FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA credit cards, except Executive. (2013-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1475783-citi-aa-credit-cards-except-executive-2013-2014-a.html)

sdsearch Jul 21, 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by 119luke (Post 23229676)
I had applied for two citi cards (with 100k miles) before and met the min spend on those. I thought of applying for this one and waited for 65 days. On 66th day from applying for my very first card, I applied for this card with 50k miles bonus. I got a mail to call a number. I called and the customer service guy said that it is approved. But just before I hung up he asked me to be on hold and there was 2 minute silence. He came back, apologized and told me that the card was denied. The reason he said was that I was opening up cards too quickly.

I want to know
1) How long should I wait before I apply again for the personal card? Is it 65 days?

2)if it is ok to apply for the business version of this card which also offers 50k. But I don't own any business.

3) I need exactly 50k more miles to book a round trip for me and my family. That's why I chose this card. Are there any other offers for 50k aa bonus miles out there?

1. You now have to wait (12 to) 18 (to 26) months after you last opened one of the 100k cards, before you can open a non-Executive personal AA card.

2. You don't need a business. Just say you have $0 business income and 0 employees, give your name as the business name. They don't tend to ask about your business in that case. (And if they did by chance ask, you could say you were planning to resell some stuff on ebay, or whatever, and you wanted to keep that activity separate.)

3. How do you know you need exactly 50k more miles? Availability at a certain level of redemption can change at any time. And in case you see the award available right now for 50k more, that doesn't mean that it's still going to be around at that redemption level by the time you get 50k more.

(Unless you mean that you have no specific travel date in mind, and you're going keep waiting, no matter how many months or years it takes, until that level of award availability actually materializes.)

So if you can go for a 60k or 75k Exec card (I haven't been keeping up with the hour-to-hour changes in Executive card offer availability), that might be simpler, since you're already familiar with that process.

SeeBuyFly Jul 21, 2014 11:44 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23231561)
2. You don't need a business. Just say you have $0 business income and 0 employees...

I'm sure you know this and misspoke, but for the benefit of others: there is no option for 0 employees. One has to choose "1-5 employees". This is technically a false statement since the applicant is the owner and not an employee, and there are no other employees, At first it bothered me make the incorrect statement, but there is no choice and Citi doesn't care.

carpentry4thought Jul 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly (Post 23232138)
I'm sure you know this and misspoke, but for the benefit of others: there is no option for 0 employees. One has to choose "1-5 employees". This is technically a false statement since the applicant is the owner and not an employee, and there are no other employees, At first it bothered me make the incorrect statement, but there is no choice and Citi doesn't care.

Have you ever heard the term "self employment"?

119luke Jul 21, 2014 9:11 pm

3. How do you know you need exactly 50k more miles? Availability at a certain level of redemption can change at any time. And in case you see the award available right now for 50k more, that doesn't mean that it's still going to be around at that redemption level by the time you get 50k more.

First of all, thank you so much for your time and answers. My friend recently booked the exact same trip and when I checked the last time in the website(https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rtnerChart.jsp), I saw that it will take 45k from US to my destination (economy). I need to book for 3 and so 3X45k = 135k for one side and another 135k for the return. So total 270k. As I mentioned earlier, I have 220k from the 2 citi aa exec cards and min spent. So I thought 50k more would be enough for the whole trip (220k+50k).

My plan is to book the tickets around Aug-Sept. Do you foresee the mile requirements as mentioned in the above link to change? I read in the forum that when the merger with US Airways is complete, the miles value can degrade. But not sure to what extent.

carpentry4thought Jul 21, 2014 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by 119luke (Post 23234650)
First of all, thank you so much for your time and answers. My friend recently booked the exact same trip and when I checked the last time in the website(https://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/...rtnerChart.jsp), I saw that it will take 45k from US to my destination (economy). I need to book for 3 and so 3X45k = 135k for one side and another 135k for the return. So total 270k. As I mentioned earlier, I have 220k from the 2 citi aa exec cards and min spent. So I thought 50k more would be enough for the whole trip (220k+50k).

My plan is to book the tickets around Aug-Sept. Do you foresee the mile requirements as mentioned in the above link to change? I read in the forum that when the merger with US Airways is complete, the miles value can degrade. But not sure to what extent.

Nobody here knows those things. I wish they did. Speaking from my actions, however, I've used AA miles to book my trips for the next year because of concern over devaluations. Just get the miles and hope for the best. That's all you can do. Don't get caught up in the masturbatory speculation.

