Ctrip Flight Reservations: Need to Verify with Airline?

Subscribe
I recently booked two one-way flights with Ctrip (Xian to Guilin). I received a confirmation email with the itinerary, but no PNR or ticket numbers. So, I emailed Ctrip and asked them to send me the PNR and ticket numbers, which they did.

So, I have all the information I need, or do I? Should I be calling China Southern to verify that our itinerary is in their system? Or, do I just trust that all is okay since I have the all-important PNR & ticket numbers. From all the reading I've done here, it seems like Ctrip is reliable and trustworthy, so I'm not really worried about fraud, just something slipping through the cracks.

I have two more flight segments I need to book soon, so just want to make sure I do all the right things. Really don't want any surprises at the airport.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
Ctrip Flight Reservations: Need to Verify with Airline?
I have used citrip before and the are trustworthy but I would still call or go online and check the reservation by pnr or ticket numbers
In all the times I have booked domestic Chinese flights through ctrip, I have NEVER had a booking not appear. I don't personally ever bother with calling airlines and checking PNR's, etc. I take a printout of confirmation along as backup...but never have had to use that either. Just step up to check-in, present your passport, and there you go!

You may be surprised to find that paradoxically, using the Chinese-based online agencies such as ctrip, elong, etc. for Chinese flights is more reliable and trustworthy than whatever it is you're used to using with your own domestic flights.
I can second Jiejie's experience with ctrip bookings. I use them 2-3 times a month and I don't even bother to print their confirmation.
Just show my passport at check in. Never any problems!

On top of that, once you have registered your mobile number, calling them will result in automatically recognizing you and showing your itinerary on their display. the agent is ready to help you changing / modifying or canceling your ticket without any hassle.
Thank you all for your quick replies! I'll leave my Ctrip worries behind, and just look forward to our trip.

Many thanks,
Ceiba
If there is a change in schedule or a cancellation, delay or anything. They will text you a message informing you of the change.

Ctrip is the last thing I worry about

If you are flying this week, typhoons would be my worry depending on where you will be flying in China
Thanks, Taiwaned, for your input. Glad to hear so many say there's no need to worry about Ctrip reservations. And, we're not traveling soon, so no typhoons to worry about (yet)!

I'm curious about all the references to Ctrip texting flight info once a mobile number is registered. I think I remember being asked for a mobile phone number, but left it blank because we think we're not bringing our iPhones. Because we have non-jailbroken iPhones (so can't switch out Sim cards), we were thinking of just getting one of those international travel phones that you can rent for the duration of your trip. If we do that, I guess I should go into our Ctrip account and enter the "rental phone number" into it so that Ctrip can contact us?

Again, many thanks.
Ceiba
Quote: Thanks, Taiwaned, for your input. Glad to hear so many say there's no need to worry about Ctrip reservations. And, we're not traveling soon, so no typhoons to worry about (yet)!

I'm curious about all the references to Ctrip texting flight info once a mobile number is registered. I think I remember being asked for a mobile phone number, but left it blank because we think we're not bringing our iPhones. Because we have non-jailbroken iPhones (so can't switch out Sim cards), we were thinking of just getting one of those international travel phones that you can rent for the duration of your trip. If we do that, I guess I should go into our Ctrip account and enter the "rental phone number" into it so that Ctrip can contact us?

Again, many thanks.
Ceiba
Don't do the "rental phone" thing. You can buy a (cheap) phone+SIM for y200 after you arrive in China.
Moondog, thank you! Our first stop is Beijing. Where would we go to get a phone for y200? Staying in Wangfujing area.

Thanks!
Ceiba
Quote: Moondog, thank you! Our first stop is Beijing. Where would we go to get a phone for y200? Staying in Wangfujing area.

Thanks!
Ceiba
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably jailbreak one of your iPhones instead of buying a y150 phone, but both tasks can be accomplished at the same stores. Buy Now is the closest to Wangfujing that I know of, while the market near Chef Too (Chaoyang Park, west gate) is the cheapest (assuming you don't want to make the trek to Zhonguancun). There are also lots of cell phone stores in Wangfujing itself; you will not find a Y150 phone at any of them, but they can do the jailbreaking drill for a small premium over the guys at Buy Now.
Quote: Thank you all for your quick replies! I'll leave my Ctrip worries behind, and just look forward to our trip.

Many thanks,
Ceiba
Added data point from someone who hasn't used ctrip quite as often. 4 flights (3 tix each) last month, and no issues.

It is worth getting the PNR/ticket number so you can check in/seat select online. Some of the airlines let you do it with passport only, but another (I forget) requires PNR as well.
moondog and drewguy: your advice is all very helpful.

Thanks so much,
Ceiba
Quote: moondog and drewguy: your advice is all very helpful.

Thanks so much,
Ceiba
Check out the other CTRIP threads if you're still concerned, but you should be fine. Ctrip is 100% reliable IMO.