"What's in a name? A restaurant's success can hinge on the right words"

Subscribe
Interesting article, ok I will start with a boring one

Plane Food
I think a good name for a 7-11 style convenience store would be "Pass'n gas" but apparently I'm a party of one.
I'm fascinated by Chinese restaurant names. Abundance, auspicious, benefit, lucky, profit, dragon, and wealth all are welcome. No beating around the bush there.

Japan has some real winners too. Take a guess as to what this means... Also, there used to be a place called "Pampkin Cook Katsura" specializing in pumpkin dishes.

There are plenty more, but let's see what else is mentioned first.
What the Pho (real place!)

And do you know just how many Pho #1 / No. 1 restaurants there are in the world? Must be hundreds...
One of the great Chinese restaurants in China Town used to be Lee Ho Fook. Needless to say, a competitor opened with the same words but the first two transposed (read it.....). Fortunately it did not survive long.
Some good examples in the Guardian comment field such as:
Jason Donervan
Restaurant
Edinburger
Thai-Tanic (Belfast)
Quote: What the Pho (real place!)

And do you know just how many Pho #1 / No. 1 restaurants there are in the world? Must be hundreds...
There's quite a lot of Taj Mahals and Arirangs out there too!

Also, it's been a while since I was last in Siem Reap, but how many Pyongyang restaurants do they have now, three?
We have a local restaurant called Mumbai Thai.
The worst is a place called Mt Fuji, with a sign hanging underneath that says "Chinese buffet"...

Also, you know it's bad news when you try to order agedashi tofu and the waitress says, "oh, you mean age tofu" (like my age is 37) instead of "ah-geh". DOH.
Not a restaurant name but a menu item, "Spicy Crab Clauu."

Someone evidently spelled it out, "C-L-A-double u"

That would be hundreds of thousands
Quote: I think a good name for a 7-11 style convenience store would be "Pass'n gas" but apparently I'm a party of one.
Kum & Go

iPho in Santa Clara
Quote: Not a restaurant name but a menu item, "Spicy Crab Clauu."

Someone evidently spelled it out, "C-L-A-double u"
There is a restuarant in China called "Translate Server Error".

Sine this is FT where it did not happen if there is not photo:
http://revealingerrors.com/translation_systems
Quote: The worst is a place called Mt Fuji, with a sign hanging underneath that says "Chinese buffet"...

Also, you know it's bad news when you try to order agedashi tofu and the waitress says, "oh, you mean age tofu" (like my age is 37) instead of "ah-geh". DOH.
Are the majority of Japanese restaurants outside of Japan managed/staffed by Japanese people? Highly doubt it.

In other news, there's a restaurant in Manhattan called Jack's Sliders and Sushi (sliders are small hamburgers/sandwiches), which has the same level of appeal to me as a middle seat with Spirit Airlines.