FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade questions - two people on one pnr
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:20 am
weero

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by fadeforward
Actually, I think the general FT wisdom from the threads above is that you will be passed over. You can conduct an experiment if you like and see if NC1 drops to NC0. Of course, if it does, it may just be because they're zeroing out inventory, if it doesn't, it may just be because no one else ever joins the waitlist, so it's nowhere near a confirmatory experiment.
I did this experiment a few times - with a negative result. Bought a three pax PNR which - due to the lack of instruments from a single account - we split into 1 and 2 pax PNRs. As most segments had NC2 or better, we applied the 2 pax first and the single pax immediately afterward. The two NC1 segments stayed NC1 with none of us clearing.
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
..What supposedly happens is that NC1 will sit there and not be given out to single pnr pax on w/list below until the 2 people (in one pnr) are cleared (prior to DM)..
Which is in strong support that the UA PA WL system cannot jump pax, it is a simple FIFO mechanism that processes input linearly.

Not once have I encountered a situation where the PA jumps. And until this July the agents gladly informed us that we three on an NC2 flight were at the top of the WL with another 8 pax waitlisted.

But some people made different experiences in that matter. And the united.com patchware is in constant motion. So one observation does not guarantee that it can be repeated, I concede.

Last, I would be reluctant for a split in any case - a 1K is not a really high status for UA. If you are on a GS infested route, then 1Ks get bounced easily. And then you have your companion in the front and you have no seat blocking while stuck there.