Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do window shades have to be up for landing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2001, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA

It's not like they obstruct the pilot's vision.

Old Jul 10, 2001, 2:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Probably to prevent air sickness.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 3:21 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Good question, Ive also wondered why...?

Maybe one of the friendly FA's on the boards can explain?
Old Jul 10, 2001, 4:15 pm
Suspended

I was under the impression that is was so passengers in a flaming/sinking hull would be able to tell which side of the plane would present a better chance of escape .
Old Jul 10, 2001, 6:11 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
In the event of a crash landing, you need to be able to see outside the plane, and rescuers need to be able to see inside the plane.

Also, if it's bright outside, the window shades are down, and you crash-land, the sudden change in brightness temporarily blinds you. Those few seconds of your eyes adjusting to the light can mean the difference between life and death!

In all honesty, the probability of a lethal closed shade is extremely small. I am temporarily joining the side of the "Safety Nazis" only because I like to look out the window (view is a little better if all the shades are up), and I like sunlight, not darkness, when it's daytime!
Old Jul 10, 2001, 6:28 pm

Also, people from the ground or outside could see that the airline is again filling up their planes, and "business" is running great.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 12:07 am

One less thing the cleaners have to do in the turn-around.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 6:53 am

Maybe an urban legend, maybe real...

A collegue of my father used to fly regularly into less than politically stable countries for his job in the oil business. He claims that several times for planes taking off after dark, the crew *insisted* all window shade were down for takeoff and the bit immediately after.

When he enquired why he was told that the lights gave something for the local snipers to aim at and that the take off run was done without any lights.

If this is true then it's quite scary. If it was an exageration then it's a quite good one!

Jason
Old Jul 11, 2001, 8:08 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's so the baggage handlers can see if you are watching them or not so they can rifle through your luggage.

It's actually for safety, so you can see outside and emergency workers can see inside if need be.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 9:38 am

JonNYC

You are the only one that is right on the money. When seconds count, being able to evaluate outside conditions is crucial.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 5:38 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Cobber:
JonNYC

You are the only one that is right on the money. When seconds count, being able to evaluate outside conditions is crucial.
</font>

Thanks Cobber! Actually, a couple of other folks gave the correct answer also-- but I said it first!! And isn't that how we determine our winner?

Also, maybe you'd know since you're in the "biz"; when they "dim the cabin lights for take-off" is it for the same reason? i.e. less reflected glare if you are desperately looking outside trying to figure out which side has less flames/sharks?

Even in the worst parts of the world, I certainly don't think any of this is counter-sniper measures-- usually only the passengers are looking to kill other passengers.

BTW, there was a thread a ways back that was "favorite humorous pre-flight announcements" And my entry was from a SouthWest flight about 2 years ago:

"..and your seat cushion also functions as a floatation device and in the unlikely event that this flight should suddenly become a cruise, you'll be very glad you paid attention..."

[This message has been edited by JonNYC (edited 07-11-2001).]
Old Jul 12, 2001, 1:27 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
In the event of a crash landing, you need to be able to see outside the plane, and rescuers need to be able to see inside the plane.
</font>
The people who aren't next to a window don't have the discomfort of having to open the window shade and it's apparently not important enough for there to be no seats next to those areas of the plane with no window, so why should the rest of us have to put up with the discomfort?

I'd be happy to take the chance on letting my eyes adjust after the crash anyhow.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 9:53 am
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Sunlight coming through the window constricts the eye pupils of everyone on the plane except those in the lavatory (of course, no one should be in the lav during take-off).

If you want darkness on a day flight, wear eye shades. You can use them at any time, including take-off and landing!
Old Jul 12, 2001, 2:18 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Kremmen:
The people who aren't next to a window don't have the discomfort of having to open the window shade ... </font>
Um... Are you joking?!
Old Jul 19, 2001, 9:19 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonNYC:

Also, maybe you'd know since you're in the "biz"; when they "dim the cabin lights for take-off" is it for the same reason? i.e. less reflected glare if you are desperately looking outside trying to figure out which side has less flames/sharks?

Jon....It's simply so that the inside and outside light are approximately the same, to save those precious seconds waiting for your eyes to adjust. The FAA gives us just 90 seconds to evacuate anywhere from 1 to 400 passengers, so anywhere we can save time can save lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.