Delta's CRJs are KILLING me!

Subscribe
Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish Prison?

I agree with the poster who stated about an hour or so on those lovely CR2s at the very maximum. Luckily Delta has more or less stayed true to their no single class aircraft >750 miles. But I know a few routes that they just about hit that 750 mark.
I remember Continental switching all their MCI flights (EWR, IAH, CLE) to ERJ 145s -sucked badly. Zero UGs. Delat are just choosing their markets carefully and using barbie jets on routes that demand them. It is a business decision.
I am short and I don't like those CRJ's by any means. I flew one from MSP to OMA last week and that was okay because 1) there was nobody sitting next to me and 2) it was a 45 minute flight.

Wednesday will be sheer torture: MSP to TUL in one of these tubes. Even though I have the exit row, there is absolutely no leg room.
I'm in the same boat here. Flying out of MSP, I see mainly A319 or 20's, and at best a 757 where I end up 10 out of 50 on the upgrade list to DTW regardless of day and time. From there I end up on a nasty CRJ200 to BTV, and being 6'4" does not help my case. No WiFi, no first, no EC, NOTHING. Just a noisy ... piece of junk with 0 leg room and awful seats. Thanks DL!
Quote: If I recall correctly, Delta will retire/store/return all CRJ200's by 2014(?).

My assumption is that they will backfill those routes with larger/less frequent aircraft.
According to Pinnacles 10-K much of the extension of the use of the CRJ-200's is up to Delta:

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....-reportsannual

The have many "resets" in place should they want to keep them but they can get out too. They can go to 2017 per agreements.

Don't see that happening as DL seems to be moving away from the old smaller birds more and more.
I find the CRJ200's are disappearing from LEX. With more MD88 and 737 service to ATL and the CRJ900 to DTW the only flight I won't take is the CRJ200 to MSP. The torture tube is the worst seat on the DL train.
It does seem like DL has put a lot of 50 seaters on flights out of MSP that use to have a DC-9 on the route. GFK is one of those. I remember DC-9 did the early flights and the afternoon flights to MSP. In the middle was a couple Saabs or that old Mesaba Avro 146 jet. Pretty comfortable I thought.

But other larger cities only have CRJ-200 from MSP, that you would think would easily support a 700 or bigger. CVG, DAY, OKC, YWG, MKE, BNA, SDF, OMA, ICT, CLE, CMH to name a few.
MSP - BNA is pretty much all Barbie Jets now. I booked a ticket today and had to avoid one twice on the inbound and outbound thru MSP.
The other problem with the 200s are that they are TERRIBLE in any type of weather. So bumpy and vomit inducing. Landing in SDF was roughly a half hour of hell.

The good news was I got out of 1a when they needed to balance the plane out.

Bad news was I was still crammed in a window, behind the exit row, behind the only person on the plane that put their seat back...good grief how selfish!
Quote: behind the only person on the plane that put their seat back...good grief how selfish!
It's not in the least selfish to use the room for which you paid -- and that includes the recline that your chair gives you.

Sorry, but I am not about to destroy my back by sitting in the same position for a few hours -- my chair is going to go back and forth as much as necessary to keep me comfortable.
Quote: I am short and I don't like those CRJ's by any means. I flew one from MSP to OMA last week and that was okay because 1) there was nobody sitting next to me and 2) it was a 45 minute flight.

Wednesday will be sheer torture: MSP to TUL in one of these tubes. Even though I have the exit row, there is absolutely no leg room.
Yeah! And the exit row legroom on these planes appear to be the exact dimensions as the others.

Quote: It's not in the least selfish to use the room for which you paid -- and that includes the recline that your chair gives you.

Sorry, but I am not about to destroy my back by sitting in the same position for a few hours -- my chair is going to go back and forth as much as necessary to keep me comfortable.
Its silly to consider this scenario "not in the least" selfish. I try to sit in the exit row to escape from having someone in my lap and bruising my kneecaps.
The width/pitch is on the low end....and it only tells half the story. The tube is so small that the window seats have much less leg and shoulder room than bigger planes. I am quite broad shouldered (I lift a lot of weights and could probably stand to lose about 10-15lbs) and can not sit up straight in a window seat on a 200.

Also...IT IS RUDE or SELFISH to put your seat back on a flight. Sorry. You probably leave your window open all flight and talk loudly on your cell phone too.
Quote: Yeah! And the exit row legroom on these planes appear to be the exact dimensions as the others.
I shouldn't share my secret, but I will

The row before the exit row (7) has no/minimal recline.
Quote: Also...IT IS RUDE or SELFISH to put your seat back on a flight.
I'm with Dovster on this one - it's something you paid for and you can recline as you please.

Quote: You probably leave your window open all flight and talk loudly on your cell phone too.
Don't forget kicking puppies!
Here's what I don't get, I'm not a big guy but if I put my shoulder against one edge of the seat my other shoulder is 3-4" outside the other edge. Now, I'm 5'9" and 180lbs. Again, not a big guy. So when I sit beside someone that is obese or even a big guy that isn't obese like yesterday we literally don't fit together on that side of the plane. The guy I sat beside yesterday was probably 6'6" and just big, not obese, just big. He had nowhere to go and thus I had to contort my back to stay out of the aisle. Even though I basically tucked my shoulder under his there was nowhere to go. My back still hurts today from it and I had more contact with him than I had with my last date. I just don't see how it is reasonable to even sell these seats in many cases. When you have to be child sized to fit in them there is something wrong. I've sat beside many people so obese that they don't even come close to fitting in these. It angers me that I don't have access to my seat because of the people sitting beside me. I would like to see some sort of sizing thing but I know that will never happen. One of these days someone is going to successfully sue an airline for not having access to their seat though so maybe that will help.