Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

So we can assume the airlines will use COVID to screw customers?

Old May 13, 20, 8:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I see lots of airlines saying no carry-ons and no more free upgrades as a "safety measure." Explain to me how upgrading FF poses a health risk exactly? This helps nothing but the airline's bottom line. They should be cleaning every seat on the plane, and even if they NEEDED to know who was going to be where, they could close the upgrade window at t+12h or something. Beyond that, you can be sure if someone pays to upgrade 15 minutes before the flight they airline won't balk. No meals on longhauls, no lounges, but don't worry tickets will still be expensive! Just like all those "temporary" fees airlines institute that never go away.
Old May 13, 20, 9:59 am

Programs: United, Delta
United shows (again) it protects profits over staff and customers

United has now said that the role of plane staff is "informational" rather than enforcement for mask wearing.
This is notable.
First, compassion for the attendants: Enforcing mask-wearing is a tricky role in an emotionally heightened stress time.
However, United DOES mandate an enforcement role to attendants over such matters, as, for example, someone moving from a basic economy seat to an economy plus seat. There, enforcement. Purpose: Profit protection for shareholders (and the executives whose compensation is linked to share price).
For mere protection of the health of the light attendants or passengers--which is what mask wearing is about--that's "informational."
This prioritization of profits and executive compensation over health is morally repugnant as well as insane from a public health perspective, in my opinion.
Old May 13, 20, 10:51 am

Programs: US Gold
What's the reasoning behind no carry-ons? And does that mean nothing at all except what's in your pockets, or are there exceptions?

wg
nsx1164 and strickerj like this.
Old May 13, 20, 11:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wendyg View Post
What's the reasoning behind no carry-ons? And does that mean nothing at all except what's in your pockets, or are there exceptions?

wg
I'm sure the actual reasoning is so they can make more $ charging for bags to be checked.
Old May 13, 20, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet View Post
I see lots of airlines saying no carry-ons and no more free upgrades...
Really?
You see lots of airlines doing this?
What have I been missing?
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 13, 20, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I see lots of airlines saying no carry-ons and no more free upgrades as a "safety measure."
Google can't find me any airline doing this.

Please enlighten us.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 12:09 am

I'm seeing reduced carry-ons, so laptop bags etc are OK but not rollaboards. A reason I've seen given is to reduce congestion getting on and off as people struggle with these larger bags. I have also noticed that these rollaboards will be carried in the hold free of charge.

Seems fair enough to me.
Old May 14, 20, 6:31 am

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post
I'm seeing reduced carry-ons, so laptop bags etc are OK but not rollaboards. A reason I've seen given is to reduce congestion getting on and off as people struggle with these larger bags. I have also noticed that these rollaboards will be carried in the hold free of charge.

Seems fair enough to me.
Not to me though. When I travel from Europe to New Zealand I'm supposed to be wearing the same clothes for 36h?

Last edited by tiharoa; May 14, 20 at 11:54 am
Old May 14, 20, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by tiharoa View Post
Not to me though. When I travel from Europe to New Zealand I'm supposed to be wear the same clothes for 36h?
Is there something wrong with you that you would need to change?
Old May 14, 20, 7:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I see lots of airlines saying no carry-ons and no more free upgrades as a "safety measure." Explain to me how upgrading FF poses a health risk exactly? This helps nothing but the airline's bottom line. They should be cleaning every seat on the plane, and even if they NEEDED to know who was going to be where, they could close the upgrade window at t+12h or something. Beyond that, you can be sure if someone pays to upgrade 15 minutes before the flight they airline won't balk. No meals on longhauls, no lounges, but don't worry tickets will still be expensive! Just like all those "temporary" fees airlines institute that never go away.
Specifically, which carriers are restricting carry-ons from pre-Covid times?
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 7:57 am

Programs: Miles&More AirNZ BA Emirates Finnair Plus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
I suppose in some Countries it'd be deemed socially acceptable to wear the same clothes for almost two days uninterruptedly.........
Old May 14, 20, 8:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Silver Fox View Post
If you have a layover in a lounge with a shower in between longhaul flights you don't like to shower and put on fresh clothes?
LifeontheBeach likes this.
Old May 14, 20, 10:24 am

Programs: DL Gold
Carry on restrictions I've been able to find:
Emirates - no carry ons except a handbag or briefcase
Scoot - carry on limited to 3 kgs
Lufthansa - strongly encouraging only one carry on (no size or weight specified)
Finnair - one carry on that must fit under the seat

Emirates, Scoot, and Lufthansa seem to be increasing the checked bag allowance

Last edited by Vecturist14; May 14, 20 at 2:25 pm
Old May 14, 20, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta, Hyatt & Marriott Bonvoy
Pretty simple what will happen

Airlines will be forced to raise prices to account for filling 2/3rds of an aircraft but the rise in prices could be reduced due to cheap jet fuel which will stay low as long as airlines are not flying much. I don't see airlines getting back to even 25% of pre-COVID19 without treatments and enough testing & proof COVID antibodies give people immunity. The economy will be down hard until 2021. I have two trips planned for November & December but I'm not sure if either will be wise with a 50% likelihood I'll have to cancel them unless my wife & I are tested & found to be immune.
When we do fly upgrades will be harder to get even for premium flyers.Most rational people will not fly at all if they don't need to. Business travelers will only fly when it's really necessary. What good is flying to visit a customer if the customer won't get near you or even let you visit them, take them to lunch/dinner in the first place if there is a place open to take them? What good is going on vacation if there are limited places to go & zero entertainment? I won't fly without carry ons, my briefcase will always stay with me. I will be forced into zoom calls for the foreseeable future. When I must take the chance to fly
Old May 14, 20, 12:44 pm

Yes, some airlines are doing it already! Flying premium class nowadys mean seating in a F or C seats only!!. If you are lucky you can have a suite and cocoon yourself. But the rest of the premium services are gone! Appalling attitudes!! In the future I will have to inform myself profoundly over the services available onboard through the airlines before booking. Better have it in written form, so you have something against them if they do not deliver as offered!
Let us see if they are willing to bring back those lost services soon or if they charge us extra for them!!

Search this Thread