Airlines

How Long Will Airline Coronavirus Changes Be Around?

How Long Will Airline Coronavirus Changes Be Around?

This question comes to us from the FlyerTalk forum:

So we can assume the airlines will use COVID to screw customers?

I see lots of airlines saying no carry-ons and no more free upgrades as a “safety measure.” Explain to me how upgrading FF poses a health risk exactly? This helps nothing but the airline’s bottom line. They should be cleaning every seat on the plane, and even if they NEEDED to know who was going to be where, they could close the upgrade window at t+12h or something. Beyond that, you can be sure if someone pays to upgrade 15 minutes before the flight they airline won’t balk. No meals on longhauls, no lounges, but don’t worry tickets will still be expensive! Just like all those “temporary” fees airlines institute that never go away.
What do you think?

1. edgewood49

May 13, 2020 at 12:27 pm

As the old saying goes ” In the beginning ” or “knee jerk reaction” What we see today on planes is more than likely a temporary thing continually changing/evolving until a certain comfort level is gotten. And comfort level also includes safety. It appears the 380’s are more or less done with, does not mean packed to the gills coach is but it’s a start. Having said all that until there is a definitive proven vaccine this is what we have.

The question will be how long will it take to recover and what will that recovery look like.

2. Dr.Ells

May 13, 2020 at 10:17 pm

No carry on? No flying, for most of us!
    I travel to Europe at least five times a year, sometimes for just a few days. If they won’t let me carry on, then I simply won’t go. I’m already complete in my career track (that is, a full professor), so I pick and choose my business and personal travel. If the airlines make it inconvenient, my husband would be very happy to watch me save my money and buy him a beach house!

3. the810

May 14, 2020 at 4:05 am

They will be in place until airlines realise that people either avoid flying altogether, or at least avoid flying with legacy carriers, because why pay extra if it’s the same experience as Ryanair?

With the face mask rules being put in place, restart of tourism will be virtually impossible. Very few people are gonna accept that just in order to get on a holiday.

4. taina2

May 14, 2020 at 5:01 am

I know of no company that has basically no income and is actually bleeding money for refunds can even cover their fixed expenses. They have to cut somewhere and in this case there may be liability if someone claims they caught Wuhan Virus on a flight. Hope airlines reaction doesn’t drive customers away. Much business may done virtually in the future and cost them their frequent and most profitable passengers.

5. mc4bbs

mc4bbs

May 14, 2020 at 6:09 am

Speaking of “temporary” fees, why, after oil hits record low pricing recently, does there remain a “fuel surcharge”? It seems that all of the nickel and diming from the airline industry will continue indefinitely, irrespective of the resolution of what originality caused it? I expect a COVID-19 cleaning fee to soon appear!

6. nd2010

May 14, 2020 at 8:10 am

They’ll have to allow carry on bags because everyone else will allow carry ons.

7. arcticflier

May 14, 2020 at 9:16 am

Airlines are like Politicians and neither group ever fails to exploit a human tragedy for profit and their own gain.

8. mrx900

May 14, 2020 at 9:57 am

At the end of the day, its the consumer that will make these decisions go forward —or backward. The whole flying experience was damaged after 9/11, and they started easing down on some of those….and now this. If customers stop flying, they will have to make changes that customers want. Personally, as a leisure traveler, I wont be flying if I cant have a positive experience for myself and family. Simple as that.

9. KRSW

May 14, 2020 at 10:36 am

It’s not going away.

Just take a look at 9/11… Next year will mark 20 years.

The restrictions in 2002 were far less onerous than in 2020. In 2002, you could still bring water, keep your shoes, keep your dignity (no nude-o-scopes or government gropes.) Besides the airport, how many other places do you have to show an ID now to gain entry? Walk through a metal detector?

Number of terrorists stopped by the TSA: 0. But you still have plenty of Kettles saying, “As long as it keeps us safe…” I’m seeing the same Kettles blindly doing things in response to COVID, many which science does NOT support. And just like security, I see the Kettles doing things which actually puts them at greater risk.

10. SamirD

May 14, 2020 at 11:14 am

It’s got to be hard trying to keep an airline afloat at these times, and I’m sure a lot of the decisions are financially motivated because if they don’t do them, they will simply not be there any more. The CCP did a good job of F ing over the whole world.

11. snidely

May 14, 2020 at 11:36 am

We only do carryons for all trips – foreign and domestic. Sometimes check if coming back w. purchases. Often take a Jet Blue flite from FLL-SFO that lands at SFO about 10:30PM. Often it arrives late so if it lands at 11:15 I can still make last BART train to Okld. aat midnite. If I had to add 30 minutes to get luggage, wouldn’t make it in time.

12. OZFLYER86

May 14, 2020 at 7:27 pm

airfares Australia to USA in peak season January summer school holidays have never ever been cheaper.

In USD$

Just over $500 return & that’s peak season !!!!!

Apart from maybe wearing masks, think everything should return to some sort of normal in next 2 to 3 months.

13. dginil

May 15, 2020 at 3:31 pm

KSRW, as far as doing things not supported by science, the science jury is definitely still out as far as this virus goes, but increasingly it is showing to be a stronger airborne contagion than first thought. That makes a jet cabin a flying gas chamber regardless of the number of HEPA filters or air exchanges. Three minutes is probably 2.9 minutes too long if you are seated near an infected passenger — and by near that likely means further than 6 feet, depending on the directional airflows.

14. AJNEDC

May 16, 2020 at 9:25 am

@Ozflyer86: Cheaper? I suppose… Given that I never fly economy, I never consider prices in that sector. I do know that I have been monitoring business class prices from Lax to Sydney and prices are in the $6,000 range. I would hardly consider that cheap. Then again, I suppose it is cheaper when business class used to be priced at $14,000.

Customers would be stupid to pay regular premium prices for degraded service. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars and do not get lounge or meals – i’e the full experience.