USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015]

Subscribe
Quote: Plaintext Online PIN does not exist. All online PINs are enciphered. Online PINs are encrypted by the terminal and sent to the acquirer. Online PINs for EMV are handled by the terminal just like PINs for debit cards.

And no, your theory about the CVM list is incorrect. In your scenario, the terminal at the yogurt shop would actually void the transaction when you pushed NO. Per the EMV standard, once the terminal decides to try a CVM (either by choice or automatically), then the transaction will be voided if that particular CVM cannot be completed.

Also, there is no way for USAA to have a backup PIN for the people who void signature transactions.
So my understanding of "fail" vs "apply succeeding" is flawed, then. What's the point of the latter when the terminal effectively behaves as though it's the former?
Quote: Plaintext Online PIN does not exist. All online PINs are enciphered. Online PINs are encrypted by the terminal and sent to the acquirer. Online PINs for EMV are handled by the terminal just like PINs for debit cards.

And no, your theory about the CVM list is incorrect. In your scenario, the terminal at the yogurt shop would actually void the transaction when you pushed NO. Per the EMV standard, once the terminal decides to try a CVM (either by choice or automatically), then the transaction will be voided if that particular CVM cannot be completed.

Also, there is no way for USAA to have a backup PIN for the people who void signature transactions.
If that's the case, then in what case is the succeeding rule applied?
Quote: So my understanding of "fail" vs "apply succeeding" is flawed, then. What's the point of the latter when the terminal effectively behaves as though it's the former?
Quote: If that's the case, then in what case is the succeeding rule applied?
Sorry I don't have time today to do a more thorough writeup. I'll see if I can squeeze it in tomorrow. But this should answer all your questions and any other questions you might have about CVMs.

http://www.eftlab.co.uk/index.php/si...ication-in-emv

And pay special attention to this quote while looking at the diagram.
"For signature this is perhaps easiest; if the terminal is capable of handling signature then it is deemed successful."
Quote: Sorry I don't have time today to do a more thorough writeup. I'll see if I can squeeze it in tomorrow. But this should answer all your questions and any other questions you might have about CVMs.

http://www.eftlab.co.uk/index.php/si...ication-in-emv

And pay special attention to this quote while looking at the diagram.
"For signature this is perhaps easiest; if the terminal is capable of handling signature then it is deemed successful."
Very interesting read
It never fails to amaze me how complex the back end of EMV cards really is,especially when it comes to CVM
As the cardholder we just hand over our card and all this stuff happens in the background within a matter of seconds. Amazing.
Quote: Very interesting read
It never fails to amaze me how complex the back end of EMV cards really is,especially when it comes to CVM
As the cardholder we just hand over our card and all this stuff happens in the background within a matter of seconds. Amazing.
I admit that it was complex enough that I didn't even fully follow
Even for terminals that can process and accept a chip card without a PIN, note that there may still be a per transaction limit of something like 50EUR/transaction limit when not having/using a PIN card at an electronic kiosk terminal. I keep hearing about such encounters from American tourists attempting to use the self-service ticket kiosks at Versailles and I have had it validated that there is a transaction amount issue. [Visitors to Versailles during peak tourism seasons would be best advised to buy tickets online in order to not have to deal with the long ticketing lines and then the longer entry lines.]

Which places in France only accept French cards?
Quote: Which places in France only accept French cards?
I can't speak for all of France. But was recently in Marseille, and at a Kosher/Jewish place, they specifically accept all cards and made a point of that because they have a lot of Israeli visitors. However, the store down the street only accepted French cards.
Quote: Does anyone have firsthand evidence that this is true? I know I've read it elsewhere in the forum but I rather doubt it actually works this way.
https://www.barclaycardus.com/servic...rd?legacy=true

"If you've already activated your card, and you do not know or want to customize your PIN, visit the Manage your PIN section on the customer service website or call the number on the back of your card."

There's more at the URL listed regarding how to "activate" your new PIN overseas.
It seems like most mobile carriers won't allow transactions with foreign cards.

For instance, recharging a SIM card online.
SFOAMS has created an excellent interactive webpage which lists US EMV cards: http://us-emv-cards.silk.co/

I've went ahead and added this webpage link to the wiki
Quote: It seems like most mobile carriers won't allow transactions with foreign cards.

For instance, recharging a SIM card online.
What's this got to do with EMV chip cards? Regardless,
for this you have to use a third-party reload service For example, I use the Irish service eztop

Its legit
I have two hard data points RE: card acceptance for the PenFed 'chip enabled' Visa card. This card supports a PIN, but defaults to signature verification. Last month the card was rejected by the automated tollbooth in France (near Carcassonne), despite the PIN verification option on the card. Today in the SPAR market in Rhayader, Wales the cashier invalidated the transaction because the card negotiated signature verification. She said they don't allow signature verification, only PINs.

FWIW, I have never been prompted for the PIN on this card. Whenever I have used it, it has always negotiated signature verification (even at the self-service supermarket checkout lanes). However, I am also carrying an SDFCU 'EMV Visa', and I can confirm it worked w/PIN in the automated ticket machines in the Madrid metro. However, it has always negotiated signature verification as well every other time I have used it.
In Wales, you spoke in English with the merchant?
Quote: Today in the SPAR market in Rhayader, Wales the cashier invalidated the transaction because the card negotiated signature verification. She said they don't allow signature verification, only PINs.
Does anyone know how to file a complaint in the UK against a merchant that doesn't accept signature transactions? It's either that or we raise holy hell with US issuers, which have shown that they don't really care.
Quote: Does anyone know how to file a complaint in the UK against a merchant that doesn't accept signature transactions? It's either that or we raise holy hell with US issuers, which have shown that they don't really care.
http://www.theukcardsassociation.org.uk/contact-us/

They generally deal with these types of complaints but I doubt anything would be done about it. You would probably be better off complaining to Spar.