FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AC to enforce cabin baggage size/weight
View Single Post
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:43 am
ffsim

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yvrgary
I'm wondering - how and where is anyone getting the *official* carry-on bag tags?

I believe I've had one since they were released. There doesn't seem to be any consistency at all as to when or by whom they're given out?

I don't want one, and my carry-on is generally less than half the maximum size, I'm just curious. Anecdotally, I've noticed fewer oversized bags on my flights since they stepped up the policy last year, I'm just wondering how it's being enforced.
AC agent at the entrance to YUL transborder last week asked me to place my bag in the sizer and gave me an approved tag. I'm talking about the main entrance, right after the check-in counters so the agent has no idea if you're going into the priority lane, Nexus lane or regular lane.

On the way home in LAS, the GA forced some of us to put our bags in the sizer during the boarding process which, of course, is the optimal time to do it Despite pointing out that my bag already had a tag, he insisted I size it again.

So the answer to your "how it's being enforced" question is "inconsistently"

Originally Posted by Bartolo
Transborder flight before Christmas from YYZ. Check-in agent said, "I have to weigh all roller bags". No sizer used. Given tags.
Very interesting, considering that if you're only going to verify one of the criteria, I would expect it to be the dimensions and not weight since the former is what generally causes delays during the boarding process.