FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Nicest/best hotel room/suite you've stayed in (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/304707-nicest-best-hotel-room-suite-youve-stayed.html)

luxury Jan 13, 2004 1:39 pm

Nicest/best hotel room/suite you've stayed in

Hello everybody,
Every now and then I start dreaming about the "suite life" and I was curious to read about the nicest/best room or suite other FTer's have stayed in..... I guess I am hoping to live vicariously through your experiences and to see and learn more about what is out there in this fascinating world of ours.

Some of the nicest rooms and suites I have had the good fortune of staying in are:

-Suite 38H, Waldorf Towers, NYC
1BR suite with living room, dining room seating 8, kitchen, solarium and two terraces with direct view of Chrysler Bldg.

-Deluxe room, Four Seasons New York

-1 BR Lake view suite, Hotel des Bergues
with view of Jet D'Eau

-Corner 1 BR Dlx Four Seasons Exec Suite,
Four Seasons Philadephia with view of Swann Fountain

I think these are the nicest rooms I've ever stayed in -- most Four Seasons rooms are tres agreable also....

Looking forward to hearing from others... thanks in advance

Marin 1K Jan 13, 2004 6:58 pm

Hmmm...

Well, I'd have to say that the night I checked into a quite-full FS Chicago with a reservation for a standard room at a $230 corporate rate and was given the Presidential Suite was pretty nice (of course by one's self it was pretty ridiculous).

A couple of stays in an ocean-front executive suite on the beach at FS Hualalai were spectacular.

A junior suite at the Cipriani in Venice was great too.

We stayed in a Bungalow at the Mauna Lani Hotel and Bungalows, whidh was over the top, with private pool, gardens and butler, but while it is associated with the hotel, it does not really qualify as a hotel room as such.

So, the best room I think has to be a junior suite at the Splendido in Portofino. The combination of furnishings, setting, food, and service make it a pretty unbeatable spot.

Ericka Jan 13, 2004 7:11 pm

As a teen, I used to travel with my father to the ocassional business meeting. He was head of a national organization at the time...needless to say, we did not pay for this.

In the mid-eighties, we stayed in the San Francisco Fairmont Presidential Suite. I'll keep it simple:
- 6000 square feet
- circular 2 story library with rolling staircase
- formal dining room with table that seated 30+
- formal living room with 2 story stone fireplace and grand piano
- floor, wall and ceiling mozaic tiled billiard room
- complete kitchen
- secret passageways for the staff to come and go unnoticed
- enormous outside terrace with bay views
- $7000/night back then (can't imagine what it goes for now)

And you wonder when I got so picky about hotels. :-)

Marin 1K Jan 13, 2004 8:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ericka:
...In the mid-eighties, we stayed in the San Francisco Fairmont Presidential Suite.
- $7000/night back then (can't imagine what it goes for now)

And you wonder when I got so picky about hotels. :-)
</font>
Actually, a friend had his wedding reception there last year; it is about $5,500 per night now. And you are right, it is a remarkable spot!

Pickles Jan 13, 2004 9:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ericka:
As a teen, I used to travel with my father to the ocassional business meeting. He was head of a national organization at the time...needless to say, we did not pay for this.</font>
Let me guess... It was a non-profit! Har har har!

Always Flyin Jan 14, 2004 2:07 am

That's right!.....There were never any profits left. http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...orum/smile.gif

flamboyant 1 Jan 14, 2004 10:31 am

A two-bedroom villa at the Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara. Very spacious for the three of us. Nice view, great interior and equipment.

Owner's Suites on Adventure, Legend and the Serenade of the Seas.

Wish I could stay there once:
http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/07/0307feat_15.html

Link to the whole list:
http://www.forbes.com/2002/03/07/0307feat.html

click on the pictures below the article to see and read about spectacular suites.

luxury Jan 14, 2004 5:12 pm

Wow!! Thanks guys!! Sound really great. . . the Forbes list is really cool but to think a hotel room can cost more than a car!!!
Keep them coming!!

Cheers

Ericka Jan 14, 2004 5:24 pm

About the Fairmont Penthouse....perhaps it's actually $7k now and was $5k back in the eighties - with a wedding reception getting a special reduced rate????

Ah well, still too rich for my blood. And no, my father did not work for a non-profit. :-)

Non-NonRev Jan 14, 2004 7:07 pm

The Fairmont Penthouse was the former private residence of Fairmont owner and chairman Benjamin Swig. It became the Presidential Suite after his death.

My best - in the 1970s, an ocean-view suite in what was then the Kahala Hilton on Oahu (this is now the Kahala Mandarin Oriental).

magexpect Jan 16, 2004 8:39 am

My three favourites are:

Kanuhura in the Maldives

Le St. Geran on Mauritius

Victoria Jungfrau in Interlaken, Swizerland

You can check them yourself:

www.oneandonlyresorts.com/

www.victoria-jungfrau.ch/

JerseyJoe Jan 18, 2004 9:44 am

Upgraded at check-in (celebrating my wife's birthday -honest) to a one-bedroom suite facing the Water Tower at the Chicago Park Hyatt.
Dining room for twelve, large "rec" area separated from the dining section by open sided fireplace. Huge kitchen that had such high tech stuff we had to get instructions. It was bigger than my old condo in Chicago.

------------------
JerseyJoe

JerryFF Jan 18, 2004 12:05 pm

Some notable memories, most being as much a function of the view as the room itself -

1) Caesar's Lake Tahoe - 1 bedroom suite with a view of the lake.

2) Westin Maui - Large oceanfront corner suite with a large balcony and views in two directions.

3) Princeville Hotel on Kauai - Ocean view room - spectacular view and even the standard rooms here are wonderful.

4) Marriott New Orleans - we had one of the bedrooms that was part of the presidential suite. It was a corner room on the 40th floor with views of the French quarter and the river, though nothing special about the room itself.

tasheri Jan 21, 2004 2:20 pm

My favorite place for "just the two of us" is the Fairmont Chicago.

Their suites are unbelievable, and if you are PResident's Club member you can book ahead and get extras at a great price.
The suites look and feel like you are in a house instead of a hotel....

richarddd Jan 21, 2004 2:50 pm

Le Sirenuse in Positano. Beautiful room. Incredible view.