FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Elite Instant Upgrade for International Flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1346932-elite-instant-upgrade-international-flights.html)

_kepeli_ May 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Elite Instant Upgrade for International Flights?

Can anyone confirm whether or not the 1K instant upgrade benefit for M-fare tickets applies for international flights? (e.g. LAX - SYD)

Thanks in advance...

mccullo3 May 16, 2012 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by _kepeli_ (Post 18587472)
Can anyone confirm whether or not the 1K instant upgrade benefit for M-fare tickets applies for international flights? (e.g. LAX - SYD)

Thanks in advance...

Simple answer for that route is No.

M upgrades are only valid on flights that you are eligible for UDU. You need to use a GPU (SWU) for that flight and your fare must be W or higher.

_kepeli_ May 16, 2012 3:34 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply...

craz May 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by mccullo3 (Post 18587519)
Simple answer for that route is No.

M upgrades are only valid on flights that you are eligible for UDU. You need to use a GPU (SWU) for that flight and your fare must be W or higher.

Im not aware of a single Intl flight where Y or Ms get UPed for nothing. Its usually a CO-Pay with Miles and $$ depending on the fare purchased decides the amount of each that must be forked over

* except for Can,Mex, CA and certain SA mkts where its considered like a Domestic flight but its Domestic FC rather then BF even if its called BF

WineCountryUA May 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by craz (Post 18588285)
Im not aware of a single Intl flight where Y or Ms get UPed for nothing. Its usually a CO-Pay with Miles and $$ depending on the fare purchased decides the amount of each that must be forked over

* except for Can,Mex, CA and certain SA mkts where its considered like a Domestic flight but its Domestic FC rather then BF even if its called BF.

Any CPU flight is eligible, so in addition to the exceptions you *, there is also "Intra-Asia, Oceania"
So a fair number of Intl flights include YBM instant ugrades.

sfo_oak May 16, 2012 6:58 pm

yes, i got one today on TPE-NRT. Pleasantly surprised!

craz May 16, 2012 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 18589415)
Any CPU flight is eligible, so in addition to the exceptions you *, there is also "Intra-Asia, Oceania"
So a fair number of Intl flights include YBM instant ugrades.

I was sort of saying any flight where its not BF but FC domestic metal so yes NRT-HKG or HKG-SIN among others fall under that however NRT-SIN doesnt since its not a Domestic metal plane

so basically US to Europe,Asia,Africa or the Middle East no freebes.I believe Brazil and Argentina are the only 2 SA Countrys that use Intl metal no freebes.

But most of the time when new folks ask they think those Intl planes are also included as freebes

kunk00 Jul 9, 2012 7:33 pm

platinum buy B ticket no instant upgrade, is it worth?

What is the probability to get upgrade? It is HKG-SFO long haul ticket.

ijgordon Jul 9, 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by kunk00 (Post 18899701)

Close to zero chance, without requesting an upgrade for miles or GPUs.

ethernetWeasel Jul 10, 2012 12:31 am

Chance for upgrade

I have put in for upgrades with miles and $, and I have a 40% upgrade rate. It seems to have risen to 50% as I have progressed from Silver to Gold.

EW

FriendlySkies Jul 10, 2012 12:56 am

As already mentioned, you'll have to use Miles & CoPay or a SWU to attempt an upgrade into C. Just be warned that HKG-SFO is a very tough flight to upgrade. My last time on this flight (March), saw more than 50 people waitlisted for an upgrade to C! IIRC, only two or three cleared at the gate. Lots of unhappy 1Ks, etc, when they were told to board with their Y seats.