Mileage Running to New York via Delta First Class for Alaska Airlines MVP Status

Subscribe
New York City
Day 3

Since this was a short weekend trip, it was time to leave on our third day. On the morning of departure, we took a quick walk up to the Flat Iron building. There was some morning light coming through the buildings which made viewing quite picturesque.

We took a quick walk through Eataly again this morning to collect some olive oil. We happened to see Mr Henry Winkler (“The Fonz”) enjoying a proscuitto meal. I had happened to see him on NBC Morning show by Rockefeller Square earlier in the day giving out Hatchables to the Christmas crowd spectators other wise I wouldn’t have recognized him.

It was a beautiful morning as we walked the short distance back from Flatiron back through Union Square to the hotel. The neighborhood here is much more enjoyable than Times Square or Grand Central where many other hotels are located.

We took a Carmel car from the Hotel to LaGuardia Terminal C. Our driver collected us in a Toyota Avalon and we were through Manhattan and over to LaGuardia within less than 30 minutes.

All in, New York City is a great place to visit for a weekend or a week. It’s one of the places that is always on the list of cities to visit in my book. The stay at the W Union Square was okay - not too spectacular but so conveniently located in a nice neighborhood that I'd seriously consider staying a second time even through the breakfast was odd and the restaurant inside let me down.
Delta Airlines SkyClub
Terminal 3
La Guardia Airport, New York

We checked in with Delta Sky Priority. Mr Joe Biden had previously made comments about La Guardia – comparing it to being the equivalence to a third world country. They must have done some upkeep and refurbishments since then. Aside from being a smaller space that seems to be busting at the seams sometimes, it was bright and freshly painted on our visit.

We used TSA Pre-Check and were through with only about 10 persons in line ahead of us. We past the “Flag of Honor” that contained the names all all those that lost their lives in the terrorist attacks of 9/11.

We made our way to the Delta Sky Club at LaGuardia. It was easy to get around this Terminal. Terminal 3 was pretty small and everything was conveniently located and close to each other.

We were admitted thanks to our international boarding passes and class of service that allow access; even to Canada. We found a medium sized lounge with lots of natural light.

There were great tarmac views of regional aircraft.

There wasn’t a lot of food on offer. It had the typical 3 salad offering and the 2 soups. There wasn’t anything like the fancy food on offer at the LAX Delta Sky Club and it was substantially less than the AAdmirals Club that we also experienced at LAX. I topped up with a few soup servings. Aside from this- it was pretty much it for offerings.

Overall, it was a reasonable place to pass through. The catering wasn’t anywhere near as nice as the Delta lounge in Los Angeles or anywhere near as nice as some other lounges we’ve had the opportunity to visit. It was a place to visit and lounge in but don't expect to leave full under most circumstances.
Quote: La Guardia Airport, New York

We checked in with Delta Sky Priority. Mr Joe Biden had previously made comments about La Guardia – comparing it to being the equivalence to a third world country. They must have done some upkeep and refurbishments since then. Aside from being a smaller space that seems to be busting at the seams sometimes, it was bright and freshly painted on our visit.
This is the funny part of LGA. The Delta terminal is very nice, mostly because I believe Delta already spent a ton of money to redevelop their part of LGA, where as United, Southwest, Spirit, and parts of AA's flights squat in the dumpy central terminal building, or Terminal 2 as it's also known. That building is a total pit. Here's a picture I took back in 2014 of where they hung a tarp parallel to the ceiling to catch the leaks from the rain, and then ran a garden hose into a trash can... (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-combo-y.html)

That being said... it's home to the Amex Centurion Lounge, and if you're flying United, possibly the fastest precheck lane known to mankind. I can get from the lounge to gate in 5 minutes, and that with going through security The same can't be said for the Southwest pier, because for some unknown reason, they don't have a precheck lane for those gates...
Quote: This is the funny part of LGA. The Delta terminal is very nice, mostly because I believe Delta already spent a ton of money to redevelop their part of LGA, where as United, Southwest, Spirit, and parts of AA's flights squat in the dumpy central terminal building, or Terminal 2 as it's also known. That building is a total pit. Here's a picture I took back in 2014 of where they hung a tarp parallel to the ceiling to catch the leaks from the rain, and then ran a garden hose into a trash can... (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-combo-y.html)

That being said... it's home to the Amex Centurion Lounge, and if you're flying United, possibly the fastest precheck lane known to mankind. I can get from the lounge to gate in 5 minutes, and that with going through security The same can't be said for the Southwest pier, because for some unknown reason, they don't have a precheck lane for those gates...
Classy photo krazykanuck; there is nothing like rain into a garbage can to make the place look nicer.

LaGuardia today does look a little brighter than the average USA airport. Although I don't think it's enough to make you want to switch over from somewhere else. I think the advantage to the place is it's location.

Delta Airlines
Compass Airlines Operated as Delta Connection
First Class (A)
MSP-LGA (La Guardia new York – Minneapolis St Paul)
DL 1518
December 13, 2016
Booked: MD-90
Flown: MD-90
Departure: 2:26PM
Arrival: 4:29 PM

We headed for the gate right at T-45 and arrived just as premium boarding was being called. There isn’t a lot of room around LGA gates but we managed to squeak around the crowds and get on board without too many hassles. There was, nevertheless, quite a bit of gate lice today.

On board the older MD90 was recently refreshed with the current version pleather seats, with in seat power.

Delta offered an open bar pre-departure beverage in a plastic cup so I went with a gin and tonic. I have to say that this is an excellent feature and I could really get used to this!

I did some plane spotting on our taxi and I was able to make out a star of “The Apprentice” parked on the apron at LGA. That’s a T, a big “T” (laughing).

