FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2014)
Old Mar 10, 2014, 7:05 am
patmcpsu

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
IC Washington The Willard

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
We may have gotten our hopes up too much.

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked a Deluxe room (w/ two queen beds) for four people using the Early Booking rate. Upgraded to a Junior Suite (w/ two double beds).

How are the rooms?
The Junior Suite isn't shown on the hotel's website, and it turned out to be the optional extension that can be added to the Oval Suite. The two double beds are placed against the walls to make the smallish beds feel even smaller. There was only a single bathroom and minibar are in the suite, but it did have two TV's. Not nearly as elaborate as an Executive Suite, and the Deluxe room probably offered a better sleeping arrangement. All that being said, I would probably still prefer the Junior Suite over the Deluxe Room.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Incomplete. The fruit was able to find its way to the room, but the gift and mineral water never came.

How was the minibar?
Quality over quantity. The Moet was a great treat, but limited selection otherwise. There was only one miniature bottle each of gin, bourbon and scotch. Decent amount of vodka, beer and wine. 2nd minibar would have been useful for the one-offs.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good
* The hotel itself is amazing.
* The front desk treatment at check-in was spot-on. They even remembered me the next day when I came to get my room key replaced.

-Bad
* Inconsistent room upgrades. I would assume you're getting the Junior suite and be pleasantly surprised if you get anything beyond that.
* The Round Robin Bar was not nearly as impressive as I hoped. It may actually have been the ugliest room in the building (which isn't saying much).

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
If you can get a good rate on a room, yes.

Would you return?
I already have an awards stay booked next month for the Cherry Blossom Festival, but am not expecting much of the RA treatment after this experience. I would return only because of the beautiful hotel, not the RA benefits.