China Mobile - Peoples Prepaid SIM card

Subscribe
Hi there,

I want to share my experience on this mobile network during my trip in April this year, I purchased a Prepaid SIM, China Mobile (CMHK 1-Card-2-Number Prepaid SIM Card ) upon reading forums that this prepaid SIM is one of the best in value for mobile broadband + voice calls.

I purchased the Starter Kit, HKD $120 with a value of $60, activated 1 Day Unlimited data mobile broadband plan for HKD $9 to try it out first. They have a HKD$38 for 1 week plan, which i find it unnecessary as i only will be in HK for 3 days. Everything works fine on the 1st 24hrs. My next renewal came, and purchased another 1 Day plan, received a confirmation SMS that it has been activated, and continue my usuage. To my shocking discovery, after using for few minutes later, i receive an SMS saying my account balance is nearly $0, and my data service will cease operation if i do not top-up! I have about $40+ left when i last checked after the 2nd activation of the 1 day plan. I immediately head to the nearest 7-11 to do a top-up, unfortunately the minimum top up they have is $100. with 2 more days left in Hong Kong, i was hesitant, but i need the service for my e-mails and communications on the go.

After top-up, i went to check on my 1 day unlimited data plan service status, it says it's active till the next 24hours. When I thought my problem was over, the nightmare had just begun, about 30mins later, i received an SMS saying my account balance have left $0.15!! and data services will cease operation if no top up is made!

But my data service proceeded without interruption of service till the 24 hour expiry. I should have purcahsed the 1 week plan in the first place

Anyone encountered this? I tried calling their customer hotline, it's all automated system without having any option to speak to their operator

I will be visiting HK this Sept, and I can't find any operators which offers data + voice plan for prepaid SIM. Correct me if i'm wrong
Go write to them - http://www.peoples.com.hk/p_cs_guide_contact_en.jsp
My understanding is that 3HK is the best for prepaid.
I have been using China Mobile unlimited data every time I went to HK for the last few years. Never had the problem you mentioned.

I always double-checked the unlimited data status before using data, via their SMS confirmation, and checked balance regularly. I would have been more careful after the 2nd top-up in your situation and verified the balance after using it, and called their customer service right away, or went to their store to sort it out.

If your balance was truly at ZERO, you wouldn't have been able to access data, because their system is set up so that whenever you start a data session, $5 is deducted from the account, and subsequently returned to the account when the session ends. Zero balance = no data access, even if you have purchased an unlimited plan.

Minimum top-up for Chinamobile is a lot less than HKD100 through other venues:
- China Mobile Store $10
- online $50 (including foreign credit cards)
- vouchers from convenience or phone stores $30, $50, $100, $200 or $300
- 7-11 $100

3HK has the fastest prepaid data speed. May or may not be the best prepaid service for you.

Billing error can occur with any provider.
Quote: I have been using China Mobile unlimited data every time I went to HK for the last few years. Never had the problem you mentioned.

I always double-checked the unlimited data status before using data, via their SMS confirmation, and checked balance regularly. I would have been more careful after the 2nd top-up in your situation and verified the balance after using it, and called their customer service right away, or went to their store to sort it out.

If your balance was truly at ZERO, you wouldn't have been able to access data, because their system is set up so that whenever you start a data session, $5 is deducted from the account, and subsequently returned to the account when the session ends. Zero balance = no data access, even if you have purchased an unlimited plan.

Minimum top-up for Chinamobile is a lot less than HKD100 through other venues:
- China Mobile Store $10
- online $50 (including foreign credit cards)
- vouchers from convenience or phone stores $30, $50, $100, $200 or $300
- 7-11 $100

3HK has the fastest prepaid data speed. May or may not be the best prepaid service for you.

Billing error can occur with any provider.

thanks for the input, i did receive a confirmation SMS from them when i activated the 2nd time, and checked the balance that it has been deducted. Only then I started using. I will give them another try, with a new number and this time i'm going to get the 1 week unlimited data
Quote: Go write to them - http://www.peoples.com.hk/p_cs_guide_contact_en.jsp
This will come in handy, thanks!