FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2013, 2:55 pm
leftpinky

Originally Posted by sp4294
Please tell us know what happened.
So I got it booked with perhaps the most helpful agent ever. Actually, I had one booked originally that was something like SFO-DPS, DPS-BKK-IST-TLV; TLV-IST-ROME; ROME-Beijing-SFO, put that on hold as there were issues transfering AMEX points. Called back and got an agent who couldnt understand me (phone connection or whatever, but I knew she wasnt going to be helpful, so I called back--2 of 3 great agents is not bad) it was way over miles + the going through IST twice may have been issues. You cant really do a city twice plus going from SFO to Rome via Asia, you cant come all the way back via Asia. Glad to get rid of Air Asia business class too. Last time we were on it, in April, the flight attendant was picking her nose before serving food!

So, I ended up with:

SFO-TPE-DPS (same as original) On EVA
DPS-SIN-KUL-IST-TLV Have a 15 hour layover in IST; Sin to KUL and then Turkish. SIN-KUL is 55 mins and in coach. Looks like KUL-IST is angled flat...eh
TLV-Vienna Austrian Air
Vienna-Warsaw-YYZ-SFO LOT in the 787 to YYZ, then AC to SFO

So we had issues going to Italy, but Vienna not too far from Italy. Also, there was not award availability for late July (yet) from Europe to US in J, so we had to be really flexible, so I'll probably have to call and change if we want the last three days. We could have booked in coach and prayed for Lufthansa J to open up (Air Canada doesnt charge to upgrade a segment if it is in a lower class, evidently), but we decided to come back a couple days earlier. Right now, we're booked to come back last week of July, but may push it back 3 days and then still do Italy.

Total taxes and phone booking fees are about $250: just got a call from AC saying my credit card (AMEX Plat) didnt go through for whatever reason and need to call back, so doing that now.

We'll see. There is a new Park Hyatt opening in Vienna early next year, so we're hoping to stay there now and maybe go to Budapest.

Last edited by leftpinky; Aug 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm