Best time of week to purchase airfare to HI?

Subscribe
I have heard that some days of the week are better to purchase airfare than others. I am looking to book airfare to HI. What day would you recommend I purchase the tickets, if it matters at all.

Thanks,

Nick
Check daily. Set an alert at kayak.com, and when the price dips to where you want it, buy.
Thanks for the tip, will do!
Quote: I have heard that some days of the week are better to purchase airfare than others. I am looking to book airfare to HI. What day would you recommend I purchase the tickets, if it matters at all.

Thanks,

Nick
Unfortunately, I think you heard wrong. I check airfare extremely often -- usually about 3-6 times a month, trying to get off this d**n island and there's never a rhyme or reason for when prices drop as far as day of the week.

What I have learned is airfare always, always costs more on HA (they're the absolute worst anyway -- and if anyone wants to challenge me on that, go ahead). Usually it's relatively inexpensive on AA and UA (however, I'm looking at specific hubs: Lih-Lax mostly. The best (cheapest) fare is usually always on AS -- the downside is their routing and timetables are not ideal.

Kayak is great like the above poster mentioned.
i think its more important the time of year that you want to travel then anything else regarding day of the week...of course winter/summer tend to be expensive..but u can get some really good deals right before summer and right after winter..plus it all depends on who is providing competition to Hawaiian at the time and if there is a fare war
The cheapest I've seen from the Midwest/East to Hawaii these days has been around $700. You can usually get better deals flying from the West Coast (e.g. Seattle, San Francisco, LA). Prior to that the prices were staying steady at $1000+.

Gas prices are killing deals.
Airfare this year is 200-400 per ticket higher than last year. It doesn't seem to matter when you are traveling. I flew HNL-LAX in June last year, booked 4 weeks in advance and paid $450 per ticket on UA. This year the same route, same dates is $750. Similar stuff for DEN in July.

I've been checking daily and HA fares seem to lower near the end of the week and on the weekends. Not much more than a $20 per ticket drop. UA/AA/DL are usually better midweek. Again, not much of an overall difference. Really, really expensive to fly to/from the islands this year.
From the east coast (BOS) I don't find roundtrip airfares too bad. We have been 9 times since 1994. In 1994, 2001, 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2012 we paid between $800 and $900 for each ticket. In 1998 we paid $1,200 for each ticket and in the years 1997 and 2004, we paid $500 per ticket. My inlaws went on their honeymoon to Hawaii in 1988. They paid $880 for each ticket.

A friend of ours is flying on Delta in July. She will be staying for almost three weeks. Her routing is BOS/ATL/HNL and on the return, OGG/HNL/ATL/BOS. Coach was $1,200 per person. First was $1,800 per person. This was a no brainer. I convinced her to purchase the FC airfare. She only bought this ticket in January.

One has to remain vigilant in order to get the best pricing. That can be for airfare, a car, a boat, clothing, etc.
got Lax-Koa on AA last march for 550/ticket on AA. AA has been the cheapest I have seen.