MDtR-Chicago Jul 21, 2014 11:03 pm

I need to book for 3 and so 3X45k = 135k for one side and another 135k for the return. So total 270k.

If you're using a partner award, the partner has to offer availability in its LOWEST award level for that seat to be available using AA miles. 3 seats on the same flight can be difficult...

You may want to check actual availability for your dates and, if available, get your spending done very quickly.

119luke Jul 22, 2014 1:39 am

Thanks MDtR-Chicago. I will give a call to AA award ticket cs and check the general availability.

sharka Jul 22, 2014 1:00 pm

2. You don't need a business. Just say you have $0 business income and 0 employees, give your name as the business name. They don't tend to ask about your business in that case. (And if they did by chance ask, you could say you were planning to resell some stuff on ebay, or whatever, and you wanted to keep that activity separate.)

Haven't applied for Citi Biz card in the last 3 yrs. Last time I was turned down was because they said didnt have the biz long enough (put in less than a yr)and didnt have enough biz income ( I also put in $0 biz income). Not sure if they would've given me the card back then if I had put in different numbers on the app.

Now planning to apply for the Citi AA biz card again. I currently have 2 AA personal platinium cards open from last yr multiple app. and also 1 AA bronze card which I have for several yrs now.
Wondering if I should close some of those AA personal cards before applying for the biz card for better chance of approval or just leave them open as maybe it dont matter either way. Any thoughts on this.

sdsearch Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm

I saw that it will take 45k from US to my destination (economy). I need to book for 3 and so 3X45k = 135k for one side and another 135k for the return. So total 270k. As I mentioned earlier, I have 220k from the 2 citi aa exec cards and min spent. So I thought 50k more would be enough for the whole trip (220k+50k).

My plan is to book the tickets around Aug-Sept. Do you foresee the mile requirements as mentioned in the above link to change?

First of all, there is quite limited avialbility at these levels. (And on partner flights, there are no higher levels for "any seat", like there are on AA's own planes.) So you can try booking around Aug-Sept, but whether you'll have success at that point, or have to wait many more months for that much (3 seats!) to open up, that's a big quesiton. And so it's not just a matter of whether the award chart will change by the time you want to try to book, it's whether it will change by the time you can book.

For some histrical precedents: UA changed its partner award chart early this year, with only a few months' warning. AA already changed some other charts (not partner awards) already this year, with no warning!

Also, there's another possiblity: There are restrictions on routing for the 45k level. There's a possiblity that there will no availability on the routings that qualify for the 45k level, but other routings that may have availability may require more miles. (It would help if you could explain which region you're flying to. For example, US to India is one of the 45k destinations, but it's only 45k on trans-atlantic routings; if you can only find a trans-pacific routing, which is often the case for people trying to get from US to Inida on AA partners, especially without high "YQ" fees on BA, that would be more miles.)

mintcilantro Jul 23, 2014 12:43 pm

I opened the AA Plat a/c on Aug 16, 2013. My statement closes around 23rd of every month. I'm wondering charges posting to my statement in Aug 2014 will count towards the $30,000 spend requirement for this year or towards next year.

I have the following terms and conditions for the $100 discount. My guess is it will count towards next year if the charges post after Aug 16th and if they are before 16th, it will be towards this year.

Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount when you spend $30,000 or more in purchases on your CitiŽ / AAdvantageŽ credit card during your cardmembership year (each 12 month period prior to your anniversary date) and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary. If the $30,000 purchase requirement was met during your cardmembership year and your account remains open for at least 45 days after your anniversary, please allow 8-12 weeks for the Flight Discount delivery.

firsttimeflying Jul 23, 2014 1:01 pm

Confused about the FAQ. Help?

I have a question regarding the FAQ:

"1.Are these AA cards churnable?
Yes and No. The general rules are: Personal AA cards: As of August 25, 2013 all linked personal AA cards can be churned only after Citi decides that you are no longer an existing cardmember. This usually occurs between 12 and 26 months after your last successful AA personal card approval of any type including AA Executive card(s). If you want both a Platinum and an Executive AA card and are eligible under the 12-26 month rule, get the Platinum card first. Although it is not a hard-and-fast rule, 18 months after previous approval is the most common. YMMV. You do not need to cancel old cards."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure it is not 12-26 months after I cancel the card? For example, I opened at AAdvantage Citi (Platinum) on 07/2013. I closed it today (07/2014) because of the annual fee. When can I churn this exact card again? Because 12-26 is a wide spread and it's YMMV. Any suggestions? Is there a way to check that "I'm not in the system" anymore prior to submitting an application?

