FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/723598-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-zagreb-croatia.html)

NOLAnwGOLD Jun 8, 2005 10:54 pm

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia

I'm going to be in Zagreb for a short stop through while on vacation soon and was looking at the Westin or Sheraton for the night. Usually I like Westins (love the beds) over Sheratons but seems like the Sheraton has more bells at this location...

However the Sheraton doesn't seem to have the Sweet Sleeper bed, but a smart room instead....

Any thoughts???

Pahuljica Jun 9, 2005 2:58 pm

Westin or Sheraton in ZAG ?

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I'm going to be in Zagreb for a short stop through while on vacation soon and was looking at the Westin or Sheraton for the night. Usually I like Westins (love the beds) over Sheratons but seems like the Sheraton has more bells at this location...

However the Sheraton doesn't seem to have the Sweet Sleeper bed, but a smart room instead....

Any thoughts???

Hi,

I'm from Zagreb and I can recommend You Westin (formerly Intercontinental Zagreb, than Opera). Much better location (city center 5 mins walk) so You will not need use of cabs, trams etc., while Sheraton is little off the city center. Also there is a huge parking place in front of Westin but You'll have to use garage in Sheraton.

Westin is across National Gallery, with lots of parks around and the National library and Opera is nearby.

l etoile Aug 8, 2006 9:17 pm

I've stayed at the Sheraton Zagreb. I had a suite, which was nice enough although a bit boring. The front desk had a problem locating the reservation and took nearly an hour checking me in, but they eventually credited me some points for the inconvenience. It was easy enough to walk to town. I'd stay again.

TRAVELSIG Aug 9, 2006 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Canuck999
Has anyone stayed at any of the Starwood hotels in Zagreb, Croatia? Thoughts?

I have stayed a few times at the Sheraton Zagreb. Nice enough hotel, easy walk in to town, parking is a rip off so beware if you bring a car. The rooms are a bit small and have a new Sheraton type decor. Service is pretty good for Zagreb. I think this is one of the better options in Zagreb overall. Let me know if you have more specific questions.

stephpaige Aug 9, 2006 9:52 am

Westin Zagreb

I stayed at the Westin Zagreb last September. Rooms are as nice as a US Westin to me. Good bathrooms. Easy walking distance to city center/entertainment. I'd stay there again.

Aspirapolvere Aug 9, 2006 1:38 pm

Pretty nice, centrally located and a steal for a reward stay!

Originally Posted by stephpaige
I stayed at the Westin Zagreb last September. Rooms are as nice as a US Westin to me. Good bathrooms. Easy walking distance to city center/entertainment. I'd stay there again.

eefor jfp Aug 10, 2006 3:40 am

Of the three SPG properties in Zagreb, I think the Sheraton is the nicest/newest. The Westin was built in the 70s or 80s (high rise concrete) as the Intercontinental and then became the Opera (independant) and then the Westin. The Sheraton was built in the 90s (as the Sheraton--lots of glass) and is closer to downtown than the Westin (although not by much)--maybe a ten minute walk to the main square. The FourPoints is also a converted communist-era high rise motel--never stayed there but it doesn't look to hot from the website. It really depends on what you want to see in Zagreb or what your purpose for visiting is. If it's tourism, the old town and zoo are closer to the Sheraton (although the Westin has good tram connections) and the Westin is closer to the main museums. The Four Points is a bit further out than the Westin.

By the way, Le Meridien is refurbishing a resort property on the Croatian coast a few miles south of Split (the old hotel Lav which was used to house refugees during the civil war). From the looks of things, it should be ready for next summer. That and the Hilton will be the only major chain properties in the Croatiain coast except for some Riu properties on the Island of Brac. But there are a number of smaller properties that are perfectly nice on most islands and in major tourist cities. Most tourists rent rooms from the local tourist bureau.

Canuck999 Sep 12, 2006 3:59 pm

Back from Croatia

I have returned from my trip to Croatia and just wanted to share a few thoughts on the Westin Zagreb.

The hotel is very comparable to any other Westin I've stayed at in North America, which is impressive. It seems that there is more staff around and they are more attentive / courteous, probably due to the fact that labor costs are lower (allowing for more employees) and the country as a whole is trying to emerge onto the global / European stage. Our room was extremely clean, recently renovated and was interchangeable with any newish Westin. In fact, I've rarely seen such good water pressure and hot water temperature and pressure.
The pool / spa area is very nice and well kept, however brings about my only major complaint: THE WESTIN ZAGREB DOES NOT PROVIDE FREE TOWELS AT POOLSIDE. This was extremely surprising and arises due to the fact that the indoor pool area is part of the spa facility which appears to be run by a 3rd party. We were told it would cost 15 Kn (approx C$3) to "rent" a towel at the pool, which seems completely unreasonable given that we were guests of the hotel and given that even the most basic hotel w/ pool provides poolside towels for guests. We were also told that it would cost 100 Kn (C$20) to use the sauna, which again seems extremely unreasonable. Hopefully someone reads this and can follow-up, as it not really representative the Starwood brand.
In general, I would strongly recommend this hotel, esp w/ free nights at 4,000 SPG points, a great steal. Just remember, bring your room towel down to the pool!

sbtinme Sep 12, 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Canuck999
THE WESTIN ZAGREB DOES NOT PROVIDE FREE TOWELS AT POOLSIDE. This was extremely surprising and arises due to the fact that the indoor pool area is part of the spa facility which appears to be run by a 3rd party. We were told it would cost 15 Kn (approx C$3) to "rent" a towel at the pool, which seems completely unreasonable given that we were guests of the hotel and given that even the most basic hotel w/ pool provides poolside towels for guests.

