FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Rudest Airport Award goes to.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1248453-rudest-airport-award-goes.html)

Catusa Dec 8, 2012 3:08 pm

In the US it would have to be EWR. One time the customs agent "welcomed" me back into the US by asking me when I was leaving. Granted it may have been a valid question because I am American who lives overseas but thats the first and only thing he said to me.

Overseas it would be CAI. If you don't know somebody and a hotel isn't helping to facilitate things at the airport then be prepared for a long wait and if you haven't filled out your form correctly then he may just throw it back in your face, literally. Doesn't matter if you are travelling with multiple young children or a very, very elderly woman returning from the Hadj because I have seen both disrespected and mistreated by customs agents. The Egyptian airport personnel are in stark contrast to the local Egyptians whom I find very friendly and welcoming and some of the nicest people I have even met.

x1achilles Dec 8, 2012 4:55 pm

Rude

MIA hands down. The service and retail staff there are so rude its unbelievable.

99luftballoons Dec 8, 2012 10:31 pm

LAX? I fly through it all of that time and have never had an issue. :confused:

EWR on the other hand, service with a snarl.

Thunderroad Dec 9, 2012 3:44 pm

Surprisingly, given that it's such a nice city, I've found the SEA TSA staff dealing with baggage security when I'm connecting from an overseas to domestic flights to be rude, barking orders to the passengers.

More generally, EWR takes the cake.

Overseas: BUD.

dranz Dec 10, 2012 7:48 am

I agree with most of the nominations. I'll add San Antonio and Indianapolis ... both airports
sent LEOs, insisting that by charging my laptop in the gate area, I was, "stealing
electricity." YGBSM.

caGALINDO May 7, 2014 9:25 pm

would be nice to compare a tally for 2013-2014

CMK10 May 7, 2014 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Thunderroad (Post 19825332)
Surprisingly, given that it's such a nice city, I've found the SEA TSA staff dealing with baggage security when I'm connecting from an overseas to domestic flights to be rude, barking orders to the passengers.

More generally, EWR takes the cake.

Overseas: BUD.

BUD? Really. I was just there and found everyone I interacted with to be very friendly.

BuildingMyBento May 7, 2014 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by Catusa (Post 19820246)

Overseas it would be CAI. If you don't know somebody and a hotel isn't helping to facilitate things at the airport then be prepared for a long wait and if you haven't filled out your form correctly then he may just throw it back in your face, literally. Doesn't matter if you are travelling with multiple young children or a very, very elderly woman returning from the Hadj because I have seen both disrespected and mistreated by customs agents. The Egyptian airport personnel are in stark contrast to the local Egyptians whom I find very friendly and welcoming and some of the nicest people I have even met.

CAI staff wouldn't let me leave the airport after I checked-in. Not that it would've been to get fresh air, but I had time to kill and the terminal (not T3) was claustrophobic. So yep, not a fan...

As for rudest airports, I'd say the Western Hemisphere as a whole sounds about right.

Specifically for security staff, the world should emulate Japan.

Forrest Bump May 8, 2014 8:51 am

PER, LHR, SVO come to mind.

milepig May 8, 2014 1:52 pm

It's odd. I have all sorts of airports I hate for various reasons - CDG and LHR being toward the top - but not because of rudeness, they're just generally hateful places to be.

Maybe I'm just immune to rudeness when I travel and pay no attention. Oh wait, the gatekeepers at the UA contact lounge at AMS are toward the top of the heap. Surprisingly, since I have no other gripe with Schiphol and it is actually my European entry-point of choice.

pinniped May 8, 2014 1:57 pm

Did someone bump this thread because PHL and MIA suddenly became friendly airports?

(Never mind...it was a rhetorical question... :o)

fracmeister May 8, 2014 7:38 pm

Hmm... lot's of posts from people who have never been to PNJ

BadgerBoi May 8, 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by fracmeister (Post 22834778)
Hmm... lot's of posts from people who have never been to PNJ

Ok you win - where is PNJ?

bluegreentravel May 8, 2014 9:40 pm

CDG :td::td::td:
Rude. One time, heard some racist comments being made in French... Staff are consistently grouchy...

Lost May 8, 2014 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi (Post 22835217)
Ok you win - where is PNJ?

Maybe FNJ - Pyongyang? :confused: