Cathay Pacific

Cathay Releases Lounge Etiquette Guidelines

Cathay Releases Lounge Etiquette Guidelines
Ryan Boyd

Cathay Pacific has released a list of guidelines for guests using the carrier’s airport lounges necessary to “ensure an enjoyable lounge experience for all.”

Among the guidelines put in place by Cathay Pacific:

• To keep noise levels to a minimum, please wear headphones when using personal devices, set your mobile ringer to vibrate, and keep conversations low.
  • Smoking cigarettes, pipes or cigars (including electronic cigarettes) is not permitted.
  • Please avoid placing your feet on any piece of furniture, including tables, chairs and other items.
  • For hygiene and safety reasons, bare feet are not permitted.
  • To maintain quality hygiene and health standards, please use utensils when taking food from the buffet.

So if you’re planning on clipping your toenails in the Cathay lounge while vaping, you might want to do it elsewhere.

To read more on this story, go to Boarding Area.

[Photo: Shutterstock]

1. infinite97

January 16, 2019 at 2:05 pm

Pretty sad that common sense and decency need to be spelled out like this.

2. ph-ndr

January 16, 2019 at 2:32 pm

People doing video calls on their phones and having the sound on and thinking they need to yell across the planet to be heard…. should be flogged. Possibly also be told to walk the plank. But first flogged. At least.

3. patch8

January 16, 2019 at 7:29 pm

glad to see that an airline has the guts to reign in some rude behavior…..but, yes, it is pretty sad that it has to be addressed with policy……

4. vishalgupta22

January 16, 2019 at 9:52 pm

@Infinite97: So true. Unfortunately the fact is that the mobile are becoming epidemic. I see people having video calls everywhere (lounges, airports, train stations, moving trains/busses and even hospitals). If this is not enough, I have also seen enough people playing music on their cellphones in busses / trains (doesn’t sound bad coz I forgot to say, playing music on speakerphone, not headphones)

5. DragonSoul

January 16, 2019 at 10:10 pm

Changing demographics of lounge users. Some people simply don’t know how to act in places outside of their usual situation.

6. tkelvin69

January 17, 2019 at 2:38 am

This will only work if enforced. Lots of lounges with quiet areas with people talking loudly.

7. Dr. HFH

January 17, 2019 at 5:14 am

It’s about time. More lounges should do this, too. And have the staff enforce these guidelines. Refusal to comply should result in ejection and loss of privileges for some period of time, regardless of the basis for admission, even premium cabin.

8. WASSadFlyer

January 17, 2019 at 10:14 am

If only leaving a sign were sufficient. The lounges need to start kicking people out who act like louts. I can’t even imagine walking in my bare feet, listening to music without headphones, or just grabbing food with my bare hands. What is wrong with people?

God, I sound like my father.

9. MrGood

January 17, 2019 at 10:18 am

I’ve seen people doing some pretty sad and gnarly things in several different lounges…doesn’t matter how fancy the lounge it is. And there’s a problem with etiquette in lounges in general! Ex: people eating off their plates with their hands as they’re walking through the buffet; screaming urchins running around; etc!!

But if there ARE consequences for breaking the lounge etiquette rules, this would stop asap!

10. bearbrick

January 17, 2019 at 7:02 pm

It’s the dreaded feet ( in particular with SHOES on ) on the sofa / seat even tables that gets me riled. Can be to,elated If they had airline socks on , but when it’s shoes or trainers it’s a big No.

11. RobertClouse

January 18, 2019 at 6:12 am

I agree completely with infinite97. I have not seen this behavior in the lounges I utilize from Cathay in Seoul, Hong Kong or Kuala Lumpur, but it just seems sad that it has to be stated.

12. floridastorm

January 18, 2019 at 6:23 am

Unfortunately, the unwashed masses are traveling these days. That is why many people don’t like to travel anymore.

13. MitchR

January 18, 2019 at 6:30 am

Unrestrained children running around and yelling and screaming. Please use the children’s area. If you need an emotional comfort animal to fly, please avoid the Club. Trained service animals are fine, but this isn’t a place to let your pets roam free.

14. testycal

January 18, 2019 at 6:33 am

Comes down to how we were parented for the most part and not being selfish but thinking of others first.

15. shelby101

January 18, 2019 at 6:36 am

It is definitely needed as I have encountered many folks who think they are in a private bunker. All airlines should do this.

16. exit2dos

January 18, 2019 at 6:48 am

Pretty basic stuff. No tank tops cut off jeans, sandals for men. No sleeping on sofas or floors. Taking human portions of food. No outside food. no reading phones in toilet stalls. No pushing and shoving. Wearing clean clothes

17. bclossin

January 18, 2019 at 6:53 am

Hopefully Delta will implement similar guidelines…and enforce them.

18. wreednelson

January 18, 2019 at 7:19 am

Phone zombies are the worst. I had a guy come into the gym at a hotel I frequent and make a phone call using Airpods. The gym has all hard surfaces, so I could hear everything, even over my own headphones playing a movie. After 35 minutes of his driveling he moved to the treadmill right next to my bike. There were 3 identical treadmills further away. I lost it. Ripped of my own headphones, jumped off the bike and verbally lit him up. I should have done it 15 minutes earlier. Anyway… it’s not a lounge story, but this is the clueless mentality we deal with these days.

19. BMGRAHAM

January 18, 2019 at 7:37 am

How about rules on what to wear?

20. TimeFlyer

January 18, 2019 at 10:26 am

I can only agree and see this as something positive. As so many else here, I have observed loud video-calls, running/screaming children and feet’s up on the chair next. And in our cases, it’s really not that often we visit Lounges – meaning all these things must be happening quite often. Completely unacceptable and selfish behaviour. Simply no common sense used IMO.
    So yes, sadly but true, rules are needed – and if nothing more – staff should really be enforcing the rules by – surely ever so politely – by actually speaking to the travellers acting inappropriate.

TimeFlyer

21. meditek

January 18, 2019 at 10:30 am

Not before time but looking at hotels with similar attempts to keep up standards it’s a waste of paper. I have yet to see a manager with the courage to apply their own regulation. Unruly children often accompanied by parents in beachware, staring at mobiles are the bane of the business class traveller from lounge to dinner at the best hotels. It began with socialism.

22. ijgordon

January 18, 2019 at 11:55 am

Wait – I can put my feet on the furniture (ottoman) onboard in F/J, but not in the lounge? Hmmm…

23. zoey59

January 18, 2019 at 5:31 pm

Ok I echo all of above – especially the use of hands when tings readily available — now if only these common rules of human decency were followed without the signs

24. ntzanos

January 19, 2019 at 1:55 am

@Infinite97 totally agree with you!

25. awayIgo

January 19, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I don’t care what you wear, as long as you don’t smell. Bottom line, behaviors, as those listed in the rules, impact on others and once upon a time weee common manners. All I want are “rules” for common manners.

I also don’t care who is in business or first – as long as they behave.

26. ZGtomcat

January 21, 2019 at 4:36 am

Absolutely agree, maybe wrong parallel but I still remember certain gentleman “establishing” his office at executive floor at Grand Hyatt SIN back in 2012, he took loads of food and sparkling wine, took best table only for himself, and had at least dozen calls loudly…
    Or even today morning at ZAG I had to witness a guy on his phone giving lesson to his secretary about this and that…
    As for dress code I was always struggling in MEA region where I would be impolite having designers leather sandals, while domestic gents would get go ahead since it is part of “national dressing code” …