USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017>]

Subscribe
A manager at a Chevron with the MX915 said they were supposed to get EMV Updates last week but then the update did not come down as planned.

Shell with MX915 and Verifone Register has disabled NFC/Tap entirely...

I think we will see EMV at the gas pumps soon at the major oil companies since they appeared to have already been pretty far along in the certification process. Unless they think their beloved zip code prompt is security enough...? I think the bigger issue is skimming and cloned cards for them, though.
Quote: A manager at a Chevron with the MX915 said they were supposed to get EMV Updates last week but then the update did not come down as planned.

I think we will see EMV at the gas pumps soon at the major oil companies since they appeared to have already been pretty far along in the certification process. Unless they think their beloved zip code prompt is security enough...? I think the bigger issue is skimming and cloned cards for them, though.
"Beloved"? In my whole life I have only seen a ZIP code prompt a few times.
Quote: A manager at a Chevron with the MX915 said they were supposed to get EMV Updates last week but then the update did not come down as planned.

I don't think I've seen any Chevrons with MX915s around here. Maybe that's what the non-EMV capable MX860s (which seems to be most Chevrons here) will eventually end up with.

Quote: "Beloved"? In my whole life I have only seen a ZIP code prompt a few times.
It probably depends on the area. I see the ZIP code prompt nearly 100% of the time where I live.

I can't even count how many new pumps have been installed last month. It now seems every last one of them in my area now have huge color screens and EMV readers. The oil companies are doing a lot better than the retail stores! I bet we will see EMV enabled on these pumps well before 2020.
Quote: I can't even count how many new pumps have been installed last month. It now seems every last one of them in my area now have huge color screens and EMV readers. The oil companies are doing a lot better than the retail stores! I bet we will see EMV enabled on these pumps well before 2020.
Perhaps. I feel like they wouldn't have been able to get the pump software certified before this coming October though, hence the extension.
Quote: It probably depends on the area. I see the ZIP code prompt nearly 100% of the time where I live.
Probably does! Now that I think about it when I saw it it was always out of Montana!
I have a question for the geeks here as I am a very simple minded person (not meeant to be a derogatory term). You go up to a petrol pump. You swipe your card in the reader. How do you know whether it is reading the magnetic strip or the chip? In the past few years, even before emv became wide spread in the USA, very few pumps required you to insert the card and keep it there. You dipped the card, it read the magnetic strip, it very likely asked you for your zip code and you pumped the gas (except in NJ and Oregon where it is prohibited). Now with these emv readers, if indeed they are, yo perform the same action. As a former Secretary of State once cried out when her judgment was questioned, what difference does it make? The only question is whether at the end of the day, you can get your gas.

Now what is interesting is the progress being made with the restaurant industry and doing away with that back room where cc information was cloned for years. But then again is that really an emv issue? For years, before any of my cards had emv chips, they would still bring the terminals to my table and swipe it instead of inserting it. At the end of the day, what difference does it make?

As far as android pay, I used it once and quite frankly found it a bigger pain in the petuna than just using my card; but that's me. I guess I'm just a lone voice in the wilderness.

Happy new year everybody.
Quote: Probably does! Now that I think about it when I saw it it was always out of Montana!
One of the gas stations in the town just south of the Coutts/Sweet Grass border crossing used to ask but they've stopped doing it. I'm guessing it's because half the people using it have Alberta plates.
Quote: I have a question for the geeks here as I am a very simple minded person (not meeant to be a derogatory term). You go up to a petrol pump. You swipe your card in the reader. How do you know whether it is reading the magnetic strip or the chip? In the past few years, even before emv became wide spread in the USA, very few pumps required you to insert the card and keep it there. You dipped the card, it read the magnetic strip, it very likely asked you for your zip code and you pumped the gas (except in NJ and Oregon where it is prohibited). Now with these emv readers, if indeed they are, yo perform the same action.
My understanding is that it works like the ATMs that don't suck in your card: you insert it, and either it makes you remove the card immediately (meaning magstripe read) or the card stays while you answer questions on the display (chip read). Currently there are no EMV-capable gas pumps in the US; the one on the map is most likely a mistake. I also wouldn't be surprised if the ZIP code prompt stays for US-issued EMV cards if PIN isn't the chosen CVM.

