Hotels

Should You Really Be Tipping $10/Day in Hotels?

Should You Really Be Tipping $10/Day in Hotels?

In her memoir, Maid, Stephanie Land details her life as a maid and the daily struggles of trying to earn a living with hard work, low pay. One takeaway she wants people to know is to leave a tip for housekeepers, every day.

Tipping etiquette, a highly contentious topic, is determined in part by the cost of the room and how much you had your room cleaned during a stay. According to Land, guests should tip $10 every day and per person in the room. “If your stay is multiple days, tip every day you expect cleaning service. Seriously.”

Flyertalkers expressed their thoughts on Land’s suggestion.

“I don’t make a mess at home, I don’t make a mess in hotel rooms. Cleaning service for me is limited to making the bed (if I didn’t do it on autopilot), emptying the trash and fresh towels,” said CDTraveler.  “Sorry, that’s not worth a gratuity on top of the room rate.”

Often1 writes, “At a luxury hotel, I would tip $5 to the bellman even though I don’t ever check luggage so all he is doing is taking the bag out of the trunk and handing it to me. Housekeeping is $15-20/day (more if kids, etc) and butler is same. High-end restaurant should be a minimum of 20% (don’t expect a decent table ever again if you go under).”

Having worked in the hotel industry, Hotturnip adds that “…tipping housekeepers is a genuine tip in the purest sense, not a service fee. They’re paid normal wages, unlike food servers, and in union hotels, those wages can be respectable. The tip is simply a way of acknowledging that you appreciate the service they provide. Take my word for it, housekeepers are often the hardest working and most overlooked staff in the hotel. So I like to let them know that I know how important they are.”

[Image Source: iStock]

1. GetSetJetSet

March 21, 2019 at 2:50 pm

LOL @ ever tipping. These aren’t bartenders, it’s their employers job to pay them, not mine. Double LOL if this is a luxury hotel where you’re paying $500+/night then you should pay MORE on top of that for the bed being made? Get a grip.

2. Flight44

March 21, 2019 at 2:59 pm

I am a considerate guest and create no mess in the my hotel room, neatly placing towels or other items in appropriate places. I will NOT be tipping. If the hotel does not pay its staff that is not my problem.

3. cmd320

March 21, 2019 at 3:36 pm

Tipping is out of control. These are not restaurant workers with pay rates below minimum wage made up for by gratuities. I generally leave rooms as thoughtfully used as possible for the housekeeping staff. I will throw all used towels into a single pile on the bathroom floor, all used linens/robes on the bed(s), all garbage/recycle in their respective waste bins, remote by the TV, etc.

I will leave $5/night in the event I need to leave the room in any condition other than that, or in the event the housekeeping staff has gone out of their way to do something special for me of if I have had a special request of some sort. Otherwise, I think the work involved in turning over my rooms is well within their typical job description.

$10 a night is very high. I would only ever leave this amount if I left a room very messy which I never do.

4. bamboola

March 21, 2019 at 6:46 pm

$10 per day per occupant? How long does it take to clean a room? An hour? So $20 per hour if there are two occupants on top of regular wages. Really out of line!

5. geoshina

March 21, 2019 at 7:26 pm

Of course we should tip. And we should also double the value of the fees that hotels are creating. If they charge 23 USD a day, let’s round up to 50 USD, shall we?

6. VegasGambler

March 21, 2019 at 10:29 pm

So she wants us to tidy up the room before we leave and tip on top of that? Good luck with that.

Reminds me of restaurants where you line up to order at the counter, pick up your own food, and bus your own trays, and they have a tip jar. Again, good luck with that. Come to my table, take my order, bring me my food, refill my drink, clean up the table after, and you’ll get a tip. No service = no tip.

7. charlieduke

March 22, 2019 at 5:15 am

Why leave a percentage of the price of a meal as a tip ? Does the waiter do any more work for a meal costing $200 or $100. No. Why should the customer feel “ obligated” to top up the wages of staff on mimimum wage. In an expensive restaurant waiters could earn $1000 per night plus. Ludicrous

8. Gongzuokuang

March 22, 2019 at 5:22 am

What is etiquette for tipping the landscapers at the hotel? How about the maintenance workers? Oh, and the bookkeepers?

