FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Credit Card Programs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs-599/)
-   -   USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature) [2012-2015] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit-card-programs/1304271-usa-emv-cards-availability-q-chip-pin-chip-signature-2012-2015-a.html)

newemv Dec 4, 2015 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by reclusive46 (Post 25814864)
Its either that or the bank has programmed the service code incorrectly (which is unheard of). I would be very wary of accepting a card doing this and simply tell the customer the card has been declined. If you want to accept it safely, its best to call authorisations and ask for a code 10.

I didn't accept it. The guy was very rude about it. Hey, the machine won't accept it for whatever reason, I can't help you. Trying to insult me and say my machine is junk won't help anyone.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25814897)
My question is: what did you mean exactly by "before I could swipe it"? I have a chipless Visa debit card that is contactless; is your POS NFC enabled, with the amount over $25? That would make more sense (although I thought normally that just forces a signature).

Yes, the customer gave me the card, so as I was trying to swipe it on the Pin pad, it prompted me that message. I swiped anyway, told me to insert, did both, nothing. Just goes around in loops. The purchase was 3 figures.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 25814902)
The secret is to swipe it from the bottom of the terminal up instead of from the top down :)

I'm pretty sure I've done that before to no avail. Is there a reason why my terminal is prejudice?

Points Scrounger Dec 4, 2015 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by newemv (Post 25814942)
Yes, the customer gave me the card, so as I was trying to swipe it on the Pin pad, it prompted me that message. I swiped anyway, told me to insert, did both, nothing. Just goes around in loops. The purchase was 3 figures.

In that case, your terminal was rejecting the contactless attempt (unknowingly made by you), and mistakenly assumed it was a chip card (unless somehow the issuer told the terminal that in declining the NFC request). Swiping upwards in first place would have kept the card away from the NFC field, so that the swiping would have "taken" as intended (unless the bank was insisting on the chip, not the terminal). So, perhaps the guy was genuinely pissed off, and not a thief. I don't use my chipless NFC debit card at stores, so it's never happened to me.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 25815032)
In that case, your terminal was rejecting the contactless attempt (unknowingly made by you), and mistakenly assumed it was a chip card (unless somehow the issuer told the terminal that in declining the NFC request). Swiping upwards in first place would have kept the card away from the NFC field, so that the swiping would have "taken" as intended (unless the bank was insisting on the chip, not the terminal). So, perhaps the guy was genuinely pissed off, and not a thief. I don't use my chipless NFC debit card at stores, so it's never happened to me.

Interesting. So for future reference, I suppose I should swipe upward. All these new occurrences since the EMV switch:rolleyes:.

Btw, the guy was a jerk even before giving me the card but he wasn't a thief.

tmiw Dec 4, 2015 4:05 pm

Weird that it declined the tap though when the EMV only requirement for Visa contactless isn't for another four months.

BTW if all else fails the terminal should allow you to enter the card number, expiration, CVV2, etc. by hand. You'll be liable if the transaction's fraudulent but if you have the physical card the risk is lower.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 25815133)
BTW if all else fails the terminal should allow you to enter the card number, expiration, CVV2, etc. by hand. You'll be liable if the transaction's fraudulent but if you have the physical card the risk is lower.

True. I never do it, though, especially for an entitled person. If it's a customer I have a great relationship with, I'll let them make a payment another time.

Points Scrounger Dec 4, 2015 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 25815133)
Weird that it declined the tap though when the EMV only requirement for Visa contactless isn't for another four months.

Wasn't the tap denied because of the large amount of the purchase?

AllieKat Dec 4, 2015 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by newemv (Post 25814968)
I'm pretty sure I've done that before to no avail. Is there a reason why my terminal is prejudice?

Probably the amount was too high for contactless.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 25815515)

But why wouldn't it let me swipe? It was only in the hundreds.

AllieKat Dec 4, 2015 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by newemv (Post 25815604)
But why wouldn't it let me swipe? It was only in the hundreds.

Because some terminals, especially the model you have, are poorly designed and a swipe of a contactless card often leads to a contactless read. Thus why I suggested swiping from the bottom up, to try to prevent the contactless reading before the swipe. This will all go away soon as EMV cards replace magstripe cards.

newemv Dec 4, 2015 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 25815611)
Because some terminals, especially the model you have, are poorly designed and a swipe of a contactless card often leads to a contactless read. Thus why I suggested swiping from the bottom up, to try to prevent the contactless reading before the swipe. This will all go away soon as EMV cards replace magstripe cards.

So my equipment sucks!? :D

What is the maximum dollar amount allowed for contactless? I thought everything was dependent on the issuer and holder and whatever they worked out regardless of method of swipe/tap/insert.

jamar Dec 4, 2015 5:46 pm

In case anyone's curious, my Citi ATM card works at Target, uses the "Citibank Card" AID, and prompts for a PIN with the option for cashback. So it definitely works for purchases. I'd post a picture of the receipt but I can't figure out where I put it.

Also, as a follow up to my ICBC card and the frankly horrific T&C as pertains to fraud liability- "safeguarding the chip" apparently only refers to contactless payment tags. That explains the "offline balance" method Chinese contactless cards use. Physical merchant liability works differently (thankfully for all cards now, liability doesn't necessarily fall on the cardholder) but according to people online, the dispute process takes a lot of time and paperwork, and at least part of the process can only be done by fax. Between that and the fact that offline PIN is nowhere to be found on its CVM list I don't really have a reason to use that card anymore.

Sorry, I know this was kinda off-topic but I did have to get it off my chest.

zolk Dec 4, 2015 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by AllieKat (Post 25815515)

This sounds similar to an experience I had at a local merchant with a VX 805, except I was using Apple Pay. Smaller transactions (<$50) always work, but when I tried for a transaction just over $100 I saw the same "CRD NOT ACCEPTED - INSERT CHIP CARD" message. Of course, my Apple Watch has no chip to insert, so it sounds like this is just a generic message displayed whenever a contactless attempt is over the limit. Therefore, I'd agree with the theory that the card was probably perfectly legit, but had a contactless chip that was being read before the swipe attempt.

However, this brings up a larger question: Why are these terminals seemingly imposing a contactless limit? I can understand a limit for MSD contactless, but not for a CDCVM-supported EMV contactless transaction.

D582 Dec 4, 2015 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by zolk (Post 25816032)

However, this brings up a larger question: Why are these terminals seemingly imposing a contactless limit? I can understand a limit for MSD contactless, but not for a CDCVM-supported EMV contactless transaction.

The terminal has to a) actually be enabled and supporting EMV contactless for the particular card brand you are using, b) the terminal has to support ODCVM, and c) the issuer has to have provisioned the card on your device to support ODCVM.