Also, are business cards churnable if I open it under different LLCs?

Thanks FT!

sdsearch Jul 23, 2014 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by firsttimeflying (Post 23244754)
I have a question regarding the FAQ:

"1.Are these AA cards churnable?
Yes and No. The general rules are: Personal AA cards: As of August 25, 2013 all linked personal AA cards can be churned only after Citi decides that you are no longer an existing cardmember. This usually occurs between 12 and 26 months after your last successful AA personal card approval of any type including AA Executive card(s). If you want both a Platinum and an Executive AA card and are eligible under the 12-26 month rule, get the Platinum card first. Although it is not a hard-and-fast rule, 18 months after previous approval is the most common. YMMV. You do not need to cancel old cards."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure it is not 12-26 months after I cancel the card?

Yes, we're sure. While other banks do, Citi never counts from cancellation, and other than for business cards (for most people) it doesn't even require cancellation.

For example, I opened at AAdvantage Citi (Platinum) on 07/2013. I closed it today (07/2014) because of the annual fee.

You probably could have kept it open and still not paid the annual fee. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

When can I churn this exact card again? Because 12-26 is a wide spread and it's YMMV. Any suggestions? Is there a way to check that "I'm not in the system" anymore prior to submitting an application?

No, there's no way to check. The "sweet spot" (in terms of statistics) is around 18 months, ie more people get approved by 18 months than not. Some get approved earlier (as early as 12 months), and a few don't get approved until 26 months.

Given that you're only 12 months from when you opened the previous one, there's a slight chance you'd get approved but a way bigger chance that you'd get rejected.

Also, are business cards churnable if I open it under different LLCs?

I don't know what you mean by "different LLCs". You can open a business card without having a busness; just use your name as the business name, 0 years in business, 1-5 employees.

As to whether it's churnable, that's another YMMV. Most people need to wait for the bonus to post, then cancel both the business card and its associated master account, and additionally wait at least 95* days since the previuos business card was opened, before they can open another business card. But some people get denied for a second card apparently despite that.

*It's officially 90 days, but Citi tends to count days wrong, so never take an official Citi count at face value.

firsttimeflying Jul 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 23244938)
Yes, we're sure. While other banks do, Citi never counts from cancellation, and other than for business cards (for most people) it doesn't even require cancellation.

You probably could have kept it open and still not paid the annual fee. See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...all-cards.html

No, there's no way to check. The "sweet spot" (in terms of statistics) is around 18 months, ie more people get approved by 18 months than not. Some get approved earlier (as early as 12 months), and a few don't get approved until 26 months.

Given that you're only 12 months from when you opened the previous one, there's a slight chance you'd get approved but a way bigger chance that you'd get rejected.

I don't know what you mean by "different LLCs". You can open a business card without having a busness; just use your name as the business name, 0 years in business, 1-5 employees.

As to whether it's churnable, that's another YMMV. Most people need to wait for the bonus to post, then cancel both the business card and its associated master account, and additionally wait at least 95* days since the previuos business card was opened, before they can open another business card. But some people get denied for a second card apparently despite that.

*It's officially 90 days, but Citi tends to count days wrong, so never take an official Citi count at face value.

Thank you sdsearch! Great information. Just to confirm, for churning the sweet spot is roughly 18 months. Does that include (or in fact, matter) if the card is open or do all cards that are churned need to be closed?

When you say "master account" do you mean the primary accountholder? Or the first business card you opened? Thanks again, sdsearch!

carpentry4thought Jul 23, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by firsttimeflying (Post 23245190)
Thank you sdsearch! Great information. Just to confirm, for churning the sweet spot is roughly 18 months. Does that include (or in fact, matter) if the card is open or do all cards that are churned need to be closed?

When you say "master account" do you mean the primary accountholder? Or the first business card you opened? Thanks again, sdsearch!

Reading through appropriate threads will give you better ideas on what to do than any quick answer you'll get here.

flyerhog Jul 23, 2014 4:50 pm

Just got denied for my 2nd AA Business Card. The reason given was that I had too many open and closed accounts for Citi. The most recent closed account was the Personal AA card in January. The only account now I had with them is the World Master Elite.

Anybody got rejected for the same reason I did?