We had a steep climb leaving LGA today with a hard right run as we departed. I was seated on the left side of the aircraft. Our track took us over manhattan just north of the Central Park. This was the airport that Captian Joe Sullenberger struck his flight of birds when he landed on the Hudson. As we went over enjoying the views, I was also plane spotting the Teteborough Airport which seemed incredibly close across the Hudson and was re-constructing the whole incident, from a Clint Eastwood movie goer’s perspective anyway.

Despite the flight showing as having “meal services” on our purchased ticket itinarery, it was a snack basket only today of popcorn, pita chips, pretzels, kit kats and granola bars. I ended up with two rounds of popcorn chips since we didn’t really stop for lunch prior to departing and the W Continental Breakfast was wearing off. This was paired with white chardonnay wine.

There was no monitors on the flight. Entertainment was avaialbe through the in flight GoGO App. I didn’t bother since it’s not much fun watching on a small iphone screen.

We had a cold approach into MSP with some pretty views. The weather looked absolutely freezing outside and it was confirmed to be –15 Celcius on the ground when we landed.

A nice flight but I can't get used to the no food part to these flights. Arrive full because there isn't always food on board.
Delta Airlines SkyClub
Near Gate F1
Minneapolis St Paul International Airport

Since we had a light breakfast, lounge food, and only light snacks on the plane, we were pretty hungry by the time we arrived at MSP.

We ended up at the Rock Bottom Brewery restaurant which claimed to brew beer on side. I didn’t see any vats but I could be mistaken. It seemed to have a line up of people waiting to get in which is unusual for an airport restaurant. I took it as a good thing.

I had a Laredo burger with guacamole and spicy aioli. It was super tasty along with their Klosch beer.

Afer dinner, we headed over to the Delta Airlines Sky Club near Gate F1. The club had several pop up displays that indicated that the club was under partial refurbishment.

The lounge dragons admitted us with our international itinary and proceeded to explain that due to the reconstruction, that there were no hot items for consumption in the lounge. The lounge was a large space with windows. The windows were obscured with decals. On closer examination, the windows over looked a gate jet bridge, meaning that the view was almost compleletely obstructed.

Cold salads were on offer, in addition to “self serve” liquor and wine.

It was almost like camping or going to a BBQ. Grab some mix people!

I picked up some magazines here, in addition to a copy of the New York Times newspaper The flagship lounge in this Delta hub was under complete rennovation. It wasn’t the best in the world, but it was a reasonable place to bunk down in the middle of a snow storm to wait and was better than the general concourse. Delta has either had great luck with the real estate acquisitions as most Sky Club’s that I’ve visited have had great outdoor looking windows; whereas this one overlooked a jet bridge and was partially obstructed in the view. People aren’t really missing much by not seeing the inside here.
Really great photos, thanks for the trip report!

Good to see you made a domestic MR less painful with a stay in NYC.
Looks like you had a good flight to MSP from LGA. I've taken that flight many times on the way home from visiting family in NY!

Looking forward to your next part!
Quote: Really great photos, thanks for the trip report!

Good to see you made a domestic MR less painful with a stay in NYC.
Thanks Madone59. New York City is great for a mileage run. It's much better than the last one that I had to Baltimore. LOL.

Quote: Looks like you had a good flight to MSP from LGA. I've taken that flight many times on the way home from visiting family in NY!

Looking forward to your next part!
Thanks for your continued support 757. It's great to have that connectivity to NYC from MSP.
Delta Airlines
Compass Airlines Operated as Delta Connection
First Class (A)
MSP-YVR (Minneapolis St Paul – Vancouver International Airport)
DL 5693
December 13, 2016
Booked: Embrauer RJ 175
Flown: Embrauer RJ 175
Departure: 8:00 PM
Arrival: 10:22 PM

Our flight left from the G Concourse and Gate 13. We headed out from the lounge at T-60. We collected our duty free at the gate through the attendant and headed onto the plane. There were lots listed on the upgrade list tonight.

Another narrow bodied aircraft once we settled in on board. We had an additional open bar pre-departure beverage was offered. This time it was Canadian Club and Coke. I have to say a big thumbs up with the open bar pre-departure drinks- much better than this or that and nothing else.

We departed into the night of MSP. It was pretty dark and cold looking outside.

There was a dinner service offered. The choices were a Cold chicken Noodle Salad or a Beef Tenderloin with blue cheese sauce. I took one for the team and had the beef tenderloin paired with a red wine (unknown brand / label). It was surprisingly tasty for airline catering in the United States.

No duty free services offered on the flight in case there were any last minute requests.

Canada Border Services Agency Custom Declaration cards were passed out about 2 hours into the flight.

It was mostly smooth sailing tonight despite strong headwinds.

The approach was over the United States and Mount Baker over dark and snowy terrain. We were into Gate E90 at Vancouver and through CBSA really quickly with bags out almost instantly (for a change).

Delta Airlines was reasonable and I'd easily choose them for another trip across the USA. It's too bad their divorce with Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan is final as I would have probably enjoyed them many more times as they serve both LAX, SLC and MSP from my home base here in Vancouver. The food and service seemed to be a step above my last United, Alaska and American flights so I'd easily endorse them over the others.

Hope you enjoyed following along on this trip report!!

Coming up:

The South Pacific: Fiji, New Zealand and French Polynesia via Fiji Airways, Air New Zealand and Air Tahiti Nui Business Class

MrsWT73 and I are ticketed and off to the South Pacific via Fiji, New Zealand and French Polynesia on a variety of (new to us) airlines in business class. Hope you'll check back in the late summer of 2017.