9. lpx99nl

March 22, 2019 at 5:26 am

it’s always the same problem as US they don’t want to pay the workers in hotel or restaurants. In EU 10% is accepted in all restaurants because the waiters are well paid. About the house keeping, I’m agree with Flight44. fight for your right. 10$ per person per room if you have 10 rooms with 2 person each are 200$ per day, per 25 working days are 5000$ net without any tax…I should change my job…

10. apeortdz

March 22, 2019 at 5:27 am

I leave $2 or $3 per day. I’m not gonna change that.

11. GentleGiant

March 22, 2019 at 5:30 am

Er no!

It is included in the room rate.

12. PepeBorja

March 22, 2019 at 5:31 am

I travel weekly for 3 nights 48 werks a year. I leave a thank you note and $5 bill on the nightstand. If you have to ask, question, or rationalize a gratuity for house keeping don’t do it.

13. got2scuba

March 22, 2019 at 5:36 am

I tip every day but nowhere near $10. I do not make a mess and all the maid does is vacuum the room and make the bed and some basic cleaning in the bathroom. I typically tip $3 or $4 unless I ask for some additional service. The maid may spend at the most 15 minutes in the room and I just cannot see how I should tip her $10. I do not tip when I leave the do not disturb tag out which is often.

14. PepeBorja

March 22, 2019 at 5:36 am

I travel weekly for 3 nights 48 werks a year. I leave a thank you note and $5 bill per night on the nightstand. If you have to ask, question, or rationalize a gratuity for house keeping don’t do it.

15. BMGRAHAM

March 22, 2019 at 5:38 am

I tip $1 to $2 per day even if I choose green choice with no service during my stay. For a suite upgrade I tip $5 per day. I am sure that if I were to claim $10 per day for business trip tips, my employer world reject it.

16. HanoiIG

March 22, 2019 at 5:52 am

We always tip the housekeepers but certainly not $10 EACH per day! In cheaper places, especially on short stays(which it always would be) a couple of dollars a day. In nice hotels usually 3-5 and a couple more for the turndown crew. Sometimes when I have requests, I leave a note with $5. Several have left thank you notes. Oh, BTW what if they have made an error and you have to have something sent(like there’s only one robe)? Do you tip then? It wasn’t the fault of the person who brings it, but it shouldn’t have been necessary.

I guess if we can afford five star hotels, we can afford something extra for hard working, low paid staff.

17. dhodory

March 22, 2019 at 6:09 am

Short answer: $10/day? No.
    $2-$3/day? Sure.

18. Danwriter

March 22, 2019 at 6:10 am

$5 per day is plenty. What’s out of line are hotels charging “resort” and “destination” fees. They piss off guests who may end up taking it out on other aspects of the stay.

19. stealthpilot

March 22, 2019 at 6:11 am

This is ridiculous. I agree with the other comments. I usually spend $250-500 a night on a hotel room and I expect it cleaned by a properly paid professional cleaner at that price.

Also if they really intended us to pay tips they would make it an option on the hotel bill to include via a credit card payment. In the modern economy people often don’t carry cash. When I fly to overseas countries (most of my trips) I never get local currency out of an aTM. I get by on credit cards and it isn’t that hard since Uber, taxis, railways and most restaurants and all hotels and shops take credit cards.

Finally most of my travel is business travel and my company like most others requires a proper receipt or a corporate credit card charge for an expense. If the hotel industry wanted us to tip maids they would include a tipping option on the hotel bill or on their app like restaurants, taxis and Uber do.

20. Stephen_Moore

March 22, 2019 at 6:12 am

I’ve never tipped in this situation and have no plan to start. Tipping is getting out of control in the US – these costs should be covered in the wages paid to the staff rather than relying on guests to spend even more.

21. BigJC

March 22, 2019 at 6:15 am

Often1 is full of {crap}.

