FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - To split or not to split PNR {Archive}
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:48 am
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mike0822
What I am worried about though is the return flight. When the PNR was split, did it still assign her my gold status? I'm guessing not, since when I go into her PNR, economy plus seats cost $$. So what happens when the return flight comes around: is she now not eligible to be put on the upgrade list, since her PNR has been split off from mine? Or does the system know to still automatically add her to the upgrade list with premier gold status?
To answer your question, the way the benefit is described, it is supposed to assign her your status throughout the itin. In reality, including personal experience, it doesn't. Agents should be able to tell through the PNR that it was split but the computer, ie CPU system, can't.

You should be able to add her as your companion at the airport on your return, in which case, she'll be on the list right after you, or if you clear beforehand, based on your status.

I've also had experience clicking no to being added to upgrade list at check in to avoid a split. My experience with this is that you stay on the same PNR, but for the return, you will clear CPU per the way it's supposed to be done - together, based on status. However, if you don't clear by check in, you will not have an option to be added to the upgrade list, as their will be a do not upgrade notation on your record from the outbound. You'll have to find a really good agent, and have a bit of time to have this happen. In addition, youll only be allowed to be added at the airport of departure for each flight, meaning for any connection, you'll only be able to do this once you arrive at that connection point.