Airlines

Passengers on United COVID-19 Flight Reportedly Get Inconvenience Credit

Passengers on United COVID-19 Flight Reportedly Get Inconvenience Credit
Joe Cortez

A flyer aboard a United Airlines flight who attempted to save a man dying from COVID-19 says the carrier offered a small credit for the “inconvenience.” The airline reportedly offered 32-year-old Tony Aldapa a $200 credit, which he called “a slap in the face.”

After attempting CPR in the hopes of saving a man’s life aboard a United Airlines flight, the carrier reportedly offered thanks with a small “inconvenience” credit. Fox News reports 32-year-old Tony Alpada received a $200 airfare credit for his efforts, but the airline’s response felt like a “slap in the face.”

United Customer Care Rep “Sounded Like She Was Handed a Sticky Note” with Thanks

Adlapa was one of three flyers who attempted to save the life of 69-year-old Isaias Hernandez, who suffering from COVID-19 during a United flight between Orlando International Airport (MCO) and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Although the aircraft was diverted to New Orleans, Hernandez ultimately died due to complications of the viral infection.

The flyer told Fox News that the airline reached out exactly one month later to offer their thanks with a $200 airline voucher. Although Aldapa says he is not sharing his story for fame or monetary gain, he was disappointed with how United reached out.

“I have never threatened any kind of lawsuits and I have never asked for anything in return from any of the news outlets that have given me the time to speak with them,” Aldapa told Fox News. “What bothers me is the fact that all I received was a voucher and a phone call from a customer care representative that sounded like she was handed a sticky note that said, ‘Hey, call this guy, he was on the flight and helped out.’ That was the slap in the face.”

Immediately after the flight, Aldapa said that he has been contending with symptoms associated with the novel Coronavirus. Although he acknowledged that some of the feelings could be from doing CPR, like fatigue and soreness, others couldn’t be explained. He tested negative twice for COVID-19.

Other Flyers Reportedly Get Same Offer from United

Although Aldapa was instrumental in attempting to save Hernandez’s life, others who assisted or were aboard the flight were reportedly given the same offer. United has not publicly commented on any compensation offered to passengers.

1. mvoight

January 19, 2021 at 8:00 am

You don’t feet the symptoms that fast.
    What did he expect the airline to give him? UA didn’t receive any benefit from his efforts.
    A flight attendant could have done the CPR. They are certified in it.
    If I had done it, I would not have expected anything for it, and certainly would not whine about the airline calling to thank me and giving me a $200 credit, because I would not have done it and expected the airline to compensate me.

2. mvoight

January 19, 2021 at 8:59 am

My previous comment should have said “You can’t feel the symptoms that fast.”
    I was referring to the comment “Immediately after the flight, Aldapa said that he has been contending with symptoms associated with the novel Coronavirus”

3. NorthFlyer

January 19, 2021 at 9:25 am

My wife, who is a registered nurse, helped assist a passenger who was in medical distress while flying on a trans-Atlantic flight on Delta a few years ago. Upon our return the USA, my wife received a large gift basket of high quality food and chocolates, with a thank you note from Delta Air Lines. My wife was delighted with Delta’s consideration. We would not have expected any compensation or travel vouchers as we did not incur any costs, and the flight landed on-time in Amsterdam.

4. psusaver

January 19, 2021 at 10:43 am

What exactly is the story here? People try to save the life of other humans, or even animals around them all the time in moments of crisis. It is complicated to really put a value on it, so how exactly is anything given as a matter of gratitude being treated as a “slap in the face”. Should people have an hourly billing rate listed for any good Samaritan actions taken in public. Then it would not be good samaritan. Not only do I find this person’s complaint perplexing, I don’t see why it is being given so much coverage.

5. azmojo

January 19, 2021 at 11:08 am

I thought you couldn’t fly if you have covid?

6. Jamester

January 19, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Was on a flight from LHR back to ORD pre-Covid, when an elderly Polaris Biz customer fell ill and luckily 2 ER technicians were on board, along with 2 (non-ER) physicians. Flight diverted to Iqalut (Canada) where the sick passenger and his spouse offboarded. 3 hours later, the 4 medical providers on board returned to their Economy (and Basic Economy) seats with a $200 off voucher … AND 2 Polaris Biz seats flying empty the rest of the way. None of them were offered to take these seats. Such a shame.

7. hinshaw

January 19, 2021 at 12:34 pm

A passenger went into arrest on a flight from ORD to Hawaii years ago. My cardiologist revived him. The airline sent him vouchers good for him and his wife to travel to Hawaii in the future. I can’t remember which airline and he didn’t ask for anything. It costs the airline hardly anything for this and he appreciated the gesture .

8. justDave

January 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

United? Could have been worse. He should be glad they didn’t mistake him for a doctor.

9. scsubasteve78

January 19, 2021 at 4:54 pm

I assume this is a result of United laying off their PR staff, along with any staff that has ever been on any social media. This was a slam dunk PR opportunity that instead they seem to have thrown the ball and hit a girl in the head. Sure this wasn’t United’s fault, though one could argue if they were serious they would be doing temperature checks at boarding. For a while every 7-11 in Thailand was checking customer temperatures surely United could manage their passengers? Anyway this was a homerun opportunity for United to give this guy something grand that wouldn’t have cost them nothing like a year of flying. How much is one man going to fly in a year during a pandemic? Could have had the CEO or other executive call on the phone and say thanks for making us a better airline. You could have gotten prime media coverage for next to nothing. Instead this. Seriously United I could use a new job contact me, you need help.

10. GoProf

January 20, 2021 at 8:55 am

I really don’t see this as a slap in the face.

11. QT31415

January 21, 2021 at 1:04 pm

I once revived an unconscious passenger on a flight to hawaii. Upon landing, I was given a plastic lei.