22. Jeremiah Potts

March 22, 2019 at 6:23 am

I pay for the room and that cost should include ALL services.
    In my former occupation being given a tip for “doing my job” could have been viewed as “bribery” and I see no good reason to have to bribe anyone else to do their job properly.
    That goes for serving staff as well, they are employees of the establishment and should be paid properly by that establishment, they are not some sort of “freelancer”.

23. TIGA31328

March 22, 2019 at 6:26 am

One of my sisters used to work in the hotel services industry, so I’ve always left a tip since then. But this recommendation is ridiculous, I do not automatically tip for anything unless I feel the level of service provided warrants it. And even then, I am not tipping anywhere near this ‘recommendation’. I rarely let my room be cleaned every day anyhow, and may tip $5/$10 for a week stay.

Patrick

24. petemitchell

March 22, 2019 at 6:28 am

$10/person/day extra for cleaning a room is outrageous, and unfair to other low-paid positions. Let’s all be expected to tip flight attendants, gate agents, TSA agents, baggage handlers, airport bathroom cleaners, aircraft cleaners, gas station workers, grocery store stockers & cashiers, etc. at $10/task/person/day.

Coming from an American who spends much time abroad: tipping in the US is beyond ridiculous. No other country in the world comes close.

25. amt

March 22, 2019 at 6:32 am

A white millennial American women takes a job as a maid and suddenly the complaints start pouring out about an unskilled job that millions have done gratefully and for low pay all over the world for a century or more… to hang up her apron, get a book deal and start tweeting selfrightiously that’s she’s ‘been there, she understands’

Such a spoilt, entitled contemptible person… the world is screwed with this generation.

26. Ursa81

March 22, 2019 at 6:35 am

Tipping is an atrocity from feudal times. It needs to stop. The faster it stops, the faster low-paid employees are paid higher. Service is your job, you shouldn’t wait to see who is the highest bidder to do your job. My sister said her African vacation got partly ruined because rich Americans on safari pay so much tip that the luggage people don’t get paid a normal salary, only tip. So everything they do they require a specific local currency bill (this was South Eastern Africa – Tanzania or Kenya) so the country didn’t have enough of these bills so you always overpaid them, leading to a constant queue of people who wants to carry everything for you because they think you are immensely rich. Can you imagine running out of these bills when you really need help in a foreign country? Things might turn ugly real fast.

27. Beecherman

March 22, 2019 at 6:47 am

In America, the ‘tipping’ issue has gone too far. Service oriented businesses are slowing shifting the labor expense to their customers. So I do not agree with tipping in America. However, in other countries (especially in Asia) my hotel room bill includes an automatic (and mandatory) 10% or higher ‘tip’. And tipping anything on top of that would be excessive.

28. zitsky

March 22, 2019 at 6:51 am

I tip but there is no way I’m paying $20 for housekeeping.

29. GaxxyFlyer

March 22, 2019 at 6:51 am

Is this a joke? It’s a joke right?

30. Rbt001

March 22, 2019 at 6:53 am

I was in the hospitality industry for over 15 years and a graduate of the School of Hospitality Management at Florida International University. The upscale hotel chain that recruited me paid a COMPETITIVE WAGE to housekeepers who were expected to clean 16 rooms during their 8 hour shift. If there was a need for more rooms to be cleaned above the 16, then housekeepers would be paid an additional amount for each “Extra Room” they cleaned. There was no such thing as “tip envelopes.” A good hotel chain will COMPENSATE the housekeeping staff appropriately and hopefully competitively. If not, the housekeepers should seek alternative employment; lacking housekeeping staff is a sure way for management to get the message of a wage imbalance. As consumers we need to stop falling for the TIP TRAP: just because there’s a sign and jar that says TIPS doesn’t mean we need to leave a tip. Take the unknown guest at my father’s wake who didn’t know me and said to the bartender: “You know, if turn a glass up and stick in a dollar bill like this,” as he added a bill, “you’ll make more money.” There wasn’t a tip jar out because my family arranged with the caterers to pay the staff gratuities. But that seems to be the attitude these days: don’t feel you’re making enough, then put out a tip jar. The cashier that takes my order and tenders my payment wants a tip, the sandwich makers at a national chain look for tips. It’s out of control. While I have not read Land’s book, I hope she elaborated on the actual DISASTERS that housekeepers sometimes find when a guest checks out. “Just leave it, the maid will clean it,” is a terrible and discourteous philosophy. Guests should have enough respect to treat the hotel room as they would their own home, or how they would expect a house guest to treat their home. Don’t leave a mess, and yes, put trash in the can rather then on the dresser nightstand or floor. Perhaps we should be thankful that Ms. Land hasn’t opened a hotel of her own. I’m sure she would supply each room with a vacuum cleaner, Pine-sol and clean linen in the closet for her guests to make the room up before they leave.

