FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)
Old Jun 23, 2014, 6:15 am
pyxis

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
InterContinental Vienna

InterContinental Vienna

What is your Priority Club status?
Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
I know this is a popular hotel amongst RAs, so please forgive me in advance - but my experience was only 'so-so'.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest available, pre-paid rate with breakfast package. Received the choice of an upgrade to a Suite or Club Lounge Access. Given we were in Vienna to visit friends, we opted for a Suite - as we were hardly in the hotel, except to sleep and get ready in the morning, and breakfast was already included in the rate booked.

How are the rooms?
Arrived in Vienna very late. I always request a non-smoking room, this preference is saved to my profile and visible on each booking I make. Upon arriving, I was asked about my smoking room preference - and I asked for non-smoking. Upon arriving, the room was in fact a smoking room - with ashtrays scattered around the room, and a feint stale smoke smell. Given our arrival time, we were so very desperate to get some sleep, and the smell was bearable, but I did find this a little annoying. The room was old, and in need of some basic refurbishments. It was spacious, but it was just one larger-than-normal room with bed, TV and couch all together. I don't think I would put this in the category of a 'suite', but I guess it probably scrapes in based on size and additional furnishings (coffee table and couch). Carpet and curtains were dirty, sheets smelled old, a little unpleasant and smokey. Problem with the shower - water was often extremely HOT ('burn your skin' hot). Upon enquiring about this, we were advised that the hotel was experiencing problems and all rooms were the same (!!??). Mini-Bar was well stocked but never replenished.

How is the exec. lounge?
N/A - as above, opted for suite rather than access. I can see based on previous reviews here on FT, other RAs have received a suite upgrade AND Club Access, but it wasn't offered to me and I didn't ask for it.

What was your welcome gift?
A small bottle of wine, chocolates and a cake.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes, standard assortment.

What was good and what was bad?

Good
- Location is great
- Train across the road and trams at the rear of the hotel
- For the last night of the stay, I used points for a Rewards Night redemption, as we were leaving the hotel at 4.00 am. They kindly offered for us to remain in the same room despite a Rewards Night

Bad
- Room furnishings are old, and a little dirty / stained, as mentioned above when describing our room
- Breakfast spread was large but not great, service almost non-existent
- Mini-Bar never replenished - we aren't big drinkers, and basically only ever use the sparking waters and perhaps a juice on occasion

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
The rate was reasonable, but not super-cheap. I really don't feel I received value for $ here, although, I am thankful to have remained in the same room for the last night of our stay when booked on points rather than having to pack up and move rooms.

Would you return?
Based on this experience, probably not.