If this is fully accurate, you had every right to be upset. This is the sort of thing that simply shouldn't exist with global lodging brands. One of the very tangible benefits of chosing a Westin or a Sheraton (or a Marriott or Hilton) is a comfort level and the benefit of "no surprise."

Just like having shampoo in every room and heavenly beds in place, surely every Westin Hotel in the world should supply pool towels to guests with no added cost.

LHR Tim Apr 23, 2007 6:07 am

Well seven months on and it is still same situation. You can use the pool, but there are charges for sauna and towels. That said I used the gym (which wan't too bad) and it was alright. Only problem was they had some classes at 5:30 and 7 so I had to workout around them.

The hotel, as Canuck999 reports is very nice indeed. My only comment was the A/C didn't work too well. Eventually found the windows opened and that cooled off the room much better.

Great location and the 17 tram took me straight to the client's office. You can walk to the main square in 10-15 minutes, or you can take a tram (both would take about the same time).

Oh one thing: The rooms have WiFi, but you pay for it (can't remembe the rate, but pricey). Howver you can use the wired internet for a reasonably 50 Kuna (about £4 GBP, $8) for the week. If you want wifi, you can then just bring a small wireless travel router and you're all setup!

Really enjoyed my stay and would recommend it.

Swanhunter Sep 17, 2007 12:16 pm

One night stay at the Westin recently. Upgraded to a nice 1 bedroom suite on the 12th floor, with a glorious view out over the city to the mountain behind. Room was in good condition with the Heavenly Bed in full summer mode (i.e. only one duvet). Decor a little bland but pleasant enough. Didn't try any of the restaurants or the bar.

Staff were friendly but a little rough around the edges i.e. laughing and joking amongst themselves while serving guests. Good location, though it is a 10 mins walk to the nightlife. Nice city too, pleasingly unspoilt by English stag parties or the Ryanair crowd.

CheapSk8 Oct 13, 2007 6:45 pm

We're staying at the Westin Zagreb in about a week -- finally picked the Westin over the Sheraton because of some comments that the Westin is closer to tourist sights.
I emailed the hotel asking for directions between the train station and the hotel and haven't heard back.
We are planning to take tram #6 to Jelacic Square, but can anyone help with directions from Jelacic Square to the Westin? (I found pictures of Jelacic Square online and didn't see the Westin in any of them, but I read elsewhere that the Westin is supposed to be very close to Jelacic Square.)
Any help would be appreciated -- let's just say we haven't exactly had much time to plan this trip, so I'm reaching the panic stage! :eek:

eefor jfp Oct 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by CheapSk8 (Post 8556068)
We're staying at the Westin Zagreb in about a week -- finally picked the Westin over the Sheraton because of some comments that the Westin is closer to tourist sights.
I emailed the hotel asking for directions between the train station and the hotel and haven't heard back.
We are planning to take tram #6 to Jelacic Square, but can anyone help with directions from Jelacic Square to the Westin? (I found pictures of Jelacic Square online and didn't see the Westin in any of them, but I read elsewhere that the Westin is supposed to be very close to Jelacic Square.)
Any help would be appreciated -- let's just say we haven't exactly had much time to plan this trip, so I'm reaching the panic stage! :eek:

The #6 tram does indeed go from the train station to the cental square, but you need the #2, the #4 or the #9 two stops to the Westin (the stop is Vodnikova). Same side of the tracks/direction as for the #6 (i.e. going towards the Regent). You could also take the #13 first up to Jelacic Square and then back down to Vodnikova but that's longer. Try this link for a map of the tram routes. It's a little bit cheaper to buy your tickets at a kiosk before you board but the driver also sells tickets. If you take the #13 the stop is directly in front of the hotel. If you take the 2, 4 or 9, walk 10 yards/meters to the corner (same direction as you were going in the tram), cross the street and the hotel will be right there to your right.

Starwood Lurker Oct 16, 2007 9:30 am

from The Westin Zagreb...

Originally Posted by CheapSk8 (Post 8556068)

“First of all please accept our deepest apologies for not answering to your eMail. We have tried to track your eMail down however have not been able to place it at the hotel. Would you kindly advise which eMail address you sent it to, so we may investigate further?

As far as getting from the Train Station to the Westin Zagreb, please take Tram #2 or #4 about two stops to Vodnikova. It will leave you at the corner of the Westin. The Tram Tickets costs 6 HKN per person. You will not miss the hotel as it is the tallest building in the area and also has the Westin sign on it. If you prefer, you may take a taxi from the Train Station to the hotel at the approximate cost of HKN 50, one way. Should you have further inquiries, you may forward an eMail to [email protected] .

Thanks & Regards,

The Hotel Management. “

CCFlyer17 Oct 16, 2007 10:56 am

I stayed at the sheraton and found it be a fairly nice business traveller style hotel.