31. shawbridge

March 22, 2019 at 6:57 am

This seems strange to me. Housekeeping staff are usually in my room for no more than a few minutes. Let’s say 15, which would be 4 per hour. Say 6 hours per day off from cleaning so 24 rooms times $10 or more. A minimum daily to of $240 per day? This is $1200 for a five day week or $60k per year. Why would that make sense as a social norm?

32. drphun

March 22, 2019 at 7:04 am

If a buck or two a day without any extraordinary service is considered an insult, then the message is not to tip anymore.

Perhaps hotel employees should tip customers every time they interact so that customers feel appreciated? Many hotel customers are traveling for work, but aren’t getting extra pay for the extra time travel requires. This would prevent customers hourly pay from being reduced because of the extra hours of the hotel stay.

33. Michael Simone

March 22, 2019 at 7:14 am

Expensive hotels?? Most of the time I’m forced to stay in them to attend a conference. A useless “resort fee” is added (who has time to enjoy anything when you are in a conference all day and networking at night?). I clean up after myself and I suspect the maid is in the room 5-10 minutes. The last time I stayed in a hotel I felt like I needed to tip and I did daily. Not happening again. I do tip servers 20-25% because I know they live off tips. Funny, but recently here in Colorado more restaurants are adding 18% to the bill and there is no tipping. My wife and I are now saving money. Weird world of tipping we have.

34. liberty805

March 22, 2019 at 7:33 am

You have to be kidding me. My friend, who is the general manager of a nice hotel in Philadelphia, tells me that her maids clean a room every 20 minutes. They get paid at least minimum wage. Now if every person tips $10 a day that means the maids are getting a minimum of $40 an hour. And if there are two people in each room–$70/hour. Crazy.

35. truckeruk3

March 22, 2019 at 7:34 am

All the time guests tip , means hotels and other establishments get away with paying low wages so no I will not tip if staff leave due to insufficient tips then the hotel will be forced to pay a decent wage.

36. midorosan

March 22, 2019 at 7:35 am

Under no circumstances whatsoever will I ever tip this is an American thing and it stinks, pay people properly and get rid of this disgusting culture which demeans the tipper and the tipped.
    I was never tipped in my life except as an eight year old boy with a paper round and then a very small amount at Christmas, when will people learn to do their jobs for the agreed pay, her in asia people are insulted if you tip the most common response “it’s my job”. Shape up America and get rid of this odious and demeaning culture.

37. brobin

March 22, 2019 at 7:47 am

Assuming 2 people in a room and 3 rooms cleaned/hour, that’s $60 an hour ON TOP of her better than minimum wage. Sorry, if she’s looking for a $70/hr job perhaps she should have prepared for a better career.
    Personally, if it’s a one night stay, I don’t tip at all. I expect a clean room on check-in and so will the guest who takes the room tomorrow. For multiple days it depends on whether anything special is requested or provided. The full cost of maid service is included in the room and I feel no more obligation to tip than I do to the building engineer for keeping the plumbing and AC working.
    It seems that tip jars and expectations are everywhere now. Even the cashier at a self-service yogurt shop has a tip jar – for what, weighing my cup and watching me swipe my card?!
    Sit-down restaurants are different – 20% is normal with +/- adjustments for good or bad service.

38. wyt

March 22, 2019 at 7:49 am

There’s a clear difference in quality of restaurant service between low-pay/high-tip countries like the US, and high-pay/low-tip countries like Switzerland. Clearly restaurant workers are happier, and provide better service, in the latter, at all levels of dining.

