FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip on Air Singapore and to SIN
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2012, 9:29 am
aster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by enelym1978
I don't think it's illegal to bring in cigarettes... it's just not tax free. Do not buy an entire cigarette carton at your departure airport. You will have to declare them at your arrival in SIN. My friends from Switzerland did that once and they did not get fined, they just had to pay the taxes (quite high for alcohol and cigarettes) at customs.

Same for chewing gum. It's not forbidden to bring some in, in reasonable amounts. Every time I travel for business, I always bring back a few packs because I'm just used to chew right after a meal... Of course, don't go spitting it out on the street, you'd get a fine for that. But nobody will arrest you because you're chewing a gum. A lot of tourists do that actually, without knowing it's kind of a no-no in Singapore. I doubt it's illegal
Of course, the issue is about tax. You are not allowed to bring in any cigarettes without paying duty on them. Before you could bring in an already-open pack and go straight through the green customs area, but nowadays you are not allowed to bring any cigarettes in unless you pay tax on them.

As for gum, I don't think you can bring in multiple packs, just one if it has already been opened.