Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International award tickets for a not-yet-born baby?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; WN; SPG; Hyatt
International award tickets for a not-yet-born baby?

I'm trying to take the family to Asia in August. Caveat: wife and I are expecting #2 in early Feb. I'm looking to use miles to book the wife and kids into Business class and purchasing myself an economy ticket to upgrade with SWUs. The availability (U and C) is there for mid August.

Called AA yesterday morning and I was able to put the seats on hold. Then called back last night to pay and was told they couldn't issue the tickets without a DOB. Rep suggested I book the rest of the family now and try again for the baby after he/she is born. This is not acceptable to me because it doesn't seem likely that the award availability will be there 4 months from now. I would prefer to travel in August. I suppose if I can't get these seats ticketed, I will need to wait until Feb to book, which could mean traveling as late as December.

I've read several threads here discussing how to ticket an unborn child, but most of the suggestions offered deal with domestic travel. My understanding from those threads is you can get away with this domestically because there is no ID requirement for under-two's to travel. My question is: has anyone been able to do this on AA? Recently?
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Why do you want to get a full award ticket for what I'm assuming will be a lap infant? You can get the award tickets for adults and other children, and then call AA to get a lap infant ticket which should be 10% of what the non-award fare cost should be.

Pray for everyone involved that you don't have a colic-y baby in J on a flight to Asia
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; WN; SPG; Hyatt
Why do you want to get a full award ticket for what I'm assuming will be a lap infant?
Understood, but my wife and I are committed to restraining the baby in a car seat for over-seas travel.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Does the dr have an anticipated due date? If so use that date and change it later.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by cnlklink
I'm trying to take the family to Asia in August. Caveat: wife and I are expecting #2 in early Feb. I'm looking to use miles to book the wife and kids into Business class and purchasing myself an economy ticket to upgrade with SWUs. The availability (U and C) is there for mid August.

Called AA yesterday morning and I was able to put the seats on hold. Then called back last night to pay and was told they couldn't issue the tickets without a DOB. Rep suggested I book the rest of the family now and try again for the baby after he/she is born. This is not acceptable to me because it doesn't seem likely that the award availability will be there 4 months from now. I would prefer to travel in August. I suppose if I can't get these seats ticketed, I will need to wait until Feb to book, which could mean traveling as late as December.

I've read several threads here discussing how to ticket an unborn child, but most of the suggestions offered deal with domestic travel. My understanding from those threads is you can get away with this domestically because there is no ID requirement for under-two's to travel. My question is: has anyone been able to do this on AA? Recently?
The only way I can think of doing this is to book the ticket with an arbitrary name, DOB, and gender (unless you have decided on the name and know the gender already), and once the child is born, call back and ask for a name change on the ticket.

Even if the agent is willing to do the name change (and it can be done, though it is done rarely), it must be an all AA itinerary.

Time to agent shop!
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Reserve two award seats for your wife (use "Xtra Seat" as the passenger name, the same way that you would for a fat person or a cello).

Then after the baby is born, you can see if the EXP desk can work some magic to convert the Extra Seat to the baby's name. Even if it involves cancelling the extra seat and re-purchasing the award ticket, that should be free for an EXP. The EXP desk should be able to contact revenue management, explain the special circumstances, and ensure the inventory is re-released into the same award inventory so that you can re-book it for the baby.

If they refuse to change "Xtra Seat", (extremely unlikely, IMO) you can add the baby as a lap child and still use the extra seat. The worst possible outcome I can see is that you will be out the 10% lap child fee.

Last edited by janetdoe; Oct 9, 2012 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Not surprisingly, this issue has come up many times in the past on the AAdvantage forum as well as on other fora. Lots of information on FT already.

Search term {unborn}

Here are a few of the 20+ threads:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...orn-child.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...orn-child.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...born-baby.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...med-child.html
Old Oct 13, 2012, 3:34 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Understood, but my wife and I are committed to restraining the baby in a car seat for over-seas travel.
^
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
^
Vowwww.... So a car seat in a lie flat business class seat. I am sure you will be the talk of the town OR at least talk of the plane :-)
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Vowwww.... So a car seat in a lie flat business class seat. I am sure you will be the talk of the town OR at least talk of the plane :-)
Having a child in a car seat is the safest way to restrain him/her. In case of turbulence the baby can slip from the arms. If restrained in a seat (regardless if it lies flat or not) is much much better.

Also if OP wants to use his miles for this, not sure why he's getting flak about it. It's his prerogative.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by living near shamu
not sure why he's getting flak about it..
It's FlyerTalk, that's why.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: Former AA EXP; 2M Lifetime PLT member-
cant imagine traveling in business class or first class with a crying baby for the haul... i hope it does not happen on any of my flights....
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
I can't imagine that people with a child would need to travel. I'm convinced they should sit at home until the kids are at least 15. Grandma and Grandpa can come visit them, even though Grandpa just had a stroke and can't walk very well.

Old Oct 14, 2012, 8:15 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Having a child in a car seat is the safest way to restrain him/her. In case of turbulence the baby can slip from the arms. If restrained in a seat (regardless if it lies flat or not) is much much better.

Also if OP wants to use his miles for this, not sure why he's getting flak about it. It's his prerogative.
He is completely free to do that. I just found it amusing and so will other traditional passengers on the flight. In all my flights so far (probably 750+ in 12 yrs), I have never seen a Car Seat in Business/First on a domestic or international flight (always seen them in coach).

As for him spending his miles, he is free to block the entire Business Class even using Standard Awards if needed. His choice and his miles.

As a member of FT, it is out duty to advise flyers on getting the best of their miles. After that it is completely their own choice.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by worldtraveler19
cant imagine traveling in business class or first class with a crying baby for the haul... i hope it does not happen on any of my flights....
I flew a double redeye in business with a 1 year old, he did great, and made platinum. MVD-MIA-ORD-DEL, back when AA flew to Delhi. Really babies are pretty easy to travel with, it's kids old enough to get bored and want to explore, but not yet old enough to be able to really plug in and watch videos which are the problems.

Btw, you'd have to pay %10 of a full business fare to do the infant in seat even if the rest of you are on miles. The way it works out, it makes more sense to get the baby a seat using miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.