First trip on Air Singapore and to SIN

Old May 26, 2012, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Hi All - in the next few weeks I'll embark on my first trip to Singapore and my first experience on Air Singapore. I'll be there for about 5 days for work. I'm hoping I can get some feedback as to what I can expect from Air Singapore, and from Singapore in general.

Flight Details:
EWR - SIN on Air Singapore, Business Class on the Airbus A380-500.

1) I hear this aircraft is all business class and very comfortable. Opinions?

2) What can I expect from the AVOD? Will I be set, or should I load up on my own content? I read that there is an input jack at the seat for your iPhone/iPad so you can play your own media.

3) I noticed I can select what I would like to eat for the various meals on the website. Pretty impressive - I've done my share of international travel, but have never seen this option. Recommendations?

4) I have a Verizon Droid Incredible 2 - can I expect this to work at all in Singapore (aside from wifi)? If not, recommendations? Get a pre-paid? Buy a cheap global phone (maybe not a smartphone)? This isn't going to be a regular trip for me.. just occasionally, but it would be worth having a phone I could use internationally for more than just this trip.

Thanks in advance for any input!

- TT
Old May 26, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: QFF Plat, OZ*G, HH Gold

You mean singapore airline and A340-500?
You can use book the chef, see: http://www.singaporeair.com/jsp/cms/en_UK/flying_with_us/businessnyc.jsp
Old May 26, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
First of all, Air Singapore doesn't exist. It's SQ or Singapore Airlines.

Answer to #4 on your list...

Depending on your phone's data plan and or international use T&Cs, your phone will connect to either StarHub or SingTel - the two major carriers in Singapore. They both offer 3G networks and have pretty good coverage except for the underground MRT system (in some places).

Singapore is a fun city for a few days. If you have some extra time, be sure to check out the Botanical Gardens, Singapore Night Safari, go to Raffles and have -ONE- Singapore Sling, go eat some food at the outdoor food stalls, and go up on the Marina Bay Sands sky deck for an amazing view. If you're feeling like some cultural flavor, head to Little India or China Town. If you're staying inside the city, check out Chijmes for some really fun bars (especially the Spanish Tapas bar with outrageous Sangria). Clarke Quay also has some good eats and some weird bars/clubs.

Things you can skip: Singapore Flyer (think London Eye, but slower), Hop On Hop Off buses, any sort of bus tour, Resorts World Sentosa.

Have a great time in Singapore. Stay away from the durians, leave your gum at home, and don't bring in any cigarettes. Lastly and most importantly, don't forget to pick up some duty free when you land. You can buy 6 cans of beer and one bottle of hard spirits as a tourist. Alcohol is insanely expensive, so if you drink at all, it might be wise to get something for your room to save you a small fortune on bar tabs.

Have fun!
Old May 26, 2012, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BankerManUSA
First of all, Air Singapore doesn't exist. It's SQ or Singapore Airlines.

Answer to #4 on your list...

Depending on your phone's data plan and or international use T&Cs, your phone will connect to either StarHub or SingTel - the two major carriers in Singapore. They both offer 3G networks and have pretty good coverage except for the underground MRT system (in some places).

Singapore is a fun city for a few days. If you have some extra time, be sure to check out the Botanical Gardens, Singapore Night Safari, go to Raffles and have -ONE- Singapore Sling, go eat some food at the outdoor food stalls, and go up on the Marina Bay Sands sky deck for an amazing view. If you're feeling like some cultural flavor, head to Little India or China Town. If you're staying inside the city, check out Chijmes for some really fun bars (especially the Spanish Tapas bar with outrageous Sangria). Clarke Quay also has some good eats and some weird bars/clubs.

Things you can skip: Singapore Flyer (think London Eye, but slower), Hop On Hop Off buses, any sort of bus tour, Resorts World Sentosa.

Have a great time in Singapore. Stay away from the durians, leave your gum at home, and don't bring in any cigarettes. Lastly and most importantly, don't forget to pick up some duty free when you land. You can buy 6 cans of beer and one bottle of hard spirits as a tourist. Alcohol is insanely expensive, so if you drink at all, it might be wise to get something for your room to save you a small fortune on bar tabs.

Have fun!
Ug - sorry, you're right about the airline name, don't know what I was thinking there. I was also wrong about the aircraft - sure enough its the A340-500.

Great feedback here, thank you very much! Glad to know there will be CDMA network(s) available. My biggest concern is keeping in touch with the homefront.

I'm curious about the leaving gum at home and not bringing any cigarettes - both big no-no's going through immigration?

I'll believe I'll be staying at the Fullerton- which comes recommended from a co-worker.

Thanks again - any other feedback on my other items is greatly appreciated.

- TT
Old May 26, 2012, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TekTrek
Ug - sorry, you're right about the airline name, don't know what I was thinking there. I was also wrong about the aircraft - sure enough its the A340-500.

