FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 am
rthib
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Remember that the sales guys is there for you.

A great way to pass the time is to ask him about the area.
Restaurants, Activities, anything at the resort location that most people miss.

I actually find the quiet useful. Also, if you are thinking about going somewhere else ask them about it.

Since part of the sales pitch is about trading, they usually have some good info on other locations.

Treat it as a learning session not a sales pitch and it can be fun.

Also, if you do not buy they will sometime offer you an "encore" trip.
Basically, a cheaper rate to come back (or maybe go to another location).
Sometimes they are good deal and sometimes you can get similar price.
Just read the fine print and usually they will let you decide on encore before you leave, so you do not have to sign then.
The last time we used the - "We need to check our calendar" and that worked.

One final note - Don't lie. If you are not interested, saying you are just wastes both your time. If you are only there for the points, you can say "I just came for the points" or no, but you don't get anything special for acting interested other than a longer presentation as he wants to make sure you stay sold. And if you agree to 90 minutes and it is 91 minutes, a polite - "This was only supposed to be 90 minutes, and we really only came for the points, thank you for your time, but we need to go" works great.

Finally if everything sounds great and you really want to buy -
DO NOT BUY ON YOUR FIRST TRIP!!!!!!

If you like what you hear, do some research.
Whatever special deal they are offering that is only for today - they will offer it again if you ask.

I own two Marriott time shares and love them both. But I bought them at a different time and while they work for me, they may not work for you.
Everyone is different. Have fun.

My rule of thumb, if it will not impact my vacation then do them. If it would change things, then don't.

Also, be sure to ask if they have an bonus for early meetings.
We usually go for Marriott Bucks (Pays for wife's massage). They usually throw in an extra $50 if you schedule early. For us, we do the presentation so we get free pastries, get the money and are usually back before the teenagers are up.