FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Dispute Resolution - Tips and Tales [Consolidated]
Old May 27, 2017, 6:17 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am confused, did Chase take away the initial credit? Else what is the point the rep called you about? Keep an eye on your account - you may see the rebill in coming days!

Here is my recent experience on a DCC dispute on Chase CSR that is very bizarre with a partial credit Chase promised on April 14, both over the recorded phone conversation and in letter, never show up on the account after two statement cycles. I just have a chance to deal with it due to being overseas until last Wed May 25.

I have had a DCC dispute filed in Feb with a restaurant in Dubai that they ran the card with DCC despite I told them to charge in local currency. I was never presented the option to choose (unlike in any other places in Dubai - restaurants and shops) and refused to rerun the transaction.

I was going to just eat the small difference (less than $3) but the DCC thread in the Credit Card forum swayed me to file a formal dispute on that, requesting the charge be rerun in AED.

Well, the merchant finally replied at almost deadline of losing the dispute, still refused to rerun the transaction but authorized on the "arbitration amount" of the exact DCC difference. I only learned about this when a big stack of paper came from Chase informing me the merchant contesting the dispute, and whether I accepted this or continue the dispute. The form has a deadline to return to Chase but the whole package arrived 2 days before the deadline! About 3 weeks late from the date on the covering letter...

The handling person has an extension to call back an 800 number which unless you have an extension number, you would NOT reach anyone as the recording would instruct you to call the number on the back of the card. Even with the extension number, you NEVER can reach the person, but left a message, hope the person would call you back.

After almost a week and 5 or 6 messages left, the handling person finally called back. Supposedly she was out of the office for a while. In any case she seemed totally unaware of the fact that the merchant agreed to refund the DCC difference per the paper Chase sent. Instead, she said Chase could not make the merchant rebill in local currency, but Chase would issue a partial credit (much bigger than the DCC amount btw), and take away the initial full amount credit, leaving a net amount that I would be liable to pay. She also said I did not need to send back the form, adding many customers have complained about the late mailing recently. She confirmed that a latter would be sent to me to confirm the resolution. I should see the 2 activities within 36 to 48 hours as she was putting them thru right now.

Well, I did see a NET (reversal original credit hence a rebill of full amount, minus the partial credit) being reflected in the available credit (you need to do some reconciliation to figure it out as there are also other pending charges on the card) in the next 24 hours. Then the effect disappeared. Then another day I saw the impact of FULL Rebill WITHOUT Any Credit, being reflected in the Available Credit, but no Pending to show. We were leaving on a 35 days trip the next day so I did not ever get to see when the rebill was posted before leaving home for a 16 days cruise without internet. When I finally had internet access I saw sure enough, the full amount was rebilled but there is NO partial credit as being told.

We returned home last Wed and I got my mail pile Thursday. I immediately found the Chase letter which stated exact things as the rep told me on the phone - EXCEPT, the stated partial credit has never shown up on my card now 2 statement cycles have passed.

On Friday I called the person, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Of course I haven't gotten any call back. So now I would need to wait till Tuesday and start yet another multiple calls campaign to hope to get a return call on this crappy handling by Chase.

Must say the customer service from Chase has gone downhill rapidly. They must have lost too much money on CSR launch. These days even calling the number at the back of the CSR you still have to wait and not always get a knowledgeable / helpful rep. The couple times I called the regular number when was too frustrated trying to reach the handling person on the dispute I was transferred to Philippines call center! The call center rep kept telling me I would get a letter to explain the merchant contest the dispute yet the letter took 3 weeks to arrive. And then this "nonfulfillment" of what is promised to the customer... A Big