It should be up to restaurants, hotels, and minimum-wage laws to see that workers are paid fairly. It should not be up to the customers! I will continue to tip 20% at US restaurants. But introducing new categories of people-to-be-tipped is just a way to enable the hotels to pay their cleaning staff even less, just as most US restaurants cheat their workers. We should not be party to that.

39. wbl-mn-flyer

March 22, 2019 at 7:55 am

$10 per person per room per day for 20 minutes work per room. Well, it is good to have dreams I guess.

40. compdoc

March 22, 2019 at 8:02 am

I always tip housekeeping, I believe it is the right thing to do. Having said that $10 per person per day is ridiculous, no I would not tip that much, $5 per day total would be my max, but usually $2.

41. donna538

March 22, 2019 at 8:46 am

Never tip. The hotels already charge a lot and extra for everything else and some charge resort fees. I think if she wants more money she should talk to her employer or get a different job. My hubby works for a regional airline and their benefits are so watered down (their priority for standby is at the bottom), they have to know several jobs and several computer systems and make almost have the pay the mainline people get. With knowing several jobs they are also doing several jobs. So with this kind of reasoning you should then tip the counter check-in, gate agent and the baggage handler. SMH They even have to be the people that handle wheelchair requests and they do not accept tips. Some people in wheelchairs have offered tips and they tell them “it is our job”. These people work their butts off and very seldom get recognized for the work they do.

42. chrisboote

March 22, 2019 at 8:54 am

Only in the USA…

User midorosan is 100% correct

43. CO FF

March 22, 2019 at 9:18 am

A “standard” service (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) property expects each housekeeper to do about 12 rooms/day (assuming the hotel is running normal levels of occupancy; they will bump that up & pay OT when occupancy is high (90%+) – but I’ve seen union contracts that reduce the count to as low as 11. They also have to prep/unprep the carts you see. So it’s really 30 min/room average. Obviously, that will be higher for properties with kitchens, or luxury properties that have more in-room amenities that need attention, and lower for limited service hotels.

So if everyone tips $2/day/room, your housekeeper will get about $120/week.That’s not a lot to most of us here – but it makes a HUGE difference to them…and probably makes your hotel stay better in little ways.

44. sar7cee

March 22, 2019 at 9:48 am

The country with the best service is Japan and tipping is regarded as an insult. I hate visiting the US because everywhere there seems to be the expectation of a tip; with restaurants expecting 25% !

I know the excuse about tipping in restaurants because the staff are often on low wages, but I think another motive is that the giver is just showing-off in order to boost their ego.

45. zenhealer

March 22, 2019 at 9:54 am

Let us understand one thing plain and simple. Tipping is a quaint concept created by the stupid Americans that has now made a mess around the world in all service industries. I pay for services that are all inclusive and there is no reason for tipping any one any where. Cheers,

46. eric_o

March 22, 2019 at 10:11 am

Drugs are bad, m’kay?

47. blitzen

March 22, 2019 at 10:16 am

Things to do before leaving a hotel room:
    Ball up your towels, washcloth in the middle.
    Pick the hair out of the drain.
    Flush.
    Put garbage in the garbage.
    Tip. ($10/day, per person who stayed)
    If your stay is multiple days, tip every day you expect cleaning service.
    Seriously.

Seriously? So the person has to put new towels in the room, empty the garbage and … leave. A 5 minute job but somehow I’m supposed to tip $20 for two people (btw the job would be as simple if 1,2,3,4 people stayed there) on top of a regular wage. So if does this housekeeping is a 6 figure profession.
    And not even taking the type of hotel into account ….. sue I tip $20 a day when I sat at a Red Roof for $56 a day …..
    You can’t order people to tip … especially not if you think a tip should be more than the minimum wage per hour
    Millennials (why not blame them)?

48. RealityBites

March 22, 2019 at 10:27 am

This serves to highlight the sheer unpredictability of “tipping” in the US. For foreign visitors, it is a constant stress, trying to figure out not only who you should/shouldn’t tip but also how much is appropriate!

