FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/723598-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-zagreb-croatia.html)

TravelinSperry Aug 7, 2015 9:12 am

Originally Posted by craz (Post 25235436)
Dont know where the DT is located. But both The Westin & Sheraton are very close to the main sq located in the lower city. However the upper city(old city sort of) has tons of bars and restaurants. Most places will be within 20 mins from both hotels. Theres a funicular that goes bet the lower and upper citys and thats closer to The Westin and avoids a ton of stairs but then you have to walk once on top to the street with all the restaurants/bars. If you walk up then The Sheraton is closer and you end up right by the action

Originally Posted by gojko88 (Post 25235708)
Having stayed in all three properties in the past three months, I can freely say that the DoubleTree is head and shoulders above either Starwood property - and this coming from a hardcore SPG loyalist. Unless you intend to spend the whole day out and about, I'd go for the DT and just take a cheap taxi or public transport to the city centre.

Thanks for the answers/thoughts. It appears from all the reviews (on each chain's website and via TA) that the hard product at DT is the best. However for me the locale just isn't worth it. I really do not like taking cabs everywhere.

Ended up going with the Sheraton as they had a C&P rate available at a redemption of 3.6 cents (which is pretty nice). I also spoke with the Sheraton via email and they said "All the noisy works have already ended and the others are due to be finished by August 27th." So hopefully I don't have to worry about the very noisy construction others have complained about in the reviews. I've tempered my expectations re the hard product, but hopefully the locale makes up for it.

WORLDWIDE TRAVELER Aug 7, 2015 10:46 am

the Westin is a very old Hotel maybe a 3 star but no more,, even with Points/cash I cannot recommend this Hotel.

TravelinSperry Aug 7, 2015 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by WORLDWIDE TRAVELER (Post 25236238)
the Westin is a very old Hotel maybe a 3 star but no more,, even with Points/cash I cannot recommend this Hotel.

I booked the Sheraton... I assume you meant to say Westin?

papyPiHi Aug 25, 2015 8:38 am

Stayed at the Sheraton recently as this is the property in Zagreb where my client has a deal with.
Got one of the new renovated rooms, much better than the old ones. All benefits (points or drink, late checkout, etc) asked at check in.

Renovation work was ongoing on the pool when I was there, but the hotel offerred a taxi service to use the pool at the Westin. As I was there on business I couldn't use it though.

Service is usually fine, though can be long at the restaurant in the evening. As mentioned earlier in this thread, lots of cafes 20 min on foot away, and the pedestrian zone in the old town is quite lovely and lively in summer.
Breakfast is good in terms of taste and variety, not gargantuan but filling enough

Points posted within 48h of departure.
No MAGC though

gojko88 Aug 25, 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by papyPiHi (Post 25325142)
Points posted within 48h of departure.
No MAGC though

Don't they always? I can't recall any of my 40+ Starwood stays where points took longer than 24-36h to post.

TravelinSperry Aug 30, 2015 3:03 pm

Just checked in. Did not offer Platinum suite upgrade. Tons of suites available for sale online at fire-sale rates. Hotel is terribly empty. Seemed overly excited at checkin to provide me with an Executive room - which looks just like a normal room imo except it's on the top floor. Big whoop. No lounge at this hotel either. Too tired to argue tonight... but may go down in the morning to discuss with GM why upgrade wasn't offered. Also took my 500 pt amenity in exchange for breakfast. Absolutely no Platinum benefits at this very old hotel. Not a good start.

geilux Aug 31, 2015 3:41 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 25352008)
Just checked in. Did not offer Platinum suite upgrade. Tons of suites available for sale online at fire-sale rates. Hotel is terribly empty. Seemed overly excited at checkin to provide me with an Executive room - which looks just like a normal room imo except it's on the top floor. Big whoop. No lounge at this hotel either. Too tired to argue tonight... but may go down in the morning to discuss with GM why upgrade wasn't offered. Also took my 500 pt amenity in exchange for breakfast. Absolutely no Platinum benefits at this very old hotel. Not a good start.

