FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Emirates | Skywards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/)
-   -   Transporting an iMac on EK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards/1327245-transporting-imac-ek.html)

Purdey Mar 21, 2012 5:18 am

Transporting an iMac on EK

I want to move an Apple iMac 21" from DXB to LHR and am booked on the A380 in a couple of weeks.
What's the best and safest way to do this?
I have the original Apple box with the internal packing bits. I think I could carry it on-board if I bought a suitable holdall type bag and unboxed it or I could check it in and get it plastic wrapped at DXB.

What do you think?

B747-437B Mar 21, 2012 5:48 am

Your issue with carrying it on will be more in line with the 7kg weight restriction for cabin baggage. How much does the piece weigh?

Purdey Mar 21, 2012 6:42 am

Well, I don't know exactly but its more than 7 kgs, probable double that, but I've never had any trouble with the airline weighing cabin baggage.
I think checking it in, boxed and plastic wrapped, makes sense but I dunno how likely it is to emerge unscathed at LHR. Do they have a 'fragile' baggage option or where do they stow strollers/pushchairs?

father_ted Mar 21, 2012 7:27 am

Apple specify the weight of the latest 21.5" model at 8.8kg. I am not sure if this includes packaging and accessories.

I have yet to experience over-zealous hand baggage scrutiny at DXB, but reports indicate that it does happen with some regularity. All those cashiers near the check-in desks need to be kept busy somehow.

If placing in checked baggage, I find the greatest risks are due to crushing should your item be loaded first into the hold or container and heavy items with rigid edges thrown on top. I would pack in original box, then pack that in a larger box or suitcase with a few inches of padding/packing in all directions.

Placing the original box inside a bin liner first (to protect from moisture) may seem excessive given that baggage is rarely left outside in the rain. However, after a recent flight where every second passenger was carrying 10 litres of poorly packaged holy water, I would recommend it! My bag escaped, but some others were drenched.

S c 0 TT y Mar 21, 2012 7:33 am

The best thing IMHO would be to put the iMac in a trolley bag (given, it wont be your regular 'cabin bag') but ive seen plenty of people with slightly larger trolley suitcases allowed through.

I have an iMac 27" and a 21" - I know how heavy they are and the original packaging (as good as it is), I doubt Emirates would allow a huge box on the cabin.

I would personally wrap it in bubble wrap and find an appropriate trolley bag.

There are some other solutions (at a price) such as this and this.

Purdey Mar 21, 2012 7:58 am

Scotty, thanks for that - it's a once only relocation of the iMac so I'm not really up for that sort of outlay.

father ted - good point about the bin liner!

I hesitate to think about it but perhaps I'll call Emirates and see what they suggest :confused:

Zol Mar 21, 2012 11:49 am

Unless it is very securely package and protected I would not check it in. My sister has had many homeware items crushed in transit and EK will claim no responsibility.

FlyingDiver Mar 21, 2012 11:56 am

Have you considered just shipping it DHL or FedEx insured?

joe

eightblack Mar 21, 2012 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 18243728)
Scotty, thanks for that - it's a once only relocation of the iMac so I'm not really up for that sort of outlay.

father ted - good point about the bin liner!

I hesitate to think about it but perhaps I'll call Emirates and see what they suggest :confused:

The only way I would take it - is to carry it onboard. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put it under your arm. Also, and I know I am stating the obvious, back it up completely and make sure its insured...

DYKWIA Mar 21, 2012 2:33 pm

It should fit into a standard roll-a-board. So, you should just be able to carry it on board. It will over the 7kg limit, but I doubt they'd spot you unless you were struggling.

I think the carry on checks seem to skewed in favour of certain skin tones - if you catch my drift. :eek:

S c 0 TT y Oct 10, 2017 8:45 am

OP

Just wondering how you got on as im thinking of tagging my iMac 27" along to China soon.

skywardhunter Oct 10, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y (Post 28915439)
OP

Just wondering how you got on as im thinking of tagging my iMac 27" along to China soon.

5 years later? :D

I carried my XBox South Africa to India and back in hand luggage no problem, both in a suitcase one-way and back in a backpack

DYKWIA Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 18246383)
It should fit into a standard roll-a-board. So, you should just be able to carry it on board. It will over the 7kg limit, but I doubt they'd spot you unless you were struggling.

Hmmm..... I think I posted this before I actually owned a 21" iMac. I think I'd struggle to get it into my carryon looking at it :)

S c 0 TT y Oct 10, 2017 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter (Post 28915632)
5 years later? :D

I carried my XBox South Africa to India and back in hand luggage no problem, both in a suitcase one-way and back in a backpack

Thought i'd search the forums as I remember seeing it a few years back :D

No chance getting the 21" in a suitcase, nevermind the 27" :(

sydtogla Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

I just carried a case of wine back GLA-DXB-SYD last week and it was fine. Fragile stickers and a priority first tag did the trick. I don't see why a well packaged computer couldn't do the same journey, but i'd maybe put it in a larger box to make it look less...tempting.