Also, keeping up a ready supply of small value bank notes for tipping has always been a nuisance, but in a world which is moving rapidly away from cash, it’s becoming a significant issue. Nowadays I hardly carry any cash at all EXCEPT in the US, and that cash is primarily for tipping.

49. kkua

March 22, 2019 at 10:43 am

Don’t tip ever! The housekeeping staff never observe the “do not disturb” sign and will always leave a note or vmail saying they skipped but can always return. In light of recent practice of “please reuse your towel” campaign, I have never tipped cash. If you have garbage, just bag it up and leave it outside for them to collect (just like room service dinner trays).

50. bikesonaplane

March 22, 2019 at 10:51 am

Wow, this is why my change disappears when I leave it on the tabletop. I tip when I leave but agree that the math is wacky, Housekeeping ‘cleans’ more 10+ rooms/day (at the hotels I stay at). At $10/rm (not even per person) that’s a nice tax free income (I’m assuming that they don’t report it on taxes).

51. lawrencelane

March 22, 2019 at 11:05 am

Tip if you see them in person. I only tip the housekeeping if they’ve gone beyond their normal duties of cleaning the room. A couple years back in Japan, Luxury hotel, they noticed my kid used little plastic dinosaurs in the bathtub. We came back one day to see all the dinos lined up along the edge of the tub – something truly unexpected. They were tipped for that.

52. holland

March 22, 2019 at 11:35 am

I leave a $5 on the foot of the bed every morning. I leave all the used towels in a pile together and generally only use 1 trash can, but otherwise don’t do anything to “pick up” because I don’t leave a mess other than an unmade bed.

53. gshron

March 22, 2019 at 12:20 pm

When I started working as an (intern) architect in the 90s, I took a job where I could make maybe $28k/year with overtime. Can you imagine if I had written a letter to the editor of my local paper (no internet – get it?) suggesting that my firm’s clients, who were already paying the company thousands of dollars for our services, lay out my paper and pencils for me and give me a few hundred extra bucks on the side for my hard work? How is this super-insightful article any different than that?

54. ACVFlyer

March 22, 2019 at 12:25 pm

The way I see it, tipping is included in the resort fee I am forced to pay for goods and services I never use. And now hotels are increasingly charging for parking. The list of fees outside of the price of the room is getting ridiculous. Honestly, I usually only tip when there is visible human interaction such as restaurant waitpersons, bartenders and cab drivers. Once I leave the US, I stop tipping entirely. In most of the rest of the world, tipping is not part of the culture.

55. Dianne47

March 22, 2019 at 12:55 pm

I’m American and with the “tip $2-3 per day” crowd. I stay a lot at La Quinta Inns, because I have a dog and most of their properties are pet-friendly with no additional charge. $10 per person per day is ludicrous. I don’t tip the maid in Europe or other countries.

I also travel on Amtrak quite a bit and always in a “roomette” if it’s an overnight or multi-night trip. $10 per person per night IS the standard tip for room attendants on Amtrak. They work really hard and practically 24 hours a day, they even bring meals or glasses of ice to your room if asked. I don’t mind the $10 per night on Amtrak, the attendant even handles luggage and helps passengers on and off the train.

56. RoamingGeek

RoamingGeek

March 22, 2019 at 1:21 pm

I worked for an upscale lodge in Alaska as a housekeeper for a summer and was paid well and never expected a tip unless you left the remnants of a fish you cleaned in your bathtub then sure a tip is really appreciated to compensate for the mess and extra time it takes to clean it compared to a normal situation. What is even more crazy about this is tipping for stay overs where you do 1/4 the amount of work per room. Also something to consider is in some places it is common for a different person to check the rooms vs the person who is actually cleaning the rooms.

I only tip in the situation that I leave a bigger mess than average or if housekeeping did something above and beyond the call of duty.

57. picturegal

March 22, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Most of the hotels I stay at suggest you reuse your towels and sheets, which I have no problem with. I sure don’t change them every day at home. I usually put the Do Not Disturb sign on my door unless my trash needs emptying. I’m not about to pay an extra $10/day for someone to make my bed. Especially not after working to find a hotel with an AARP discount. Not all travelers are rich or are on an expense account.