Quote: For years, before any of my cards had emv chips, they would still bring the terminals to my table and swipe it instead of inserting it. At the end of the day, what difference does it make?
I never saw that in the US before EMV. Where did this happen, exactly?

As for overseas, EMV and pay at the table do go hand in hand simply because it's kinda hard to enter a PIN from 10+ meters away And you wouldn't want to tell the server it either.

Quote: As far as android pay, I used it once and quite frankly found it a bigger pain in the petuna than just using my card; but that's me.
I think it depends on the Android device. Some (like the Nexus 5X/6P and Pixel) are better suited for Android Pay than others due to the fingerprint reader.
Quote: I have a question for the geeks here as I am a very simple minded person (not meeant to be a derogatory term). You go up to a petrol pump. You swipe your card in the reader. How do you know whether it is reading the magnetic strip or the chip?.
I've been using EMV pumps for years in Canada. You insert your card and it will "click" and lock the card in place. You then answer questions on-screen (in Canada it will usually ask for maximum authorisation amount), enter PIN (if Chip and PIN card), send transaction for authorisation, and then release the card before you start pumping. The other change that happened was the pumps ask you to insert any loyalty cards before you insert your payment card.
Quote: I don't suppose you have a card reader and Cardpeek and can post the CVM lists from the old (signature-preferring) and new (PIN-preferring) cards?
I have only now stumbled upon this and as far as I can tell this hasn't been answered. Having just received the replacement SDFCU card I can confirm that according to Cardpeek they basically swapped the signature and offline PIN CVM entries in the list. It used to be Online PIN (ATM)/Signature (CC)/Offline PIN (CC)/No verification (CC) and is now Online PIN (ATM)/Offline PIN (CC)/Signature (CC)/No verification (CC).

HTH
Quote: I have only now stumbled upon this and as far as I can tell this hasn't been answered. Having just received the replacement SDFCU card I can confirm that according to Cardpeek they basically swapped the signature and offline PIN CVM entries in the list. It used to be Online PIN (ATM)/Signature (CC)/Offline PIN (CC)/No verification (CC) and is now Online PIN (ATM)/Offline PIN (CC)/Signature (CC)/No verification (CC).

HTH
It's kinda weird that PIN preferring issuers aren't bothering with online PIN for purchases. It'd beat having to say stuff like "enter your PIN three times for it to take effect".
Quote: It's kinda weird that PIN preferring issuers aren't bothering with online PIN for purchases. It'd beat having to say stuff like "enter your PIN three times for it to take effect".
No it isn't weird. Online PIN works fewer places and more importantly, some badly misconfigured terminals think they support it but don't, causing online PIN cards to fail completely.

However better advice would be to use your old PIN one last time.
Quote: No it isn't weird. Online PIN works fewer places and more importantly, some badly misconfigured terminals think they support it but don't, causing online PIN cards to fail completely.

I only remember one instance posted here about misconfigured terminals not handling online PIN correctly. It's probably not really anything to worry about.

More of a concern is that issuer scripting is not reliable in the US, even without taking Quick Chip into account. On that basis, online PIN preference (with offline PIN options on the card as well) would at least make the experience a bit more consistent.
Quote: It's kinda weird that PIN preferring issuers aren't bothering with online PIN for purchases. It'd beat having to say stuff like "enter your PIN three times for it to take effect".
For the record, SDFCU doesn't say that. They say (incorrectly) that you need to complete a signature transaction without elaborating that it has to be a chip & signature, not swipe and signature. They do not mention the ability to use the old PIN.

Quote: No it isn't weird. Online PIN works fewer places and more importantly, some badly misconfigured terminals think they support it but don't, causing online PIN cards to fail completely.

Agreed. Incidentally, this is what I did on the SDFCU card to change the PIN. One old PIN transaction was all it took to update to the new PIN.