OZ F LAX-ICN * Alliance Question

Subscribe
Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Seoul on October 2013 and would like to book a One-Way F award ticket with OZ. I usually fly JL there since I'm AA EXP but would love to try OZ. Hence, I decided to either do the departing or returning flight with OZ and the other way with JL. I don't have any UA or US miles but I do have some Amex MR and SPG points which I could use. I would especially love to use my Amex MR points.

I was doing my research and it looks like AC and SQ are my only two options. I read at the AC forum that their YQ surcharge is preposterous and hence I'm leaning towards SQ. My question is does anyone have any other suggestions on how to make this trip work? Also, is anyone familiar with the YQ surcharge on this redemption?

Thanks in advance.
If you have SPG, you could transfer those to United right? They don't have YQ for OZ redemption.
(oh, never mind. Redemption ratio is lousy, 2:1)

Did you see any LAX-ICN in F with their new seat (777-200LR?), OZ203? I don't see any availability at all for next year.
I'm planning to do redemption also next year.

Appreciate any input as well.
Thanks,
I don't know that I'd transfer to SQ Krisflyer miles, the redemption rates are horrible. If you can find availability, it'll cost you 200k miles for the trip in F. Sadly Aeroplan isn't much better at 175k.

If you have enough SPG points, I'd go for US Airways miles, they transfer at 1:1 and it's only 120k for North Asia in their program but your AMEX points won't transfer to them without a costly conversion to SPG first.

You can transfer to ANA as well, which is 140k for First on that trip, however they do charge the fuel surcharge, you'll have to inquire how much it is, but a lot less miles than your other 2 options.
Quote: I don't know that I'd transfer to SQ Krisflyer miles, the redemption rates are horrible. If you can find availability, it'll cost you 200k miles for the trip in F. Sadly Aeroplan isn't much better at 175k.

If you have enough SPG points, I'd go for US Airways miles, they transfer at 1:1 and it's only 120k for North Asia in their program but your AMEX points won't transfer to them without a costly conversion to SPG first.

You can transfer to ANA as well, which is 140k for First on that trip, however they do charge the fuel surcharge, you'll have to inquire how much it is, but a lot less miles than your other 2 options.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'mma just wait until 50% bonus before converting my Amex MR to SPG points then go for US Airways miles. Do you know if 120k is Round-trip or One-way? I'm flying back with JAL so I only need One-way.

UPDATE:
Apparently Aeroplan (1:1MR) can be transferred to US Airways Dividend Miles at 1:0.85 via Points.com. Not too shabby.
Quote: Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like I'mma just wait until 50% bonus before converting my Amex MR to SPG points then go for US Airways miles. Do you know if 120k is Round-trip or One-way? I'm flying back with JAL so I only need One-way.

UPDATE:
Apparently Aeroplan (1:1MR) can be transferred to US Airways Dividend Miles at 1:0.85 via Points.com. Not too shabby.
Very good conversion rate for points.com, quite surprised. A good way to get Amex MR points to US DM.

US, SQ, and NH are all R/T, they don't offer O/W awards, you'll have to use AC for that unfortunately... or UA but as is already noted, no good way to get your points into UA.

Having said that, the one way First award with Aeroplan prices out online at 117k, so still better off going the US Airways route if the lost miles in the conversion are worth less to you than the fuel surcharge Aeroplan will charge. You can book a throw away return or just a one way... however the one way is the same amount of miles as a round trip.