FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Rudest Airport Award goes to.... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1248453-rudest-airport-award-goes.html)

RI2KH2SU Aug 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by palefire (Post 16957851)
Amen, just what I was going to say. At least, TSA in BOS always seems to have an extra special level of go-F-yourself that I don't see elsewhere; was also true with security in BOS in pre-TSA days, IMHO.

Was also about to say the same, actually.

Mabuk dan gila Aug 21, 2011 1:39 am

LAX seems to be getting heavily bashed. I mainly fly out of TBIT, other terminals are far worse, and am not trying to defend LAX, but in a race to the bottom I would not put them first by any means. PHL, MIA and PHX have been the worst for me. PHL is the only place I have encountered a female TSO who had gang tattoos on her neck, assigned by my federal government to the taxpayer sponsored "stand around and just yell at passengers all day" job.

chx1975 Aug 21, 2011 1:50 am

Really? LAX? EWR? Noone goes to Heathrow anymore? I can guess why not :)

mrx900 Aug 21, 2011 2:11 am

this award goes to multiple winners...EWR...ORD...LAX...did i mention ORD? oh, and lets not forget LGA

huwjames Aug 21, 2011 3:21 am

MIA & LAX tied at number one for me. Mostly down to the TSA who seem to have it in for me.

VivoPerLei Aug 21, 2011 6:14 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 16953652)
I've certainly had a few challenges over the years at FRA, but if I think back in general to security, check in counter, rental car pickup, lounges, etc they are generally pleasant and polite experiences.

+1

FRA has been my home airport for the past 12 years and I am struggling to think of any really rude staff I've encountered there over that time.

However, I can immediately call to mind rude experiences in MIA and PHL, which seem to be consensus picks.

aktchi Aug 21, 2011 8:55 pm

LHR

LHR wins my vote.

Ancien Maestro Aug 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 16962914)
this award goes to multiple winners...EWR...ORD...LAX...did i mention ORD? oh, and lets not forget LGA

Flew through ORD.. the only bad experience was the washroom was constructed with small capacity for the usage that it was accomodating..

Other than that.. the airport seemed renovated and pretty easy to navigate..

What was your experience with ORD?

bcapehart Aug 22, 2011 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 16968116)
Flew through ORD.. the only bad experience was the washroom was constructed with small capacity for the usage that it was accomodating..

Other than that.. the airport seemed renovated and pretty easy to navigate..

What was your experience with ORD?

Speaking for myself with ORD, no disagreements on the bathrooms but also getting from terminal to terminal is a misery and some of the terminal areas e.g, Terminal 2 feel bloody oppressive and then there was the news story about the "long-term non-human residents" in the terminal area. Not sure about genuine ruddiness though. Staff there have always been helpful in showing me tips to get from point a to point b (esp when they're in different terminals).

RichardInSF Aug 22, 2011 9:39 am

My worst airports would be JFK, FRA, and CDG.

I tell first time visitors to the USA that if they land at JFK and want a true New York experience, to go up to a shop -- any shop -- and ask politely for change for a dollar.

At FRA, the incredibly long distances, lack of sufficient bathroom facilities, and overly-sensitive scanners make for a horrid experience.

And while Paris gets a bum rap for being unfriendly, it's believed to be true because all that unfriendliness is concentrated at CDG.

exbayern Aug 22, 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by bcapehart (Post 16970034)
Speaking for myself with ORD, no disagreements on the bathrooms but also getting from terminal to terminal is a misery and some of the terminal areas e.g, Terminal 2 feel bloody oppressive and then there was the news story about the "long-term non-human residents" in the terminal area. Not sure about genuine ruddiness though. Staff there have always been helpful in showing me tips to get from point a to point b (esp when they're in different terminals).

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 16970459)
At FRA, the incredibly long distances, lack of sufficient bathroom facilities, and overly-sensitive scanners make for a horrid experience.

But how does any of that make for 'rude'?

I tell people to avoid FRA if they can connect at MUC due to the distances and gate areas, but that doesn't mean that the airport is 'rude'. :confused:

spd476 Aug 22, 2011 10:22 am

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 16970628)
But how does any of that make for 'rude'?

I tell people to avoid FRA if they can connect at MUC due to the distances and gate areas, but that doesn't mean that the airport is 'rude'. :confused:

I had a pleasant experience at FRA. It was kind of strange though. It was a couple of years ago and they were doing construction so that may have contributed. After clearing immigration and security, it seemed like we walked forever to find a restroom. Our gate seemed to be just as far away after that. On my return trip, I came through MUC and it seemed better, but I only had about 30 minutes between flights.

exbayern Aug 22, 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by spd476 (Post 16970766)
I had a pleasant experience at FRA. It was kind of strange though. It was a couple of years ago and they were doing construction so that may have contributed. After clearing immigration and security, it seemed like we walked forever to find a restroom. Our gate seemed to be just as far away after that.

A few years on, similar story. :D

I'm just hard-pressed to find an entire airport 'rude'. I have spent a lot of time at EWR (which was frankly awful as a UA flyer back then) and will agree that it is generally miserable. But I think that the infrastructure added to that misery.

Most of my unpleasant experiences definitely would be in US airports, thanks to TSA. And that is a change from a few years ago.

But sadly when airports like IAD, LAX, SFO, EWR are the 'face' of US airports to many international travellers, it leaves a bad taste in the mouth generally.

mookie10 Aug 22, 2011 1:14 pm

ATL for me - TSA attitude was the worst I have encountered and both airport staff and GAs seemed to have caught the same bug.... - haven't been there for a few years so hope things have improved.

zsurf Aug 22, 2011 3:15 pm

LGA, but I'd be put in a nasty mood too if I had to work there