FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Korea (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea-714/)
-   -   Overnight layover ICN (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korea/1265464-overnight-layover-icn.html)

nomadic.relief Oct 3, 2011 11:19 am

Overnight layover ICN

I've searched a few threads related to the topic, but none quite answer my dilemma - I will be arriving in ICN at 6pm and flying out the next morning at 9am ... should I take the train into Seoul for the night or stay closer to the airport?

I realize near the airport would be cheaper and easier, but is it worthwhile to go into the city? At best I will only have a few hours - after security and the train in, I figure I'd get there around 9pm and then would want to leave around 6 am or so.

Thoughts?

rivertown Oct 3, 2011 4:45 pm

That is a rather short layover to go downtown to see anything short of the night markets as well as achieve any quality rest. Stay at the Hyatt by ICN - great hotel. Little more price conscience you can choose the New ICN Airport Hotel

chefdg1 Oct 3, 2011 4:45 pm

Incheon (the town)

Incheon - the town, is a trip. It is populated by airport workers, towns people and few passengers. I stayed at a bizarre apartment hotel with two hugh vending machines in the room, self cleaning robotic toilet, and way more electronics than was necessary. I found a barbeque joint a few blocks away that refused to feed me because I was western. I knew it had to be great so I pleaded and they fed me. The food was stupefyingly unbelievable. It was one of those great travel experiences that I'll always remember. YMMV.

nomadic.relief Oct 5, 2011 11:16 am

chefdg1 any chance you remember the name of either the hotel or the restaurant?

Thx

chefdg1 Oct 5, 2011 3:24 pm

Incheon town - like Blade Runner

Sorry, I can remember the hotel room and the restaurant vividly. Unfortunately the names are a blank. I do remember that it was an area called Incheon Airport Town Square (which is very close to the airport). This is not Incheon - the city. It's a whole other thing. It felt more like Blade Runner Town. I hope that makes some sense. I've just returned from a day of wine tasting.

xtal Oct 5, 2011 11:52 pm

I too have a short (16 hour) layover at ICN. I'm opting to stay in Airport Town Square, which is the area near Unseo station. I haven't been there before, but it sounds like a good option. The restaurant mentioned in this thread may be the same one mentioned in the review here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...tel-queen.html

I'm staying at Hotel Sky Incheon, incidentally.

dtsm Oct 13, 2011 10:05 am

Two hotels about 1 mile away, Best Western and Hyatt. Both have complimentary shuttle buses. I usually stay at BW and then cross the street to Hyatt for dinner.

Your other option is to remain in the airport, book the transit hotel [above the airport lounges], comfortable, reasonable price. Then you can walk the airport, get a bit to eat as there are some nice fast food or restaurants to choose from.[then you can just check bags through]

nomadic.relief Oct 17, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the tips, found a hostel near ICN for $20 a night - reviews were looked awesome and as I'm travelling F class I figure I can handle a little slumming for a stop as short as this! ;)

chefdg1 Oct 19, 2011 9:51 am

Photos of the Incheon Town Square hotel & restaurant

I've located two photos of the places I could not remember. One is the bizarre hotel room and the other (more importantly) is the restaurant that I thought was terrific. Good luck.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1147573...OTqv4H74fvbnAE

TOMFORD Dec 19, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I am flying in ICN at 2025 and leaving the following day at 1230. Do I have time to go to the city and grab some good food? I do not mind staying at the Hyatt since it only costs 8000 points, but I'd hate to miss seeing the city.

sky303 Dec 24, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by agp423 (Post 21997457)
I'm interested in this as well. I am flying in ICN at 2025 and leaving the following day at 1230. Do I have time to go to the city and grab some good food? I do not mind staying at the Hyatt since it only costs 8000 points, but I'd hate to miss seeing the city.

I have an almost identical layover coming up. I'm already booked at my usual spot (Yeha Doye Guesthouse in Insadong--great place and amazing value for location and the bus from the airport to a few blocks away is only 10000KRW), but I'm wondering what to see in the later night hours and earlier to mid-morning hours. I've been three times but only for overnights and usually I regret not going outside of the Insadong area. Any suggestions for stuff to do would be great. I'm thinking Seoul Tower, but idk much else.

TOMFORD Dec 25, 2013 7:57 pm

I did more research and it seems like it would not be worth it. I am just going to stay at the Hyatt ICN. 8000 points after devaluation, or ~$200.

vinx Dec 27, 2013 1:26 am

If you guys know you will be have a layover overnight, why don't you take few days make yourself free to see the place properly rather than rushing it. ;)

TOMFORD Dec 27, 2013 6:01 am

Already have a stopover and open jaw in my itinerary :(
Also, I have no more vacation days haha.

sky303 Dec 27, 2013 6:21 am

I may end up extending my stay by a day in the end. Only reason I'm doing an overnight is to relieve me of my boredom at home.