Ideas for long layover in SIN?

Subscribe
I'm arriving into SIN on TG and continuing to MLE on SQ, each in J.

The catch is I arrive in SIN at 11:15a and leave at 8:45p.

While I'm sure the Kris lounge is nice, I don't know how nice any place is when you're lurking about >8 hours.

Does anyone have recommendations of what to do ...and is there not enough time to leave the airport (and deal with bags/customs/immigration/etc.)?

I'll probably want a shower, a massage, and a decent meal... but I presume that can be done in the SQ lounge. Any other ideas?
SIN airport has a complimentary city tour that leaves right from the airport that's fairly nice - just go to the counter to sign up - you can leave rollaboards at the "left baggage" facility for a small fee.
I have never done the Free tour , but I have done the MLE layover a bunch of times and it usually goes like this:
Arrival at SIN early am.
Go to SKL for shower and breakfast.
After breakfast , I go to the T2 Left luggage located before clearing immigration. (Flight to MLE leaves from T2 , so it is easier when returning later in the afternoon).
Clear immigration and customs , ( You still fill out an entry and departure form).
Take train into the city and walk around , explore and or shop If i need anything or just check out all the stores .

I know my way around Singapore , so I do quite a bit of walking around
just to wake up and try to adjust to the time.
After I had enough , or like last summer when It started pouring out.
I go back to airport, collect my stuff and hang out at the SKL until boarding time.
You will get dinner on the SIN-MLE flight , but I have never been awake to see it , I usually eat at the SKL and pass out as soon as we take off.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; ko-kr) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

My ritual when transiting at SIN and have several hours;

Go to Long Bar for Singapore Sling

Go to Hawker Center for good but inexpensive food

Head out to Orchid Road for some window shopping

Back at the SKL (hopefully in T3 TPR)
Check out the link for ideas....

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...ctivities.html
This looks interesting, how long have they had the free shuttles?

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...torcenter.html

Quote:
Free City Shuttle to Town

Passengers connecting at Terminals 1, 2 and 3 with at least six hours to spare in transit can, subject to visa requirements, take a free city shuttle to Little India, Suntec City or Bugis Street. Departure schedules are available at the visitors centers.
If you want to try something different you can also go to a Fish Spa
( Foot Reflexology Massage done by little fish that nibble at your feet)
Its crazy and can be freaky but it is a cool and different.
Do you like museums, shopping, zoos? The main zoo is pretty cool and could easily absorb your day at the cost of taxis to/from the airport and a short stop to pick-up some food at a hawker mall (loved the food in Singapore - $4 produced some very tasty dishes)

For museums, I spent a good 3 or 4 hours in the Asian Museum (the one near the parliament buildings). Not as close to the truly "cheap" Singapore food but a nice location with nice restaurants close by. You should easily have enough time to escape the airport.
This question really has more to do with Singapore as a destination stopover than Singapore Airlines even though OP has a flight on SQ - but after he/she has spent time in the city.

So am moving this to Destination - Singapore forum

Thanks

Guy Betsy
Singapore Airlines Krisflyer forum co-moderator
SIN is one of the easiest airports to use. The immigration is very efficient and the taxi ride to most anywhere is about 20 minutes.

The lounge is nice but there's nothing to do there. Since you're coming in daytime, you might as well go eat/shop/tour.

- there are some interesting museums if you're into that, Asian Civlizations, art, etc.

- try food at a hawker centre, like Maxwell or Newton Circus. Taxi drivers know where they are.

- go shopping. Orchard Rd has lots of great malls, my faves are Ngee Ann City and Paragon but there are many others. Outside of Orchard are other interesting places like Tanglin Village (art and other wares), Holland Village (housewares, other things), and Vivo (largest mall in Singapore). You can spend days in Vivo alone. There's a good food centre (= hawker centre with aircon), cineplex, and the fun Japanese "100¥" store, Daiso.

- explore the unique areas like Little India and Chinatown. Lots of stuff to see, buy, and eat. Visit the Mustafa Centre that sells everything and is open 24/7. It's a madhouse but fun.

I wouldn't go to the zoo - you can see those creatures at any zoo anywhere. I also would avoid touristy areas like Clarke Quay since there's really nothing to do there in the afternoon (there's a Hooters there which tells you all you really need to know).
Thank You!
I'm wrapping up my day in SIN now. Based on the ideas here, I took the free shuttle into the city from the Terminal 2 Singapore Visitors Center and wandered there for the day. Lots of reasonable places to eat and shop there... with friendly free shuttle service right from the visitors center desk.

The "tour guide" on the free shuttle is great too, pointing out points of interest, describing everything we passed, and taking questions from the tourists on the bus.

What a great way to spend a layover... without spending any money!
Weatherboy, which one did you use-Suntec, Little India or Bugis Street? Did you have to go through customs first or do they have a special arrangement? We will have some time to kill in April about 2pm-9pm. Do they give you a meeting place to return back to the airport?
Quote: I'm arriving into SIN on TG and continuing to MLE on SQ, each in J.

The catch is I arrive in SIN at 11:15a and leave at 8:45p.

While I'm sure the Kris lounge is nice, I don't know how nice any place is when you're lurking about >8 hours.

Does anyone have recommendations of what to do ...and is there not enough time to leave the airport (and deal with bags/customs/immigration/etc.)?

I'll probably want a shower, a massage, and a decent meal... but I presume that can be done in the SQ lounge. Any other ideas?

The MRT has a stop at the airport, you could head into town and take a little walk around. Do some last minute shopping. Maybe take a boat ride too!

Good luck.
the airport practically has everything you need to spend a whole day! big screen tv, x-box, computer stations, free-wifi. one of the best in the world!
Do we have to go through immigration just to switch terminals?
The Facts: Arriving SIN on UA 892 11:35 pm, departing on Malaysia Airlines to KUL 6:50 a.m next day. Hopefully, we'll get the UA upgrade, but we'll be in economy on MH. We're *Gold, and I have a Priority Pass to use if need be.

I THINK UA comes in T3, MH departs T2 (or vv). Do we have to go through immigration to switch terminals, or can we manage to stay airside the whole time if we decide not to leave the airport? If we go through immigration, how much time should we allow for reentry for the 6:50 a.m. flight?