FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Relaxing spa/retreat/boutique property for anniversary trip-US (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1329987-relaxing-spa-retreat-boutique-property-anniversary-trip-us.html)

travelmom4 Mar 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Relaxing spa/retreat/boutique property for anniversary trip-US

We are celebrating an anniversary this summer and have a couple of weeks when the kids are away at camp. Husband and I would like to get away from our hectic day to day for 4-5 nights. We're looking for something that feels secluded and offers the occasional massage or treatment so a spa comes to mind. I also like the thought of having meals taken care of and not having to go far to eat. At the same time, we really want some quiet time and aren't looking for a bunch of activities or socializing. Beautiful scenery would also be a plus. Lastly, we would like to minimize travel time so I'm leaning toward a US destination (home is N.O.). I'm guessing that there may be some small boutique properties, retreats or spas that would fit the bill.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Kagehitokiri Mar 28, 2012 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by travelmom4 (Post 18290867)
feels secluded
some quiet time
aren't looking for a bunch of activities or socializing
Beautiful scenery
minimize travel time
home is N.O.
small boutique properties, retreats or spas

new orleans?
general budget?

GK1998 Mar 28, 2012 2:15 pm

http://www.amanresorts.com/amangiri/home.aspx

Amangiri would be my first choice ^

travelmom4 Mar 28, 2012 2:23 pm

Yes, traveling from New Orleans. Budget is around $1,000 per night. Of course, I'd love to spend less and still get everything I want.

Amangiri looks very interesting. I'll do some reading and check it out.

zigzag Mar 28, 2012 2:47 pm

Escape the heat and go to Twin Farms in Vermont! www.twinfarms.com All inclusive and more and entery level rooms are wonderful.

SanDiego1K Mar 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I love the Hyatt Highlands, just south of Carmel and Monterey on the north end of the Big Sur portion of Highway 1. I would book one of the townhouses, not in the colocated time share apartments, but rather in the hotel complex. These look out thru the pine trees over the pounding surf. Upstairs is the living room with fireplace, tiny kitchen, and small bath. Downstairs is a large bedroom and bath. I believe that room numbers are 50x. The Point Lobos Suite (2 rooms on same floor, no kitchen, at south end of townhouses) has a stunning view over the coastline; the townhouses also have solid views. The hotel has 2 solid restaurants. Monterey and Carmel are foodie destinations, with many appealing places to eat. Service is not impeccable but it is decent.

You can find more detail than you might want in this FT thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

Start at the end for recent reports. I found it an unexpected gem in the US Hyatt offerings.

Kagehitokiri Mar 28, 2012 5:00 pm

does blackberry farm still have casual restaurant in main house?

Originally Posted by travelmom4 (Post 18291112)
I'll do some reading

reading in this forum :)

FlyerEC Mar 28, 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 18291916)
I love the Hyatt Highlands, just south of Carmel and Monterey on the north end of the Big Sur portion of Highway 1. I would book one of the townhouses, not in the colocated time share apartments, but rather in the hotel complex. These look out thru the pine trees over the pounding surf. Upstairs is the living room with fireplace, tiny kitchen, and small bath. Downstairs is a large bedroom and bath. I believe that room numbers are 50x. The Point Lobos Suite (2 rooms on same floor, no kitchen, at south end of townhouses) has a stunning view over the coastline; the townhouses also have solid views. The hotel has 2 solid restaurants. Monterey and Carmel are foodie destinations, with many appealing places to eat. Service is not impeccable but it is decent.

You can find more detail than you might want in this FT thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...er-thread.html

Start at the end for recent reports. I found it an unexpected gem in the US Hyatt offerings.

Originally Posted by GK1998 (Post 18291058)
http://www.amanresorts.com/amangiri/home.aspx

Amangiri would be my first choice ^

While I love Carmel , it will be Aman if one wants to really relax & have lovely surroundings.
Amangiri for desert scape & Amangani for mountains/valleys - what do you expect at Jackson Hole :cool:

travelmom4 Mar 29, 2012 7:36 am

Those look great. Thanks for the suggestions. Twin Farms is new to me as is the Hyatt Carmel property. The Amani resorts also look pretty wonderful.

MikeFromTokyo Mar 29, 2012 8:41 am

I agree with the above suggestions of Twin Farms, Blackberry Farm, and Amangiri.

If you are open to non US properties, Amanyara would probably be easily reachable as there are connections to Providenciales airport in Turks and Caicos from from Miami, Atlanta, and other US gateways.

Banyan Tree Mayakoba or Rosewood Mayakoba might also be easily reachable.

lb8001 Mar 29, 2012 8:52 am

And the Farmhouse Inn & Restaurant (Sonoma County, CA) is worth considering. Lovely spa (and products), Michelin star restaurant at the inn with outstanding and fun wines to try/pair, close to a zillion wineries/beautiful scenery, low key, the rooms in the Barn are very cool.

vuittonsofstyle Mar 29, 2012 11:50 am

AMANGIRI

Without doubt, I would choose Amangiri - it ticks ALL the boxes and is an incredible experience.^

Ericka Mar 29, 2012 12:32 pm

Twin Farms, Blackberry Farm and Amangiri.

It will be very hot at Amangiri over the summer....but maybe you can handle it, being from New Orleans. And don't let the Twin Farm prices overwhelm you.....it includes everything (high level food, wine, etc.) and is a very good value.

Kagehitokiri Mar 29, 2012 12:46 pm

re travel time - turks & caicos has a new VIP thing at airport
that and blackberry farm would require 2 flights
giri and twin farms only require 1, although with longer drives

im assuming giri is a dry heat? (like scottsdale?) some of us dont mind that, vs humidity. :D

travelmom4 Mar 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Yes, I'm assuming Amangiri will be hot in June. Trying to decide how important that is-it looks like a fab place and almost otherworldly. Twin Farms must be terrific, too. The price did make me gasp a bit but I've found that when everything is included (and it's good food and wine) it can be worth it. Boston is pretty easy for me to get to (direct via JetBlue). I'm having a great time learning about these places!