Hotels

Someone Started a Petition Against Marriott Bonvoy Resort Fees

Someone Started a Petition Against Marriott Bonvoy Resort Fees
Joe Cortez

Marriott Bonvoy elite members want to see resort fees waived for top-tier elite members. A petition on Change.org is asking the company to cut the charges some hotels add on top of nightly rates for Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador members. Marriott says they “welcome the feedback.”

Marriott Bonvoy elite members are frustrated with paying resort fees and are circulating a petition in hopes to get the program’s attention. On Change.org, over 500 people have signed their name asking the company to add a resort fee waiver to the benefits list for Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador members.

In a statement to FlyerTalk, a Marriott spokesperson explained that resort and destination fees “allow our guests to experience in a convenient way the many features or activities a hotel has to offer.” In addition, the company said that bundling the amenities together under once price per night is “a better value that would otherwise cost more if charged individually.”

But the members at odds with the new program that combined Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest and Ritz-Carlton Rewards under one banner argue that resort fees only hurt loyal travelers. They claim for the money spent obtaining status through hotel stays, the add-on charges reduce the overall value of their status.

“For Marriott (and sub-brands) to charge their top-level guests $30-50 a day for things they should receive anyway is simply a bad business practice,” the petition reads. “Marriott International needs to recognize that this practice is in effect stripping benefits from their most loyal guests, then forcing them to buy those benefits back, paying an amount that can easily reach into hundreds of dollars during a single stay.”

The petition is asking frequent travelers to add their name to “demonstrate the importance of this topic,” and to encourage Marriott executives to reconsider the policy. Competing programs Hilton Honors and World of Hyatt offer resort fee waivers on free night awards, while World of Hyatt top-tier elites get resort fees waived on free night awards and eligible rates.

“We appreciate how engaged and invested our members are in Marriott Bonvoy,” the spokesperson for Marriott told FlyerTalk. “We are constantly looking for ways to improve and enhance all aspects of our program so we welcome feedback from members regardless of what channel they choose.”

Where do you stand on the resort fee petition? Follow the discussion on the FlyerTalk Forums.

[Image Source: Wikimedia/ Herry Lawford]

1. SpartyAir

March 27, 2019 at 5:02 pm

The thing about resort fees that makes me avoid hotels that charge them is that it is one price per room,no matter how many people are staying in the room. The main thing you get is breakfast paid from the resort fee. I am single, and why should I pay the same as a family of 4 that gets 4 meals to my 1. When I stayed at Sheraton in Hawaii, I made up for the inequity by not ever leaving a tip when eating in the Sheraton.

2. glob99

March 27, 2019 at 5:27 pm

Not leaving a tip does not hurt Sheraton one bit. Hotels should be forced to only advertise the price that includes resort fees! That would end this resort fee nonsense.

3. Lobster

March 27, 2019 at 7:05 pm

I boycott any hotel that charges a resort fee, as any hotel that charges one is basically saying we think all of our customers are idiots.

4. cmd320

March 27, 2019 at 7:35 pm

I wouldn’t even mind the fee so much if I still got normal Platinum benefits. It’s ridiculous that resorts are exempted from things like 4pm check out for no real reason.

5. BudgetJetsetter

March 27, 2019 at 8:25 pm

I despise the resort fee practice. It reminds me of when airfare prices were not advertised with relevant fees and taxes.

6. khamlet

March 27, 2019 at 8:49 pm

So, you screwed the waiter instead of the hotel? Nice

7. PHL

March 28, 2019 at 6:01 am

The Sheraton doesn’t lose out on you not giving a tip…the rank and file minimum wage housekeeping staff does.

There is a movement to enact legislation, at least in the USA, to stop with the mandatory resort fees. Their only purpose is to be allow properties to show lower rates on the booking engines, which is akin to a bait and switch.

8. Saidoh

March 28, 2019 at 6:14 am

Petitions are fine but we must also vote with our wallets.

9. Sydneyberlin

March 28, 2019 at 8:00 pm

I’m with Lobster. Resort fees are a nasty practice to not show the total price of the room- a rip off in any case, no matter what chain or member status.

10. tuono07

March 29, 2019 at 6:08 am

As 98% of my travels are business trips resort fees are a total waste. Besides the fact that they are being charged at hotels that are NOT resorts! Renaissance Las Vegas is a perfect example of this. $30 resort fee added at check in that got you 2 monorail tix, wine/whiskey tasting, 1 free beer at bar and 1 free desert. I arrived late one night, worked all day, dinner with clients and then out early the third day. I didn’t use any of the “Resort amenities” Rip Off

11. CDF

March 29, 2019 at 6:58 am

I despise resort fees and try to avoid hotels that charge them if at all possible. Along the same line, I will go out of my way to avoid some of the new “Urban Destination Fees” that some Marriott properties are adding. Two of the biggest things that irk me about these fees are 1) the fees are mandatory at a lot of these “resorts” and you don’t have the option to opt-out and 2) the services/benefits provided for the fee are basically worthless to me and not something I would normally spend money on if given the choice. Give me a list of amenities that I can choose to pay for or let me waive the fee if I don’t use the amenities. Don’t make it mandatory to pay an additional fee just to stay at the hotel, especially when it may be for things that I don’t want/need.