AEROPLAN SHORT-HAUL FLIGHTS NOT WORTH It!

Subscribe
I joined the AMEX AEROPLAN Card to get MLL access and a free companion pass for short hauls (Edmonton to Vancouver in my case)

I discovered that AEROPLAN has a $98 tax including fuel surcharge versus $42 when you buy a ticket. Since I can get flights as low as $79 I am using 15,000 miles to save $33.

This seriously reduces the value of the AMEX AEROPLAN card.
Quote: I joined the AMEX AEROPLAN Card to get MLL access and a free companion pass for short hauls (Edmonton to Vancouver in my case)

I discovered that AEROPLAN has a $98 tax including fuel surcharge versus $42 when you buy a ticket. Since I can get flights as low as $79 I am using 15,000 miles to save $33.

This seriously reduces the value of the AMEX AEROPLAN card.
Ummm... I would never use points unless the base ticket cost was at least $400. 15,000 points is worth a minimum of $150 if you redeem for toasters - more for flights. Wait to use your coupon for a last minute booking and/or sometime when AC is not running seat sales. Some short hauls can be $1k, so getting two of those for 15k points and $200 in taxes and fees is a good deal.

SG
I agree with Snow Goose, you have to be more selective with the use of short haul flights. For me, I have used them last minute when fares were $500+ or during peak times of expensive routes (NYC-YUL/YYZ for example - of course, flexibility is important). Sounds like the extra points was in addition to the MLL program, so at least for the bonus miles, you still would get some benefit for them.
I have used AP for short-haul flights (15k) for last minute flights over $800... total with AP is $190 AI + 15k APM. That's not a bad deal to me. Think you just need to be more selective.
AP is a VERY poor choice for a frequent flyer program! Shop around find out how to put you miles to United.
Quote: AP is a VERY poor choice for a frequent flyer program! Shop around find out how to put you miles to United.
Come on - for anyone based in Canada, UA is not a serious alternative unless you want to connect through the US whenever you fly... and get upgraded to something not too far above AC's Y in quality... and on top of that - their filtering of Starnet flights - you might not even be able to redeem for what you want!
until you have tired both programs, you have no idea. its been discussed forever here, if UA can work for you its a great, if not suffer. PS or get nexus.

PS UA is upgrading its C seats, and E+ or an exit row [booked in advance] is light years ahead of Y on AC
getting an award ticket for $20 is also nice.
Caveat Emptor! Were you not aware that Aeroplan awards require payment of both fuel surchage and the other usual taxes and fees associated with a revenue ticket? well, you do now.
Quote: until you have tired both programs, you have no idea. its been discussed forever here, if UA can work for you its a great, if not suffer. PS or get nexus.

PS UA is upgrading its C seats, and E+ or an exit row [booked in advance] is light years ahead of Y on AC
getting an award ticket for $20 is also nice.
The OP , I believe, was getting miles from the AMEX Aeroplan card, so not sure if he can get UA miles on that.
Having said that, yes, redemption costs are lower at Mileage Plus. Pros and cons ad nauseum on AC vs UA, though this not the point of this thread.
Quote: AP is a VERY poor choice for a frequent flyer program! Shop around find out how to put you miles to United.
UA elite benefits are of little use unless you fly within or to the US. And now that UA has begun to charge enormous co-payments for using miles to upgrade, I am beginning to question the value of the program unless one is a 1K. True, E+ is great, but if you are flying AC metal, it is of no use. (Also, UA doesn't have short haul awards, so that same flight if provided through Mileage Plus would cost 25K, though with less in actual cash required.
delete
Quote: The OP , I believe, was getting miles from the AMEX Aeroplan card, so not sure if he can get UA miles on that.
Having said that, yes, redemption costs are lower at Mileage Plus. Pros and cons ad nauseum on AC vs UA, though this not the point of this thread.
Or the ad nauseum when people complain about the awards on AC or the costs. Perhaps SH said it best Caveat Emptor!
Or before you are a sucker and buy the card or collect the points, warning its a rip off
Quote: Or before you are a sucker and buy the card or collect the points, warning its a rip off
Wait a second - now you're saying the card is a rip off? I don't understand how you are a sucker to buy the card... I think it's one of the best cards in the world - IF you use the features strategically and/or you spend a lot of money annually on CC and/or you don't have elite status:

You essentially get a fast-track into some of the highlights of status - you get lounge access (to the superior MLLs), priority check-in, and essentially 30,000 miles - 15,000 plus the ability to use those 15,000 for a second companion flight.

If you used them for a NYC round-trip, you'd pay just ~$275 in taxes for two people to get to NYC. Even with $99 each way++ that'd be close to $600 for two, making that benefit alone paying for the card if used non-opportunistically. For me, I used it to get two of us to BOS when it would have cost over $1,500 for the two of it, so it was very very valuable.

Secondly, If you travel within Canada and use the Fairmont fast-track, you can get a $1,000+ benefit ($100 of food, free night anywhere, 2 suite upgrades) by staying just 5 nights instead of 25 at any Fairmont. (you get this twice - once in the year you earn it, and once the following year)

And finally, if you spend any kind of large amount (I assume 50-100k) on the card, AMEX will comp you the regular Platinum card, where you have access to FHR, the International Airline program, and some other great stuff.

Of course, you also get 1.5 points on ALL spending, so for anyone spending large amounts, this extra 50% can add up to 1-2 extra First Class *A flights annually, with a retail value of $5,000-$50,000 (see the thread on how valuable the new routings allowed can be!)

Do you want to know what really sucks? Other programs. A friend just booked one-way YYZ-SYD with Qantas and paid almost 200,000 one-way. That same flight with AP is only 140,000 round-trip (1/3 of the amount)

What do you think is so great about MP? Lower taxes on redemption? I'd rather have more redemption options available and at a lower mileage cost than save 30-50% on the taxes/fees. E+ might be nice but I'd rather have great IFE + newer planes than an inch or two more legroom... and I'm tall!
I agree with SH - CAVEAT EMPTOR.

Besides, I think the thread title is slightly misleading.
A while ago I thought going to Quebec city from YYZ for the Victoria day holiday (3 of us). It would have ended up costing $450 in taxes/fees/whatever... Going to CUN was only $138!

Nice way to keep the $$$'s in Canada eh?