FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade questions - two people on one pnr
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:01 am
fadeforward

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by Downunder girl
I find this issue very confusing. I have been told by someone who travels extensively with UA (and who was told by UA management) that IM will not pass 2 people on 1 pnr on the w/list if there is only 1 NC seat, until DM day of flight, where the clearing is then based on status, fare paid and time on w/list.

What supposedly happens is that NC1 will sit there and not be given out to single pnr pax on w/list below until the 2 people (in one pnr) are cleared (prior to DM).
Actually, I think the general FT wisdom from the threads above is that you will be passed over. You can conduct an experiment if you like and see if NC1 drops to NC0. Of course, if it does, it may just be because they're zeroing out inventory, if it doesn't, it may just be because no one else ever joins the waitlist, so it's nowhere near a confirmatory experiment.

Originally Posted by Downunder girl
Last year, similar situation, I chose to split pnrs based on advice here on FT. It worked out fine but we were of the same status last year, this year Mini DG took a dive in status . This is the main reason I have not split, I think she may need my status help if it goes to DM. Sitting in separate cabins is not an option due to her age.
No one gets anyone else's help on the DM, according to FT wisdom, so that's no reason to keep the PNRs together. On the DM, it's every person for him or herself. I think you should split. Since both of you have status, both of you can both keep your seats in E+.

Once it goes to the DM, you still have a danger of clearing without her, whether or not you split, though you could probably get a sympathetic gate agent who is willing to keep an eye on the pairing. If separate cabins are a no-go, it would depend how far out the flight is, how many seats are available, how many flights are spoken for, the day of the week, the time of day, and the usual factors for upgrade clearance estimation.

Good luck!