FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2014, 11:18 pm
CCFP

Programs: Elite for AC, SPG, PP, FPC
A literal round-the-world booked in April 2013 for travel in Sep - Oct 2013. Be sure to look at the asterisk notes for explanations.

YVR-SFO UA J
SFO-PEK UA J *
PEK-BKK UA J * stopover
BKK-ADD ET J **
ADD-BLZ ET economy*** (with a 1hr stop in LLW) turnaround
BLZ-ADD ET J ****
ADD-IST ET J
IST-IAH UA J *****
IAH-YVR UA J

Original booking taxes & fees: $57.93 per person

Now for the most complicated itinerary change notes you might ever read in this thread (note the date these occurred is different than order they appear in the itinerary):

* Aug 2013: Changed to SFO-ICN UA J after reading about the horrors of transiting in PEK in a few threads like this!!!

** Sep 2013: Tried to OLCI for this flight and found out online the flight did not exist. Checked the ET website, phoned ET, checked the BKK website - no luck. Called Aeroplan in a panic and was told they couldn't confirm this flight any more. They then booked me on a flight for the PREVIOUS day, and told me to "just show up at the airport, tell them you have a valid voucher for BKK-ADD for a different day that you want to use that day." I told them this was absolutely unacceptable and finally received a less acceptable (but more existent) routing to ADD:
BKK-BOM TG J
BOM-ADD ET J

*** May 2013: Called Aeroplan and was able to change this to J class after checking often then finally seeing the space open up on the Aeroplan website

**** Sep 2013: After the mixup in ** the Aeroplan agent changed my return flights out of the kindness of her heart (much to my initial anger because I had booked a hotel room for the overnight in YYZ that you can see in note ***** below!!!) . New flights were MUCH better and the ones we ultimately took home:
BLZ-JNB SA J
JNB-FRA LH J
FRA-YVR LH J

***** July 2013: Called Aeroplan after I found out that one of the ADD-BLZ flights they had me booked on had been cancelled on by the airline. Aeroplan agent was surprised to hear this, but told me that they were eventually going to cal me ("closer to the flight date") that the IAH-YVR routing was re-scheduled to a few hours earlier so I would miss it. They eventually changed it to:
IST-YYZ TK J overnight
YYZ-YVR AC J
Eventually didn't matter because of the change in **** that occurred two months later.

Edit: Worthwhile to note that this was booked before I knew anything about the help of Expertflyer or KVS - called the Aeroplan agent telling her I wanted to go to BLZ, and asked for help finding flights over the Atlantic. She eventually suggested finding flights over the Pacific, which worked much better. She tried a few options which exceeded 5% over MPM (which I knew nothing about at the time) but helpfully suggested other options and she is the one who came up with the itinerary.

Also worth noting: TG J is a life experience. Outstanding service.

Last edited by CCFP; Jan 22, 2014 at 11:57 pm