Great feedback here, thank you very much! Glad to know there will be CDMA network(s) available. My biggest concern is keeping in touch with the homefront.

I'm curious about the leaving gum at home and not bringing any cigarettes - both big no-no's going through immigration?

I'll believe I'll be staying at the Fullerton- which comes recommended from a co-worker.

Thanks again - any other feedback on my other items is greatly appreciated.

- TT
Search is always your friend http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...340-500-a.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...flight-ny.html and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...er-merged.html
You'll have no issues with chewing gum or cigarettes.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; May 26, 2012 at 4:45 pm Reason: added cancellation and what to do in SIN threads
Old May 26, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Staying at the Fullerton I'd definitely do the full river cruise.

As for gum, they used to waive you by if you simply had an open pack. As for cigarettes, you are NOT allowed to bring ANY in nowadays. They used to allow an already open/used pack, but now it's no cigarettes whatsoever.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by aster
Staying at the Fullerton I'd definitely do the full river cruise.

As for gum, they used to waive you by if you simply had an open pack. As for cigarettes, you are NOT allowed to bring ANY in nowadays. They used to allow an already open/used pack, but now it's no cigarettes whatsoever.
What is up with the no gum?

I will be going HKG-SIN in September for vacation and like to chew gum on the plane for my ears.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:16 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
They don't sell gum here which is why you aren't supposed to bring it in either. Having said that you can buy a pack or Orbit gum at the chemists for like $5 or so...
Old May 27, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by apodo77
What is up with the no gum?
Keeps the footpaths(sidewalks) much cleaner, largely free of gum-stains, compared to people just spitting them out wherever they want.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Fullerton is an iconic hotel in the historic post office building. It's a great location for walking to museums and entertainment areas, but I prefer the quieter bars and restaurants further up along the river versus the first few blocks of touristic places at Clarke Quay.
Old May 30, 2012, 12:53 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Plat, BAEC Silver, TP Gold
I don't think it's illegal to bring in cigarettes... it's just not tax free. Do not buy an entire cigarette carton at your departure airport. You will have to declare them at your arrival in SIN. My friends from Switzerland did that once and they did not get fined, they just had to pay the taxes (quite high for alcohol and cigarettes) at customs.

Same for chewing gum. It's not forbidden to bring some in, in reasonable amounts. Every time I travel for business, I always bring back a few packs because I'm just used to chew right after a meal... Of course, don't go spitting it out on the street, you'd get a fine for that. But nobody will arrest you because you're chewing a gum. A lot of tourists do that actually, without knowing it's kind of a no-no in Singapore. I doubt it's illegal

For your cellphone, I would double check... I am not sure Singtel or Starhub are using CDMA. They are mainly on GSM here. Verizon is mainly CDMA (except maybe for the iPhones recently?).
Old May 30, 2012, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Fullerton is an iconic hotel in the historic post office building. It's a great location for walking to museums and entertainment areas, but I prefer the quieter bars and restaurants further up along the river versus the first few blocks of touristic places at Clarke Quay.
Try Fullerton Bay Hotel across the road. It's newer and a lot more chic! My favourite spot is drinks at Lantern by the swimming pool at sunset when the Marina Bay Sands light and sound show comes on... enjoy!
Old May 30, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by enelym1978
I don't think it's illegal to bring in cigarettes... it's just not tax free. Do not buy an entire cigarette carton at your departure airport. You will have to declare them at your arrival in SIN. My friends from Switzerland did that once and they did not get fined, they just had to pay the taxes (quite high for alcohol and cigarettes) at customs.

Same for chewing gum. It's not forbidden to bring some in, in reasonable amounts. Every time I travel for business, I always bring back a few packs because I'm just used to chew right after a meal... Of course, don't go spitting it out on the street, you'd get a fine for that. But nobody will arrest you because you're chewing a gum. A lot of tourists do that actually, without knowing it's kind of a no-no in Singapore. I doubt it's illegal
Of course, the issue is about tax. You are not allowed to bring in any cigarettes without paying duty on them. Before you could bring in an already-open pack and go straight through the green customs area, but nowadays you are not allowed to bring any cigarettes in unless you pay tax on them.

As for gum, I don't think you can bring in multiple packs, just one if it has already been opened.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:42 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Originally Posted by TekTrek
3) I noticed I can select what I would like to eat for the various meals on the website. Pretty impressive - I've done my share of international travel, but have never seen this option. Recommendations?
I would recommend booking chicken rice for the flight back from Singapore.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by anaidross
I would recommend booking chicken rice for the flight back from Singapore.
That is quite an acquired taste especially for westerners ...

Best for OP to choose his own!

Bear in mind that you may still choose what is offered on the plane should you decide that the special meal you chose is not to your liking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.