Sorry but where did you CI ?

Westin or Sheraton ?

TravelinSperry Aug 31, 2015 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by geilux (Post 25354202)
Sorry but where did you CI ?

Westin or Sheraton ?

Sheraton. I complained today to the front desk. Once I complained they suddenly had two Suites appear. However, I decided against moving. Although I was assured by their front desk personnel prior to arriving that construction was complete it is not. Drilling and hammering all day. And to make matters worse the front desk agent still proclaims that work is over. Huh?!?! I told her to go up to the 5th and/or 6th floor where she will hear what I hear. I receive an email a few hours later she has done this and heard nothing. Apparently I am hearing things. Most ridiculous thing ever.

Anyway, the reason I didn't swap rooms is that I don't want to be any closer to the noise - and am unsure exactly where these Suites are in terms of proximity to the noise. I can't as the front desk since they claim it's non-existent. It's now nighttime so the noise is over - but i'm sure it will start up again in the AM and I'd hate to find out I picked a Suite right near it. At least in my Executive room on the club floor (which has no lounge so really I can't understand what the club floor is all about) the noise is bearable. Terrible stay. Terrible service. Never again.

gojko88 Aug 31, 2015 1:36 pm

If it helps, I got upgraded to a Suite once after a lacklustre preceding stay, and it was the worst Starwood Suite I've ever been in. Not that it was particularly bad in any way, but simply way too much wasted space. As if you took the furniture out of an Executive room and spread it around a suite. Zero sense of upgrade.

TravelinSperry Aug 31, 2015 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by gojko88 (Post 25356688)
If it helps, I got upgraded to a Suite once after a lacklustre preceding stay, and it was the worst Starwood Suite I've ever been in. Not that it was particularly bad in any way, but simply way too much wasted space. As if you took the furniture out of an Executive room and spread it around a suite. Zero sense of upgrade.

LOL, I hear ya. I had a suite like that once as well. I think it was the Westin in Rome.

Anyway, it's not exactly the lack of a Suite upgrade that upsets me (although knowing that does help somewhat)... but partly having to fight to get one (and then suddenly one appearing or in this case two). But what is upsetting me more is the fact that I spoke to a front desk agent about the construction before I booked this property. After a few emails back/forth I was assured construction would be completed before I arrived. Now I'm well traveled enough to know delays occur and this was a risk I decided to take. But to show up and mention it isn't over and then be told by the same front desk agent that works are complete and she doesn't hear any noise is beyond comprehension to me. And this is what is upsetting me so.

papyPiHi Dec 3, 2015 9:49 am

Sheraton Zagreb update:
Floors 5 and 6 are completely refurbished, they're doing level 3 now
Got upgraded from a Deluxe room to a suite, Gold amenities (points or drink) offered at CKI.
No issues at all.

Agree with the poster that the suites could be better thought, but I'm nmot picky after a double upgrade: amenities were good, TVs, shower and all in-room facilities working properly, and my room was quiet in the afternoon while work was taking place, so...

no1cub17 Mar 25, 2016 4:09 pm

Brother-in-law and his fiancee are passing through Zagreb on their honeymoon and we were thinking of burning some points to treat them to a nice room. Which property would be better located for sightseeing? Are renovations done at the Sheraton? Couldn't tell from the hotel website. TIA!

boeingguy1 Apr 20, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi all,

to echo the above poster's questions... going to Zagreb in June for two days before heading to the coast and would love to hear if the renovations are complete at the sheraton? If so, which would you pick?

Happy May 6, 2016 5:10 pm

Bump.

Same question as 2 posters above.

gojko88 May 6, 2016 5:25 pm

Either property will do, they are almost equidistant from the historical centre. A 10-minute walk will get you there. The Westin carries a higher chance of getting a nice view, while the Sheraton has a better hard product.