FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Global Entry Denial and Recourse
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:48 am
JonNYC
Suspended

Originally Posted by tomterrfic
Since this seems to be the successor to the "Anyone ever" thread...

Applied for GE in February. Received denial letter within days. Reason: "Other: You do not meet the program eligibility requirements."

Since the letter said "If you believe the decision was based upon inaccurate information, you may contact the local trusted traveler Enrollment Center to schedule an appointment to speak with a supervisor," I did just that. I visited an enrollment center shortly thereafter and asked to speak with a supervisor. Supervisor gave me a spiel about how he's unable to do anything and only the ombudsman can change the decision. I ask him to at least tell me what I need to appeal. He looks at his screen, furrows his eyebrows, calls his colleague over and says "that's a contradiction, right?" Apparently the file notes said I was rejected because of a relatives immigration status, but the file notes also said that my relative had a clean immigration record (which is accurate). Confused, he proceeds to tell me there must have been a mistake, that the screener must've misunderstood what they saw and incorrectly rejected it. He encouraged me to appeal, and even told me to list his name on the appeal.

I submitted an appeal to the Ombudsman via email in May. Just got an email back from them stating that "CBP has determined that you do not meet the eligibility requirements for a Trusted Traveler Program for the reasons originally provided to you on your denial notification letter."

I've asked my Congressperson to get more information...
-If- you decide to seriously pursue it, I'd say no question that first step is to FOI all your records from all agencies. Unfortunately, when I did that, the one that came last was the one that had the information I needed-- CBP. And it took over a year, with a lawyer doing all the paperwork, follow-up, etc.

In my case-- somewhat by coincidence, it was that process and follow-up to same that led to my eventual approval for Global Entry (and, I hadn't even tried the Ombudsman route-- I knew I needed to see my actual records in order to properly address what was in there.)

Dunno if turn-around time for FOI requests to CBP have shortened at all-- I tend to assume they have-- but I also assume it will be a long wait still. Still, IMO, makes sense to know "what's in there on you" regardless.

I, too, would bet precheck will be no problem at all based on what you were told, so if you go that route, good luck!