Boarding Pass Checks by Cabin Crew

Subscribe
Quote: As a regular on this flight (you can tell from the name I guess), I have always had my boarding pass checked when inboard, but increasingly both BA and FlyMaybe (same handling agent I believe) at the IoM seem to be lax in checking photo ID at the gate. In the last 6 trips it has been 50/50.

Manx flyer.
Would BA want their ground staff checking photo ID on this route? Like JER it's 'sorta domestic' so I can't see BA wanting to check ID at the gate.
It is a UK CAA regulation for all airlines that operate under their rules, which applies to UK airlines.

This was brought in by the CAA after 9/11, at the same time they brought in the rules about the flight deck door having to be locked during the flight.

The boarding cards on mobile devices have to be created by the Boarding pass app, copies of the printable boarding passes are not allowed to be used.
As crew we have to check the date, flight number and that it has the square barcode as opposed to the long barcode found on a printed boarding pass.
Quote: Would BA want their ground staff checking photo ID on this route? Like JER it's 'sorta domestic' so I can't see BA wanting to check ID at the gate.
+1 ^
Quote: The boarding cards on mobile devices have to be created by the Boarding pass app, copies of the printable boarding passes are not allowed to be used.
As crew we have to check the date, flight number and that it has the square barcode as opposed to the long barcode found on a printed boarding pass.
I get that. What I don't understand is why it can't be a screenshot of the mobile BP (and why crew sometimes insist on taking your phone and swiping it to prove this). I can't see how a screenshot of a mobile bp is any different to a pyobp.

It's much quicker to access a photo than the app.
Quote: The boarding cards on mobile devices have to be created by the Boarding pass app, copies of the printable boarding passes are not allowed to be used.
...err, anyone happen to know why screenshots aren't OK? If Apple's 'Passbook' app is OK for storing BPs, why isn't a screenshot?

When I get a mobile BP from Lufthansa it's a barcode and some text in an bog-standard email. Neither LH nor their crew care what email client I used to open the email and display it, so I'm 99% sure a screenshot of the email including the barcode would be just fine.

Some airlines/airports go for K.I.S.S., and things work, yet it seems in the UK / at BA / at HAL those in charge just can't resist applying the gold plating ...
I used the Passbook BP for the first time today - I really like it.. one swipe on the home screen and it's there!
With regard to why the screen shot is not OK, is something you will have to ask BA.

I was just confirming that we can't accept them but I an afraid I don't know the reason.

There is a thread about the BA APP and a BA technical representative monitors it, so you could post your question on there and he may be able to answer it for you.

As I have mentioned before, there is no need for crew to touch the screen and this should not be happening. BA have been reminding crew of this, so hopefully you won't get crew trying to do this too often from now on.
Quote: Would BA want their ground staff checking photo ID on this route? Like JER it's 'sorta domestic' so I can't see BA wanting to check ID at the gate.
Flew to JER a few weeks ago. BP was checked but they had no interest in checking photo id.

As for the mobile BP, I've started using them recently and find that they work really well. It's one less piece of paper to lose. I have had the crew scrolling my phone but it doesn't bother me. I assumed it was so that they could check the whole BP.
A little funny story about BP's for those who may not have read it.
Quote: A little funny story about BP's for those who may not have read it.
That must have been great fun!
Quote: That must have been great fun!
Indeed. You'd be lost for words I'd imagine if someone handed that over to you on boarding!
Quote: Under CAA regs, crew have to check BPs upon entering the aircraft.
I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. But I was informed that some people still get on the wrong flight (not sure how this is done when you should be caught at the gate) or at least that is the stated rationale.

Somehow we manage to do without this nonsense across the pond.
Quote: I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. But I was informed that some people still get on the wrong flight (not sure how this is done when you should be caught at the gate) or at least that is the stated rationale.

I know it wasn't BA but there was that schoolgirl at Manchester than managed to get through security AND on board a Jet 2 aircraft without a boarding pass or passport...
Quote: As a regular on this flight (you can tell from the name I guess), I have always had my boarding pass checked when inboard, but increasingly both BA and FlyMaybe (same handling agent I believe) at the IoM seem to be lax in checking photo ID at the gate. In the last 6 trips it has been 50/50.

Manx flyer.
BA don't check photo id on domestics
Quote: I always found this to be particularly stupid in that it should theoretically be impossible to board without the correct card. (...)
Most "foreign" airlines also do without this nonsense when flying out of the UK! This is applied by airline, not by country of departure.