FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Single traveler in Australia for two months
Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:48 am
yourfather

Originally Posted by Guava
Nevertheless, it is a country that is somewhat behind the time overall with respect to gays because for the longest time it has had a conservative government that enjoyed trashing gays on national media and the country actually decriminalized homosexuality not until late 80's or early 90's only. I felt that outside of big cities such as Sydney, a lot of gays are still very much in the closet. Just keep in mind gays can be found everywhere even outside of the cities but be mindful that different people have different comfort zone, there is definitely certain degree of stigma in Australia which is generally not as blatant as in Quebec.
yeah, look, i think you are kinda right - it really depends on where you are, your behaviour and if you throw it in peoples faces.

don't stop being yourself but - being a flamer in the outback isnt a good idea.

i wouldn't say we are behind the times, because time is a human creation, it's just not something that some parts of our culture will accept, just like they wouldn't accept it in Alabama, USA - but on the bright side, we're more tolerant than say Iran, that is so certain that there are no Persian homosexuals...