FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International award tickets for a not-yet-born baby?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
cnlklink

Programs: AA EXP; WN; SPG; Hyatt
International award tickets for a not-yet-born baby?

I'm trying to take the family to Asia in August. Caveat: wife and I are expecting #2 in early Feb. I'm looking to use miles to book the wife and kids into Business class and purchasing myself an economy ticket to upgrade with SWUs. The availability (U and C) is there for mid August.

Called AA yesterday morning and I was able to put the seats on hold. Then called back last night to pay and was told they couldn't issue the tickets without a DOB. Rep suggested I book the rest of the family now and try again for the baby after he/she is born. This is not acceptable to me because it doesn't seem likely that the award availability will be there 4 months from now. I would prefer to travel in August. I suppose if I can't get these seats ticketed, I will need to wait until Feb to book, which could mean traveling as late as December.

I've read several threads here discussing how to ticket an unborn child, but most of the suggestions offered deal with domestic travel. My understanding from those threads is you can get away with this domestically because there is no ID requirement for under-two's to travel. My question is: has anyone been able to do this on AA? Recently?