FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:18 pm
Mr_Darcy

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
if it's only your second card should be no problem . Be prepared to move some CL from your first card to open the second , and explain the reason for a second card of the same type in the unlikely event they ask .

Obviously don't say because of the bonus, separation of spending something along those lines IF asked .
Originally Posted by epaairnow
Interesting - from your previous post you mentioned not having received the first card... I wonder if not activating before applying again causes Citi to flag something---certainly you were outside 8 days... Maybe more details for folks to sleuth this?

I'll try and provide as much info as possible here:

Applied for first Citi AA platinum on 7/6 with targeted mailer (expires 8/15) which went to pending. Called in the next day 7/7 and was approved after provided name/address/social. On 7/17 I applied again online (before I had even received/activated the first card) with the same targeted mailer and was instantly denied. The following few days I reconned 7 times.

1st recon: Woman answered and told me that they (Citi) "don't really have a reconsideration line, you'll get a letter in the mail stating why you were denied". Obviously I said thanks and immediately HUCA'ed.

2nd recon: Got the same woman as the first time and she said "didn't i just speak with you?". I pretended to have a bad connection and HUCA'ed.

3rd recon: Woman said "the second application was instantly denied for being a duplicate". I went on to say how I actually wanted 2 cards so that I could separate certain spending and having to cards would help faciliate that. Didn't get much further with her.

4th recon: Same "duplicate" response. This time I tried saying I had a small start up business that I didn't think would qualify for a business card but I still wanted to separate my expenses. Woman stated "you can't put business expenses on a personal card!". Thought that was odd and wasn't sure that that was accurate but decided to move on.

5th, 6th recon: Got similar responses hear stating that I was not allowed to qualify for two of the same "offers". They said I could apply again later and that they "keep your application on file for 90 days".

7th recon: Another woman who was quite short with me and said "you were denied and will receive a letter in the mail stating why, you can call the number on the letter".

So I decided to give up after that as didn't seem to be going anywhere. I did get my first card later that night in the mail and I activated it yesterday. CL on first card was $6500. They pulled equifax 704 which seemed quite low to me (fico is 760, pulled by amex a week ago).

Good news is I just went and checked the mail and I got another targeted mailer from Citi. Same 50k/3k different layout than the first and it expires 9/15. Will just have to wait and see...