FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Middle East (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east-481/)
-   -   Dubai workplace dress code (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/middle-east/811993-dubai-workplace-dress-code.html)

cedarjet2008 Apr 11, 2008 11:05 pm

Dubai workplace dress code

Hi,

I have several meetings with government offices in Dubai. What's the current dress code in the workplace? Suit, or blazer and tie, or blazer without tie, etc? Thanks for the help!

Regards

mecabq Apr 12, 2008 4:19 am

Suit and tie, no doubt.

HedgeFundFlyer Apr 13, 2008 8:48 am

Definitely a suit and tie, preferably a nice, formal suit and tie. No Mickey Mouse ties.

Daria Jun 8, 2008 2:11 pm

What about for women?

expatinglasgow Jun 8, 2008 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by Daria (Post 9845893)
What about for women?

Conservative business dress. Despite Dubai's modern flair, they have traditional Arab, which is to say Islamic, roots.

PhlyingRPh Jun 8, 2008 7:50 pm

Most women will wear normal business attire similar to that worn in a conservative american business environment -

Tops: It's better if the arms are covered, but if not then at least cover one's shoulders and ensure that the cleavage is not too visible.
Bottoms: Long skirts are OK but pants are a safer bet.

Outside of the office, wearing normal casual attire is appropriate - but again its' better to be on the conservative side (long skirts, etc).

AdaQuonsett Jun 8, 2008 8:06 pm

Oh my god, I cant imagine a man having to wear a suit and tie in that awful climate, hot and humid

PhlyingRPh Jun 8, 2008 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by AdaQuonsett (Post 9847142)
Oh my god, I cant imagine a man having to wear a suit and tie in that awful climate, hot and humid

the average businessman will be inside an airconditioned building all day, dash out to their aircondititioned car then run into their airconditiioned villa or apartment in the evening. Most evening activities will involve said airconditioned car, restaurants, malls or clubs.

AdaQuonsett Jun 8, 2008 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh (Post 9847279)
the average businessman will be inside an airconditioned building all day, dash out to their aircondititioned car then run into their airconditiioned villa or apartment in the evening. Most evening activities will involve said airconditioned car, restaurants, malls or clubs.

Oh I see, sounds like Singapore, steam bath outside, arctic cold indoors.

Daria Jun 9, 2008 4:43 am

Originally Posted by AdaQuonsett (Post 9847142)

I was thinking the same thing. At least the man can take off his jacket outdoors. Sounds like t-shirt and shorts are off limits for the ladies. I'll be in meetings most of the time but plan to also do sight seeing and shopping.

3timesalady Jun 18, 2008 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Daria (Post 9848418)
Sounds like t-shirt and shorts are off limits for the ladies. I'll be in meetings most of the time but plan to also do sight seeing and shopping.

In an office? No, no shorts and t-shirts. Elsewhere, you can wear those things, but I would highly recommend wearing longer shorts, else pants (or a dress or a skirt). Re: office wear, unless you've been told that everyone wears suits, the stuff you wear to work in the US is probably fine in Dubai. FWIW, I only wear skirts/ dresses to the office, and they are all things I would have worn to the office at home.

szg Jun 26, 2008 4:30 am

Suit and tie. I travel often to DXB for business meetings and this is the dress code.

haniboo Nov 16, 2008 12:46 am

is a suit also necessary for a student/delegate in a software seminar? would khackis and tie work?

mecabq Nov 18, 2008 4:52 am

Originally Posted by haniboo (Post 10758163)
is a suit also necessary for a student/delegate in a software seminar? would khackis and tie work?

That should be fine. I wouldn't equate a seminar to a true business environment, in which you are working individually with clients or business partners.

em2807 Oct 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Female dress code

Hi,

I'm heading to Dubai in a couple of weeks to work as a surveyor. What sort of dress code should I be dressing to, when working on building sites.

I'm figuring its going to be long pants and long shirt, but should I cover my hair??