58. gking1

March 22, 2019 at 2:14 pm

We always keep our room tidy and would not considering tipping unless we have a special request ie, a fresh bath robe or extra towels. The exceptions are when we go to countries where we think the staff aren’t paid very well such as Fiji. I think the minimum wage there is about $3 an hour. $10 Fiji a day is nothing to us, but would mean a lot to them.

59. southpac

March 22, 2019 at 3:25 pm

Have seen many Americans leave no tips whatsoever in restaurants. Many workers just “try it on” when they hear a foreign accent. On holidays I’m unlikely to return to the same restaurant no matter how good the food is.

60. Markx

March 22, 2019 at 4:08 pm

No No and more No…..Only in the US…Tip everyone and you could be doing 150 a day

61. msconk

March 22, 2019 at 4:37 pm

I do not want housekeeping in my room when I am not there. Usually my room is cleaned after I check out. I leave room neat. I do not feel need to tip.

62. ConnieDee

March 22, 2019 at 5:11 pm

I take a few things into account, for example, does it look like the men on the staff make more in tips than the housekeeping staff (valet parking, porters, waiters)? If it’s an expensive hotel in a country with a low standard of living and cheap labor costs, I always wonder where those profits are going. I tip to share a bit more of my wealth with the people who are doing the work every day. Staff who don’t speak English or another international language are most likely less educated and from a lower class: it takes good education (i.e., usually a middle class background) to master an international foreign language. It doesn’t hurt to over-tip a bit, pay too much for a shoeshine, buy kleenex or gum from a street vendor, etc. I’ll opt for being generous over trying to change some bad systems by denying people a little extra for themselves and their families.

63. not2017

March 22, 2019 at 6:58 pm

Not really! I tip $5 per night for hotels under $150, and $10 a night for hotels over $150. Not per person! For road trips, where I stay in Holiday Inn Expresses, etc., I tip a couple bucks, that’s it. Tipping is bigger in the NE USA. The rest of the USA, many customers do not tip at all!

64. Tailgater

March 23, 2019 at 7:06 am

Sliver Legacy Hotel/Casino in Reno, NV issues a $10 room credit for guests that OPT OUT of room service (no matter length of stay, persons) during check-in.

65. Pretzelsandpeanuts

March 23, 2019 at 8:09 am

I leave $3-$5 a day, that is if it’s just me or with my wife. People seem to be twisting themselves into pretzels to justify their cheapness, but $10 a day per person is kind of ridiculous.

66. Resurrection

March 23, 2019 at 10:03 am

$10 a day is ludicrous. What I pay for the room (often plus “resort fee”) should in theory cover it, but I leave $3 per day. You won’t get rich as a housekeeper, but it’s still usually a generous wage. For example, I see the Shangri-la in Vancouver pays housekeeping $24.50 per/hr

67. awayIgo

March 23, 2019 at 11:01 am

I am a neat person. My trash is in the trash can. The room takes a few minutes- the bed, replenish consumable items, change towels. Even when I check out – room is near! I tip in the US $2-3 per night and $5 if there are two people! That’s it. I tip the equivalent when overseas.

68. southbeachbum

March 23, 2019 at 12:00 pm

It saddens me how hard these housekeepers have to work. And I’m pretty sure they are forced workers brought in from a debtor’s prison. So, I have resolved that I am going to hire a personal assistant to assist the housekeeper, particularly for the dirty things like cleaning hair from the bathtub and cleaning the toilet. I’m hoping, therefore, that a $5 tip will be sufficient.

69. sukki007

March 23, 2019 at 1:54 pm

@Michael Simone – and anyone else who doesn’t know this. I recently learned that my U.S. state, along with a few others, pay servers minimum wage. Servers here do NOT earn the pathetic $2.13 hourly rate that those in other states do. Apparently this is a big secret that is being kept from the public. I’m not sure which other states have this law, but if you live in one that does, and it’s one of the few that also has a $15 guaranteed minimum wage (mine is not – yet), you need to be aware. I continue to tip servers well, but not quite as well as before.

