Ushuaia Tours

Subscribe
We will be in Ushuaia for one day next February (cruise port stop) and are looking for a tour guide or tour company to show us Tierra Del Fuego National Park, a little of the city as well as anything else that might be interesting. I don't want to pay ship shore excursion prices and would like some alternatives. Does anyone have suggestions?
Quote: I don't want to pay ship shore excursion prices and would like some alternatives. Does anyone have suggestions?
No suggestions I'm afraid but unless you're after a tour more tailored to meet your individual needs then I would stick with the excursions offered by your ship.
I very much doubt you're going to save money by organising one yourself.
Check out South Road here. They do some great tours - I can highly recommend the "Lakes off-road" tour. They also do a city tour but it's such an easy place to wander around yourself I personally wouldn't waste my time with that one.
Quote: Check out South Road here. They do some great tours - I can highly recommend the "Lakes off-road" tour. They also do a city tour but it's such an easy place to wander around yourself I personally wouldn't waste my time with that one.
Thanks. Looks like a possibility.
Else, I suggest you check on Trip Advisor....
Diving the Beagle Channel sounds like a very cool trip. Does anyone around here have any personal experience with http://www.tierradelfuego.org.ar/div...es/places.html

(I would travel with my DUI 350, so the water temperatures aren't an issue).
Pira Tours, in Ushuaia, is the only company (AFAIK) that has access to Isla Martillo (via a zodiac from Estancia Harberton). A max. of 20 PAX is allowed on the island at any one time (max. 80 per day total) to spend time with the thousands of magellanic penguins that are there until late February/early March. It was an incredible experience (we were there the first week of March).

BTW, the ship's tours are allowed to the island, but passengers are not allowed to get off the boat on to the island. I think the 150 or so that were watching us from the ship's excursion were trying to figure out why we could be on the island -- and they, not. It was a fantastic trip at about 1/2 what the ship's tour cost (IIRC, we paid $70 pp).

Pira Tours - as well as several other tour companies - have a kiosk right at the dock, but Pira is consistently fully booked. Not much of a chance if you haven't booked in advance.