FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do window shades have to be up for landing?
Old Jul 11, 2001, 5:38 pm
JonNYC
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cobber:
JonNYC

You are the only one that is right on the money. When seconds count, being able to evaluate outside conditions is crucial.
</font>

Thanks Cobber! Actually, a couple of other folks gave the correct answer also-- but I said it first!! And isn't that how we determine our winner?

Also, maybe you'd know since you're in the "biz"; when they "dim the cabin lights for take-off" is it for the same reason? i.e. less reflected glare if you are desperately looking outside trying to figure out which side has less flames/sharks?

Even in the worst parts of the world, I certainly don't think any of this is counter-sniper measures-- usually only the passengers are looking to kill other passengers.

BTW, there was a thread a ways back that was "favorite humorous pre-flight announcements" And my entry was from a SouthWest flight about 2 years ago:

"..and your seat cushion also functions as a floatation device and in the unlikely event that this flight should suddenly become a cruise, you'll be very glad you paid attention..."

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 07-11-2001).]