70. JackE

March 23, 2019 at 6:20 pm

She got what she wanted: attention.

If she had recommended tipping $2/day, would we have even heard of her?

71. goingawayguide

March 23, 2019 at 6:37 pm

$10 per person staying, per day? Um, no.

I do tip housekeeping, but it’s usually $5 per night – doesn’t matter if it’s just me, or me and my kids, or our whole family. If I wind up in a large two bedroom suite, then I’ll tip $7-10/night, but that’s because there is a lot more to clean with two bedrooms and two bathrooms.

72. nittfan

March 23, 2019 at 9:01 pm

I leave $2-3 per night for economy hotels, and $5 for higher end hotels. If everyone who stays in a hotel would do that, the maid would get a tidy sum each day. Suggesting $10 per day (per person yet!) is ludicrous!

73. secondsoprano

March 24, 2019 at 2:44 pm

USA, your tipping culture is an international joke. Does my head in every time I go there. And don’t get me started on the stupid tax thing.

Here’s a hint. In the rest of the civilised world THE SPECIFIED COST OF A THING IS WHAT THAT THING COSTS.

If a room costs $100, it costs $100.
    If a meal costs $35, it costs $35.
    If a haircut cost $52, it costs $52.

This bloody idiotic practice of adding tax, working out how much to tip, not offending anyone … oh my god America GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER.

74. NickM

March 24, 2019 at 9:34 pm

$10/day/person is absurd anytime and anywhere unless you’re on a cruise ship, but especially in the US outside of some really over the top service.

In the US I typically leave a $5 or $10 at the end of my stay depending how many days I stay. Usually I will leave the DND sign up the whole stay, but sometimes I’ll allow a mid-stay cleaning for fresh towels and to re-make the bed and will tip a little more.

Internationally, even though it’s typically not custom, I tip a bit more with a quick thank you note so they know I didn’t forget it – appropriate to the conditions and helpfulness of the staff.

more often though, I’ve found airbnb/vrbo/etc to be the way to go. avoid the tipping issues entirely and generally save money on the nickel and dime stuff like wifi, parking, resort fees, mini-fridge etc.

75. secondsoprano

March 24, 2019 at 11:10 pm

“The tip is simply a way of acknowledging that you appreciate the service they provide.”

1. But often I don’t want the service. I don’t need fresh towels and new sheets every day. No-one does.
    2. Here’s another “simple way” – say thank you. Write a note. Leave the room in a reasonable state so they don’t have to work so hard.
    3. Maybe it’s the Australian in me but I find giving money is the least appropriate way of acknowledging that you appreciate service. It’s crass. It’s a bribe. It’s just … uh, Americans and tipping.

76. passy777

passy777

March 25, 2019 at 1:13 am

The tipping culture is one aspect of travelling to the US I really detest.

77. fairhsa

March 25, 2019 at 1:40 am

It would never occur to me to tip a maid in a hotel. Not even in the USA. Crazy suggestion. The USA needs to look to the rest of the world and sort their service industries out. This is just ludicrous.

78. Tailgater

March 25, 2019 at 8:44 am

Others that you should be tipping at least 15%: Bus Driver, Sanitation worker, Clerk, Busboy, Gas Station attendant, Fast Food worker, Valet parker, Bartender, Hotel Housekeeper, Newspaper Carrier, US Mail carrier, Firemen standing at steet corner with empty boot (fill ‘er up), Grocery courtesy clerk, etc.

Many of these people are barely making it. Some may have huge boat payments—they can run well into the 100’s, especially if it’s a yacht. Others have gambling budgets that can really eat into one’s daily budget. Please, don’t be selfish and generously tip these people. Use cash and don’t tip on your credit card. Cash is best.

79. Landing Gear

March 26, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Was there a discussion on a Flyertalk forum about this? May I have a link to it, please?

80. IMOS

March 30, 2019 at 8:42 am

Capitalist America needs to to pay their service industries better wages and not make them depend on tips. That is so degrading to the workers. How can Americans be so pompous and think to pay minimum wage or less and expect tourists and visitors to pay their workers?